Plastic or fiberglass polish

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLASH G

Reaction score
Hey everybody it's getting warm in the central states!! I was wondering if anyone could let me know of a good product to use for cleaning and polishing the fairing and other plastic or fiberglass ( don't know which) parts on the FJR. I bought some nufinish for the gas tank but I don't think that is good to use on the fairing.etc.

I appreciate your replys.

I'm a bit of a detailing product junkie and have tried countless brands - cheap and expensive alike. IMHO, Adam's Polishes makes some of the best stuff on the market. Two of their products in particular are personal favorites: the Brilliant Spray Glaze and the Detail Spray. Both products work very well on either painted metal or plastic. (BTW: you need not worry about what lies beneath the paint. Both the plastic and metal are painted with the same paint and the same clear coat.) The Brilliant Spray Glaze is more of a liquid wax that leaves a super deep shine, and also works wonders on any chrome such as mufflers. The detail spray is great for wiping your bike down after (or before) a ride and leaves a nice shine that brings out the metal flake. I keep a small spray bottle of Detail Spray in my tank bag for quick touch-ups and dusting. Note: the Detail Spray does an excellent job of removing bug and road tar residue from the bike (including the windshield).

Spend some time on the Adam's website and watch a few of the detailing videos to get a feel for how the various products are used. It's not the most expensive stuff out there, but it is more expensive than the stuff you can buy off the shelf at Wal-Mart. I've been extremely pleased with the Adam's products as well as their customer support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everybody it's getting warm in the central states!! I was wondering if anyone could let me know of a good product to use for cleaning and polishing the fairing and other plastic or fiberglass ( don't know which) parts on the FJR. I bought some nufinish for the gas tank but I don't think that is good to use on the fairing.etc. I appreciate your replys.
The best cleaner I have found is ShowTime washless motorcycle cleaner,(https://showtimecleaner.com/). It works great on plastic, chrome, windshields, helmets, seats, wheels, it the only thing I use on my bike. It is quick and easy, and keeps the bike looking show room new!

I'm a bit of a detailing product junkie and have tried countless brands - cheap and expensive alike. IMHO, Adam's Polishes makes some of the best stuff on the market. Two of their products in particular are personal favorites: the Brilliant Spray Glaze and the Detail Spray. Both products work very well on either painted metal or plastic. (BTW: you need not worry about what lies beneath the paint. Both the plastic and metal are painted with the same paint and the same clear coat.) The Brilliant Spray Glaze is more of a liquid wax that leaves a super deep shine, and also works wonders on any chrome such as mufflers. The detail spray is great for wiping your bike down after (or before) a ride and leaves a nice shine that brings out the metal flake. I keep a small spray bottle of Detail Spray in my tank bag for quick touch-ups and dusting. Note: the Detail Spray does an excellent job of removing bug and road tar residue from the bike (including the windshield).
Spend some time on the Adam's website and watch a few of the detailing videos to get a feel for how the various products are used. It's not the most expensive stuff out there, but it is more expensive than the stuff you can buy off the shelf at Wal-Mart. I've been extremely pleased with the Adam's products as well as their customer support.

Thanks for the info!!!

Hey everybody it's getting warm in the central states!! I was wondering if anyone could let me know of a good product to use for cleaning and polishing the fairing and other plastic or fiberglass ( don't know which) parts on the FJR. I bought some nufinish for the gas tank but I don't think that is good to use on the fairing.etc. I appreciate your replys.
The best cleaner I have found is ShowTime washless motorcycle cleaner,(https://showtimecleaner.com/). It works great on plastic, chrome, windshields, helmets, seats, wheels, it the only thing I use on my bike. It is quick and easy, and keeps the bike looking show room new!

Thanks for the info!!!

As a detail shop owner, I do agree with the comments on Adams products. They are nothing short of fantastic.

As far as an over the shelf product goes, you can't go wrong with Meguiars NXT liquid. The shine is superb and it smells nice too.

Use some Blue Magic metal polish an your brake levers, exhaust system and just about every other raw metal surface you can find, includig the back sides of foot rests ect.

Polishing little detail areas like that really keep the bike looking like new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing but Meguiar's here. I called tech support at Meguiar's and obtained a lot of useful infol

Here are my steps:

1 - Gold Class shampoo. The difference between the Gold Class and Meguiar's other shampoos is that the Gold Class pulls dirt away from the paint and keeps it off thru the wash process.

2 - Scratch X. This stuff really works on small scratches. The dealer scratched up the paint during assembly and Scratch X got 'em out. This works great in cleaning the paint without having to use clay. I dropped one of the fairings on the floor and Scratch X took out all the scratches except for the few big ones. Scratch X made the big goofs a lot harder to see.

3 - Show Car Glaze #7. This stuff is used by professionals who show cars. Awesome stuff.

4 - Nxt Generation Wax 2.0. This is easy to use and according to Meguiar's tech support this product offers more weather and UV protection than their other wax products. The 2.0 wax was released a few months ago and is suppossed to be an improvement from the original Nxt Gen Wax.

5 - Ultimate Quick Detailer. I use this to spiffin' up the shine without having to re-wax.

Nothing but Meguiar's here. I called tech support at Meguiar's and obtained a lot of useful infolHere are my steps:

1 - Gold Class shampoo. The difference between the Gold Class and Meguiar's other shampoos is that the Gold Class pulls dirt away from the paint and keeps it off thru the wash process.

2 - Scratch X. This stuff really works on small scratches. The dealer scratched up the paint during assembly and Scratch X got 'em out. This works great in cleaning the paint without having to use clay. I dropped one of the fairings on the floor and Scratch X took out all the scratches except for the few big ones. Scratch X made the big goofs a lot harder to see.

3 - Show Car Glaze #7. This stuff is used by professionals who show cars. Awesome stuff.

4 - Nxt Generation Wax 2.0. This is easy to use and according to Meguiar's tech support this product offers more weather and UV protection than their other wax products. The 2.0 wax was released a few months ago and is suppossed to be an improvement from the original Nxt Gen Wax.

5 - Ultimate Quick Detailer. I use this to spiffin' up the shine without having to re-wax.

Wow that's a lot of steps! When do you find time to ride?

Nothing but Meguiar's here. I called tech support at Meguiar's and obtained a lot of useful infolHere are my steps:

Wow that's a lot of steps! When do you find time to ride?
Wow, really...I just spray the whole bike down with Honda Cleaner and Polish and wipe it off with microfibre cloths. (I bought a whole case of the cleaner when the rumor about it being taken off the market surfaced, and I buy the cloths from Wal-mart...I got enough to clean the bike for the next 34 years)

KM

I use Simple Green on the bug guts and the latest of washing technology... water.

But the speed drying is the best part of the process.

If I wanted to polish then I would own a Harley.

+1 on Honda cleaner and it's new generic brand. Toss it in the side bag with a micro fiber and you have a portable washing system.

Meguiar's Quik wax & Quick Detailer. Works great and doesn't take alot of time. I also use their Plastic polish/cleaner on the windshield.

TurtleWax Bug & Tar remover when I get some nasty stuff stuck on, like tar and stones from a newly chipped and tarred road I happened upon last summer.

I live in an apartment, with one single car width driveway to around back where there is parking. There's no hose outlet there because former tenants and homeless folk were taking advantage of a "free" water supply. So there's no washing back there. Out front, if I'm lucky, there's sometimes room on the street. Can't park on the sidewalk because that's illegal here and not being a "minority" those sorts of laws are actually enforced on me. I had to make my washes quick since I couldn't get the time to do a detailed job. Did I mention that the street parking is right under trees that are dropping pollen/leaves/pitch the whole time? Plus birds and squirrels doing what nature calls for.

That made things challenging enough. Then, three weeks ago, some ***holio stole the hose! The crook even kept the hose in his front seat for a couple of days, since he obviously needed it more than anyone else. he of course denies this and just hid the hose in the back of his van. I'm not enthused about spending money just to provide him and his "company" with more stuff to take, and dragging a wet hose up and into my closet lacks appeal too.

I'm thinking about going to one of the coin-op places, and bringing my own stuff, using the coin op pressure hose just for rinsing. Gonna have to go at a time where no punks have to wait to clean their Escalades off. Love how "The Man" is "holdin' 'em down" with $60K customized behemoths.

City life SUX! :(

I live in an apartment, with one single car width driveway to around back where there is parking. There's no hose outlet there because former tenants and homeless folk were taking advantage of a "free" water supply. So there's no washing back there. Out front, if I'm lucky, there's sometimes room on the street. Can't park on the sidewalk because that's illegal here and not being a "minority" those sorts of laws are actually enforced on me. I had to make my washes quick since I couldn't get the time to do a detailed job. Did I mention that the street parking is right under trees that are dropping pollen/leaves/pitch the whole time? Plus birds and squirrels doing what nature calls for.
That made things challenging enough. Then, three weeks ago, some ***holio stole the hose! The crook even kept the hose in his front seat for a couple of days, since he obviously needed it more than anyone else. he of course denies this and just hid the hose in the back of his van. I'm not enthused about spending money just to provide him and his "company" with more stuff to take, and dragging a wet hose up and into my closet lacks appeal too.

I'm thinking about going to one of the coin-op places, and bringing my own stuff, using the coin op pressure hose just for rinsing. Gonna have to go at a time where no punks have to wait to clean their Escalades off. Love how "The Man" is "holdin' 'em down" with $60K customized behemoths.

City life SUX! :(

Wow. I have never used a hose to wash my bike in all the years I have owned one. The spay on cleaners and polishes have been all I have ever used.

KM

You're supposed to wash your bike?!?!?!

Hmmm, maybe I should try this washing thing. :D