Pirelli Angel Mileage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XMXR

Reaction score
I know that there are many variables that influence tire wear, but what is the average mileage range people are getting out of their Pirelli Angels? (3K-5K, 8K-10K, etc)

Thanks

They are nice tires but don't last as long as PR2s for me. I got around 3,500 miles out them riding at a fun pace. The front also tends to go quite trapezoidal.

i had same experience as JamesK; excellent dry & wet grip, but very short life span with aggressive pace riding. 3k out of rear, 4500 out of front.

Same here. Love the grip, agressive pace, mostly NC/TN/VA twisties (or getting to/from them), ride double up most all of the time. 3-4k out of the front. On my third tire now. 40-41 PSI seems to wear best. I don't run the rear.

I, on average get around 4-4.5k out of a set of PR2s, sometimes if I've had a little too much fun, around 3,800 :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not run a set of PR2's yet. For some odd reason, I typically manage to get caught in some pretty crappy conditions (Cold, Rain, dirt, mud) which I've heard are not the PR2's stronger characterists - colder / damper that is - nothing labeled "street tire" is going to be "good" in the other two conditions. Were you find yourself in elevation, in the rain, foggy and cooler temps, there is enough data to process in getting away from those conditions as it is; whether or not the tires will hold or not under 45-50 degrees is not a data string I want to have factor in. Sure, slow down, less lean, less throttle all get exercised - but I know I don't have to worry about traction until the temp reads 32-33 and ice is forming.

That being said, If / when I head out on a coast to coast adventure, then the PR2 seems to be the way to go for mileage, and I'd probably run that tire set for that specific mission, along with adjusting my riding style to match.

I had a bad experience with a couple of the original pilot roads, and just have not been back. Personal preference in tire performance is to have a tire that will take everything the FJR has to give if needed. The trade off is longevity. The Angels fell way short in that quality, and more importantly, it went south is such a short amount of mileage that there was no "get me home" margin in them. From just touching wear bars to cords in less then 200 miles. Too short of a fuse. Now, if I'm going to go "play" for 2500 or less miles, game on.

Now, if you want to donate a set of PR2's, I'll promptly get them spooned on and begin the testing...

i had same experience as JamesK; excellent dry & wet grip, but very short life span with aggressive pace riding. 3k out of rear, 4500 out of front.

Just for comparison Wayne, what do you get out of a set of PR2s?

I have about 3k on mine and the rear is a little flat, but in good condtion. Front still has plenty of miles left. I do live in flat Delaware where PR's are probaby the best choice for me

I got 8K miles out of the Angels, with cord showing on the rear. That included a couple long trips plus some twisty riding in the NC mountains. I got 16K miles out of the PR2s. I definitely liked the feel of the Angels over the PR2s. I'm running a set of the Storm II Ultras now. Feel nice.

I got 8K miles out of the Angels, with cord showing on the rear. That included a couple long trips plus some twisty riding in the NC mountains. I got 16K miles out of the PR2s. I definitely liked the feel of the Angels over the PR2s. I'm running a set of the Storm II Ultras now. Feel nice.
Damnnnn, I couldn't get 16k out of a set of tires even if they were made of concrete :rolleyes:

I got about 6K out of a pair of Angels before the cord was showing, and the cord is not steel so it wears through very quickly. Left me stranded about 100 miles from home. :(

I next tried the 'B' spec rear (or is it 'E' spec or whatever) which others have gotten higher mileage out of. I have about 5500 on that rear now and it is getting thin. I doubt I'll get another k miles out of it.

I have a 6K trip planned for next month so a new set of PR2s will go on for that. They should last me the rest of the 2011 season and I'll try something else next spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just changed to a set of PR3's. Got 11k out of the Angels but I didn't like the feel of them. Scraped a little peg on the way home in the rain last night so I'd say I do like the feel of the PR3's. 40 psi front and back. Had PR2's before the A's and got close to 12k when I was good and 4-5K when I wasn't.

I just changed to a set of PR3's. Got 11k out of the Angels but I didn't like the feel of them. Scraped a little peg on the way home in the rain last night so I'd say I do like the feel of the PR3's. 40 psi front and back. Had PR2's before the A's and got close to 12k when I was good and 4-5K when I wasn't.
istockphoto_9359698-antique-animal-illustration-squid.jpg