Pirelli Diablo Strada "E" code

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afast03nNJ

Reaction score
Mods feel free to move this to it's final resting place.

I'm about to order some new sneakers and am curious about the Pirelli "E" code?

I'm never 2 up, don't take much load anywhere, but do like some speed now and then with the twisties.

Sooo, whats the deal? Do I really need the "E" code rear or can I save 13 bucks and throw a standard 180 back there?

Thank you so much for your permission. Why don't you place it in Parts and Accessories to begin with? :blink:

Rule of thumb...if it's not stock on the FJR...it doesn't belong in FJR Specific Discussion...and it likely belongs in Parts and Accessories.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I'm about to order some new sneakers and am curious about the Pirelli "E" code...can I save 13 bucks and throw a standard 180 back there?
No problem putting on a non "E" on. Expect it to last roughly 1/2 the miles you would have gotten out of the "E". I've been running Diablo E's for the last few changes and I'm happy with the tires. The E's can be tough to install because of the stiffer sidewalls.

I'm about to order some new sneakers and am curious about the Pirelli "E" code?I'm never 2 up, don't take much load anywhere, but do like some speed now and then with the twisties.

Sooo, whats the deal? Do I really need the "E" code rear or can I save 13 bucks and throw a standard 180 back there?
Of course, you can always put whatever you want on (even a car tire... :rolleyes: ) -- and, it's always nice to save a little money.

But, the FJR is a big, fast, powerful motorcycle -- on a scale from 1 to 10, it's alot closer to the 10 end than the 1 end (talking motorcycles, overall). Some tires may just not be up-to-the-task?

Still, you probably know best how you ride and what you intend to do -- if you really 'baby' everything?, maybe lesser "robust-ness" will work for you? :unsure:

So it seems that the "E" code tire is the better "Bang for the buck"...
It may (even) be more than that....! (see above)

Half the miles? What're you smoking?

The non-E has a deeper tread than the 'E' and the sidewalls are more flexible. To compensate for the sidewalls I inflated to 45 instead of the recomended 42 psi.

I'm running a non-E now because there was no stock in Canada - they work just fine, as evidenced by the metal from my peg feelers I left on Deal's Gap on Saturday.

3000 miles so far (I'm in Cincinatti tonight, aving run from Chatanooga, TN today) and just a slight flattening of the rear profile.

Half the miles? What're you smoking?
The non-E has a deeper tread than the 'E' and the sidewalls are more flexible. To compensate for the sidewalls I inflated to 45 instead of the recomended 42 psi.

...they work just fine, as evidenced by the metal from my peg feelers...

3000 miles so far...and just a slight flattening of the rear profile.
Well, guess I'm wrong, thanks for the correction.

Dunno what kind of shit Pirelli is pulling by recommending the 'E' for the FJR when it isn't necessary. Running (slightly) over maximum specified tire pressure must be the answer. Those money gouging Pirelli execs!

I've run a non 'E' and only got a bit over 5k miles from it. IIRC, I've read other non 'E' Stradas have had shorter lives. I have run three 'E' spec Stradas and got over 12k miles from two but ony 11k from the other Strada before succumbing to a large hole from a chunk of glass. The stock MEZ 4 on my '04 returned 5k miles; two MEZ 6 returned 6k miles each. My current Strada 'E' now has ~3k miles on it and looks new. I do most of my riding two up, and let me tell ya, the 'Beams make a full load :glare: and two-up we used to drag hard parts in the corners until Wilbers joined the team. The rear regularly sees extreme demands from the engine. Depending on load and mission, the Strada 'E' gets between 38 lbs and 42 lbs pressure.

It’s good to get out the differences in view points and sometimes the facts; ;) that provides the fodder from which we can make more informed decisions.

Both rear tires (E and non E) have the same load rating 73W. 365 kg.

Pirelli says the E spec compound is harder. That's all.

The E spec is not "more robust" it has a harder compound

for improved milage, if that makes it feel stiffer, so be it.

Word around the campfire (from people that have run both)

is that the E spec has allot less dry grip than the non E spec rear.

I just did 4000 miles to Utah and back on brand new Stradas

(non E spec rear) and they were awesome in the twistys and on the slab.

They still look new with no squaring.

I couldn't wait to get rid of the RoadSmarts I was riding on and sadly they were

an order of magnitude better than the Bridgestones the bike came with.

Once that harder raised center ridge appears on the Roadsmarts the bike handles

like a squirrel on crack.

YMMV

Just some semi-worthless info to further muddy the waters. Pirelli's site lists the E series as having 1mm less tread depth and weighing .8lbs less than the standard Strada. I have a new, unmounted set with a rear E and the durometer is 69~70 rear / 65~66 front. For comparison, the Michelin Pilot Powers on my SV measure 58~60 rear / 57~59 front and the well worn BT020 stockers on the deceased FJR measured 68~70 rear / 61~65 front (the softer readings occuring 1"+ from the centerline-almost like a dual compound). Disclaimer: the readings taken on the Strada's could be affected by the lower (-8 deg) ambient temp and the fact they are unmounted/unused. If my insurance co. ever gets their sh1t together and send me a check, I will have a recipient (another '05) for the afformentioned Pirelli's.

I apologize for the previous "more robust" comment -- I really don't know anything about Pirelli Strada m/c tires ('E' or otherwise), obviously.

I tend to believe that the tire company suffix codes are often applied to heavier/more powerful models -- but, it's only an 'intuition' on my part. Numbers and specifications (quantitative values), as supplied by 'Special K' and 'gearman', are the building-blocks of good decision making (especially, maybe?, for durability/longevity). Still, high mileage riders get to know alot about tires and their opinions are not to be taken lightly. Situations differ, though, between bikes, geographical areas, and (probably most of all..?) riders.

One thing I've learned to take with a grain of salt is info provided by tire manufacturer's "tech reps" (sales engineers) -- often, their primary goal is to sell more 'product' and give you the answer you're looking for. :(

I just took off a set of half used Stradas to put new PR2s on for a long road trip. I did not see an 'E' anywhere on the rear Strada, so I assume I have the non-E spec. They are great tires. The half used up ones felt as good, or better, than the brand new PR2s.

I'm about to order some new sneakers and am curious about the Pirelli "E" code?
Of course, you can always put whatever you want on (even a car tire... :rolleyes: ) -- and, it's always nice to save a little money.

But, the FJR is a big, fast, powerful motorcycle -- on a scale from 1 to 10, it's alot closer to the 10 end than the 1 end (talking motorcycles, overall). Some tires may just not be up-to-the-task?
To further (try to) explain, look at this chart:

3751843137_13587c0200_o.jpg

Other brands have similar charts -- and you can see that the tire that the FJR normally wears (BT-021, for 'Stones) just bearly does the job (some would say it doesn't...).

It's recco'd for motorcycles from about 600cc to about 1200cc -- you could say that the FJR1300 is 'off-the-chart'?

I'd like to see tires for the FJR starting with about 1000cc and good for up to, say, 2300cc -- then they might have a chance of doing the job....(holding-up and lasting under the pressure of hi-speed sport-touring)? :unsure:

I'm back from a 6,000 km road trip on non-E stradas. Aside from the nail I got in the sidewall that did NOT hole the tire, things went exceptionally well. The tiores still look good - a bit of flattening, but not much.

So, just for the heck of it I called the local Pirelli office - Canadian headquarters is about 3 miles from my home as the crow flies. Of course, the tech I finally reached said that all motorcycle applications are handled from the US and he gave me the US number to call.

I reached 'Bob' from 'consumer relations'. I think may have flunked out of law school because all I could get out of him was that "if there was an issue and you are not using the tires specified for your application the warranty would be null and void" to which I replied 'there's a warranty?'.

He said that the manufacturers specify what they want in a spec tire - the number of plies, the angle of the plies, the tread depth, the formulation and so on - and when I asked how Pirelli was able to get BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph AND Yamaha to all come up with the same specification for such a mixed bag of bikes he went cold.

I also asked what had changed that made the '06 require an 'E' spec tire and the '05 and prior years not . . . .

I then asked just WHAT the difference was since the load factors and speed ratings and rin specs were the same and he reveted to the 'use what is specified or we can't be held accountable'.

He also said that everything is proprietary, no details would be forthcoming and that we should expect between 4K and 7K miles from a set of tires.

It is now all clear as mud.

Thank you so much for your permission. Why don't you place it in Parts and Accessories to begin with? :blink:

Rule of thumb...if it's not stock on the FJR...it doesn't belong in FJR Specific Discussion...and it likely belongs in Parts and Accessories.
Iggie must be feelin' better! :cry: :****: :rofl: