Pilot Roads on an F4i

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extrememarine

Reaction score
A friend wants to put Pilot Roads on her '05 F4i (took a nail to rear tire). Her husband has PR's on his CBR1100XX, and she likes how the handle on that bike. I know PR's are more touring oriented, but has anyone had any experience with them on a lighter sportbike?

She is a very conservative rider, not scraping pegs or sliders, and most of our riding is straight roads with a trip or 2 a year up to the mountains (deals gap, N. GA area).

thx

-wr

A friend wants to put Pilot Roads on her '05 F4i (took a nail to rear tire). Her husband has PR's on his CBR1100XX, and she likes how the handle on that bike. I know PR's are more touring oriented, but has anyone had any experience with them on a lighter sportbike? She is a very conservative rider, not scraping pegs or sliders, and most of our riding is straight roads with a trip or 2 a year up to the mountains (deals gap, N. GA area).

thx

-wr
If she is not a track day reg. then she should be fine, A friend of mine has an 06 FJR and he does scrape pegs and is a very fast rider in the mountians and he has put 11k miles on a set of Pilot Roads and hasn't hit the wear markers yet but he is very close.

Then again he got his bike in mid May and just turned 20k miles on it.

I would say that the PR's would be a good choice for her... THe F4i does not have the weight or the torque so the tire will last a long time.

My only concern would be the grip in cooler weather on the light bike, But as you said, She rides mostly straight roads and is conservative on the throttle, So it's a good choice, IMO

I would say that the PR's would be a good choice for her... THe F4i does not have the weight or the torque so the tire will last a long time.My only concern would be the grip in cooler weather on the light bike, But as you said, She rides mostly straight roads and is conservative on the throttle, So it's a good choice, IMO
I thought Mich discontinued the Pilot Roads and replaced them with the Pilot Sports... ?

For the sport bike I would highly recommend getting Pilot Powers. Like was said earlier PR will be sliding where PW will be holding. She will need this on your Gap trip. I was able to get over 6K on Powers on my FZ1.

A friend wants to put Pilot Roads on her '05 F4i (took a nail to rear tire). Her husband has PR's on his CBR1100XX, and she likes how the handle on that bike. I know PR's are more touring oriented, but has anyone had any experience with them on a lighter sportbike? She is a very conservative rider, not scraping pegs or sliders, and most of our riding is straight roads with a trip or 2 a year up to the mountains (deals gap, N. GA area).

thx

-wr
I know someone who has them on an FZ-1, and we traded bikes the other day. His bike, between the PRs and the Traxxion Suspension work is pure riding nirvana.

thx

-wr

Just curious.... what is an F4i?

model numbers differ here...especially for japanese bikes.... !

It's Honda's more streetable sport bike, the CBR600-F4i ( CBR600F [not to be confused with the CBF], revision 4, fuel injected ). It's a sweet machine, and among the most comfortable of the 600cc class sport bikes. With the exception of the Katana, I found it to be (for me), the most comfortable of the faired, "lean over" sport bikes.

Here's the '06 I had:

bike01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin,

Chornbe hit it; the CBR600F4i is Honda's more street oriented 600 class sportbike over here. The CBR600RR was aimed more at track/racing side and F4i continued on as more street rider oriented. Kawi did the same with the ZX6r (636) and zx6rr (600cc class repli-racer), Suzuki with the GSXR-600 and Katana.

Thanks all for the input.

wr

A friend wants to put Pilot Roads on her '05 F4i (took a nail to rear tire). Her husband has PR's on his CBR1100XX, and she likes how the handle on that bike. I know PR's are more touring oriented, but has anyone had any experience with them on a lighter sportbike?

She is a very conservative rider, not scraping pegs or sliders, and most of our riding is straight roads with a trip or 2 a year up to the mountains (deals gap, N. GA area).

thx

-wr

Just curious.... what is an F4i?

model numbers differ here...especially for japanese bikes.... !

Pilot Roads should work fine for the type of riding you're talking about.

Here's the F4i I had before the FJR.

f4i.jpg