Pinlock Visors - Anyone use them?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaharaJp99

Reaction score
I just saw a pinlock visor for the first time. Seems like a great idea. Currently I carry two visors with me, one clear, and one smoke. I like the idea of the additional anti-fog features of the Pinlock, and the inserts look like they would pack a lot easier than the visors do.

Anyone have any experience with them?

I have been using a clear one on my RF1000 for a couple years now strictly for the anti-fog properties. I wouldn't want to be without it as it works way better than anything else I've tried. If I want sun protection, I put on my sunglasses, they pack real easy.

I use it too, but not sure I'd want to keep changing out from clear to smoke and back. While it's not too terribly difficult to change them out, it would be an extra step, and (at least for me) you'd have to be very careful not to get annoying fingerprint smudges on the inside of the insert. Something that is probably more prone to happen when you're out and about.

Put my first Pinlock (clear) into my RF1000 this week and liked it. Worked like a charm riding in to work in the mornings. No negative side-effects that I can tell, and I do plan to keep using the sunglasses vs changing either the insert or the shield. Go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up my first clear pinlock visor last fall...what a world of difference it made through the winter! Zero fog no matter the weather. I pretty much leave the pinlock visor in place and just use sunglasses now.

I have both smoke and clear inserts. On my RF1000, there is a gap between the top of the insert and the top of the shield that I find more annoying with the smoke shield. My smoke shield arrived after the "cold" season in Phoenix, so my primary reason for getting it (my sunglasses fogging due to the head sock I wear) was moot. I'll see how well it does next winter.

I just got a pinlock, and it is one of those things I wonder how I lived without. It works absolutely fantastic. I will never go without one on my clear visor again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be VERY EASY on Cleaning the Pinlock Visor...they are made of a Softer Material than the Visor and Scratch Easily.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like for fog duty it would work well. I didn't think about the gaps around the smoke shield, I think that would drive me nuts. Also, doesn't sound like swapping them out twice a day is the best idea. Looks like I might order a clear one for winter riding and still keep my smoke shield and swap them out. I can't do the sunglasses thing, gives me a major headache in no time at all.

Thanks!

I have both smoke and clear inserts. On my RF1000, there is a gap between the top of the insert and the top of the shield that I find more annoying with the smoke shield. My smoke shield arrived after the "cold" season in Phoenix, so my primary reason for getting it (my sunglasses fogging due to the head sock I wear) was moot. I'll see how well it does next winter.
You're getting a gap even when adjusting the pinlock's cams? I had a gap at the top of my X-11's shield when I first popped it in, but twisting each cam quickly got rid of any gaps.

You're getting a gap even when adjusting the pinlock's cams? I had a gap at the top of my X-11's shield when I first popped it in, but twisting each cam quickly got rid of any gaps.
By gap, I meant that the insert is much smaller than the shield, so there is a space above the insert where I can look through when I dip my head to block out the sun (my route to the office includes a turn to the east in the morning, so bring sun is an issue!). It's more annoying with the smoke shield sue to the transition, but it's also there with the clear shield.

Just a few points:

1. Pinlocks work great if you're in conditions that a normal shield would fog up in. I'd never bother to use mine once the weather warms up; I'm saving it for when it's needed. But I do carry the spare shield--the one with the Pinlock insert already mounted on it--in a saddle bag for a long trip where I might run into cold rain or something. Not much of an issue for great hunks of the year in my part of the world.

1.a. I would never be switching one insert for another on a single shield. I just have a dedicated shield for my one (or for each) Pinlock insert, so I'm not switching them back and forth. I think you'd be shortening the life of those delicate little cams and the insert too by doing that. You'd increase the risk of scratching or smudging the insert with excess handling. This MAY depend on what helmet you sport. My Shoei is very easy to switch faceshields on.
2. Best way to carry your spare I know of is to slip it inside a long heavy hunting-style sock and put it along an outside edge of a saddle bag. Takes up pretty much zero room.

3. Regarding that strip of faceshield between the insert and the top edge of the helmet (an issue when you tip your head to block the sun). Cheapest farkle ever: A strip of blue painters' tape across the top of the shield. I don't care what it looks like, it makes it SO MUCH more comfortable to ride toward a low sun. Cost is nada. The blue tape comes off and never leaves any residue and is super easy to replace when necessary. I've had a single piece last for many weeks--it's amazingly durable. If you try it, bet you'll love it. By the way, it doesn't really have a thing to do with the Pinlock. I keep it on all the time. It's just that you mentioned tipping your head against the sun.

4. Can't believe nobody mentioned this one yet: SEARCH for Pinlock information on the forum. It's been discussed over and over again.

+1 to everything Mike said. I have a designated visor for my Arai with a yellow Pinlock on it which I use for dark and foggy mornings, unfortunately we have a boatload of those up here in the Portland area. I carry a nicely tinted shield with me that I switch out at work for the ride home. I have my extra visor wrapped up in a microfiber towel within a padded envelope I keep in one of the saddle bags.

I wouldn't ride anywhere anymore without having the Pinlock as an option in the morning.

pinlock works great...now if they just made one for my glasses :blink:
Totally feel ya. Pinlock rocks but the glasses fog up like no other. I need to invest in a small tub of Cat Crap or Zooke for that problem. I only use the clear Pinlock shield and carry the dark smoke shield for my Shoei RF-1000 for the days I'm riding directly into the sun. That system's worked quite well for me.

pinlock works great...now if they just made one for my glasses :blink:
I wear glasses as well under my pinlock visor, and I don't have a problem anymore after trying out different older frames I had collected over the years. The clear winner was a pair with bigger lenses that is sitting a bit closer to my eyes than most other pairs I have. Voila, no more foggy glasses - I keep the visor shut closed all the way ever since on my foggy morning rides. I am sure it also depends on your specific helmet and how much/how little air is going through at any given moment, but I have the proof that it can potentially be done "fog-free" including glasses. I have a 3 year old Arai Quantum II BTW.

I love the pin-locks for their anti-fog capabilites. I'm with you on not caring to wear sunglasses with my helmet so I was wearing a Nolan N-102 for a long time which has a flip up smoked visor on the outside of the clear one. I wanted the extra protection of a one piece though and found these visor inserts. I now have a Shoe RF-1100 that I'm gonna stick one of these in. As far as anti-fog, they work the same as pin-locks, only no pin. They adhere to the interior of the visor. There are automatic and manual versions. The automatic is completely contained on the inside of the visor, the manual has a small wire that you route outside the visor to a controler so you can wrok the insert on the fly. I'm going with the automatic one. Sorry I only have the info on these from the website and Cougar8000 (he's on here). I've never used one...not yet anyhow. I'm planning on ordering one shortly. If you're interested in one of these p.m. me. I can get it for a better price than on-line at the moment. And no, I don't work for nor am I afiliated with e-tint, just seemed like the solution I was looking for.

https://www.e-tintproducts.com/ax9_visorinsert.html

I love the pin-locks for their anti-fog capabilites. I'm with you on not caring to wear sunglasses with my helmet so I was wearing a Nolan N-102 for a long time which has a flip up smoked visor on the outside of the clear one. I wanted the extra protection of a one piece though and found these visor inserts. I now have a Shoe RF-1100 that I'm gonna stick one of these in. As far as anti-fog, they work the same as pin-locks, only no pin. They adhere to the interior of the visor. There are automatic and manual versions. The automatic is completely contained on the inside of the visor, the manual has a small wire that you route outside the visor to a controler so you can wrok the insert on the fly. I'm going with the automatic one. Sorry I only have the info on these from the website and Cougar8000 (he's on here). I've never used one...not yet anyhow. I'm planning on ordering one shortly. If you're interested in one of these p.m. me. I can get it for a better price than on-line at the moment. And no, I don't work for nor am I afiliated with e-tint, just seemed like the solution I was looking for.

https://www.e-tintproducts.com/ax9_visorinsert.html

Oooh...that's pretty slick!