Picture of Rifle Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here ya go-

Im 5'6" and when fully down its about at my neck, fully up (I ride sometimes fully up when on freeway with wife in tow...very, very minimal buffeting for her) its right above the top of my helmet. When fully up, at 70 MPH, its calm enough in front of my face I could probably light a match. Or very close. The last pics are with it fully up.

Hi,

Thanks for showing the pics and I'm happy to find another 5'6" person as height seems to be a big factor in windshield preference.

I am also 5'6" (30" inseam if relevant) and looking for a better windshield. Just want to ensure I got this right -- you're running a 3" taller Rifle shield on a gen2 right?

Do you have the seat in lowest position?

The stock shield is very quiet (at least to me) if I duck down a few inches to get get the air off of the top of my helmet. I'd like to sit upright and have to wind on top of my helmet. I already ordered a Laminar lip for my OEM shield -- I heard that works good for my height but for Winter, extra cold air protection would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dennis

Here ya go-

Im 5'6" and when fully down its about at my neck, fully up (I ride sometimes fully up when on freeway with wife in tow...very, very minimal buffeting for her) its right above the top of my helmet. When fully up, at 70 MPH, its calm enough in front of my face I could probably light a match. Or very close. The last pics are with it fully up.

Hi,

Thanks for showing the pics and I'm happy to find another 5'6" person as height seems to be a big factor in windshield preference.

I am also 5'6" (30" inseam if relevant) and looking for a better windshield. Just want to ensure I got this right -- you're running a 3" taller Rifle shield on a gen2 right?

Do you have the seat in lowest position?

The stock shield is very quiet (at least to me) if I duck down a few inches to get get the air off of the top of my helmet. I'd like to sit upright and have to wind on top of my helmet. I already ordered a Laminar lip for my OEM shield -- I heard that works good for my height but for Winter, extra cold air protection would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dennis
I have a Corbin, so sit about 1/2 - 3/4" lower than stock seat in its lowest position.

If you think the stock is quiet, wait till you put a Rifle on ;)

Boy, that's the first report I've heard of the stock shield being quiet. Mine's sure not but I'm 6'2" so maybe that's why. I have about 400 miles on my 3+4+ and really like it. I like to look over the shield so I went a little shorter. I'm really happy with it. It is dead quiet all the way up with very laminar airflow. A couple inches down and I get some wind noise but not like the stocker. A nice breeze on the upper part of my helmet. All the way down of course there is wind noise but much quieter and smoother air flow than the stock shield. I think this shield is going to work out very well for me. I like it!

Hey Dennis

I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I was able to take a ride on a friends 2007 Genll with a +3+4 rifle on it before I ordered mine last week. I too, can get into the quiet zone on the stock with substantial slouching and the screen fully extended, not very comfortable. I keep my seat in the lower position but the 07 I tested with the rifle had the stock seat in the upper position. Like mab864 said, the airflow is much smoother when in the down position at 60mph. I only have to raise the screen up about 2/3 of the way in order to find virtually the same quiet that I find slouching behind the stock.

Let us know how the laminar lip works for you