Plastic Tank protection Film?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keg

Reaction score
I just picked up my '08 on Saturday and I am Now ready to Accessorize. I'm wondering if anyone is using th clear tank protection film like Premier cycle sells on their site? If so, how does it look, any installation problems, and other opinions would be appreciated. I would like to protect the finish on my black beauty as much as possible, but also don"t want it looking cheesy (no offense meant to my Wisconsin Neighbors)

Not sure what that cycle store is selling, but I had a local business install VentureShield film on my Triumph Sprint. They custom cut it for the sides of my tank and the body work below the pillion sides to protect the plastic from throwover panniers. This product is .0085 thick and guaranteed for life. Plus it can always be taken off. I'll be having it applied to by FJR soon. You have to look closely to see it and even then the only thing that's evident is some of the edges.

specs: https://www.venturetape.com/final/VShield%20Back.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up my '08 on Saturday and I am Now ready to Accessorize. I'm wondering if anyone is using th clear tank protection film like Premier cycle sells on their site? If so, how does it look, any installation problems, and other opinions would be appreciated. I would like to protect the finish on my black beauty as much as possible, but also don"t want it looking cheesy (no offense meant to my Wisconsin Neighbors)
I have the Premier stuff sitting in my garage, waiting to be put on. Don't think I'll do it, make me an offer and I'll ship it to ya. It's the Large kit, part #12510.

Don't worry about offending the 'sconnies; I'm an ex-'sotan, and I tell you, those folks thrive on abuse! First game of the 2008 NFL season is Vikes and Cheddarheads, straight from Lambeau! :yahoo:

+1 on The Tank Slapper. I installed the 3 tank pieces. You just need to take your time. I did have to work the center piece a bit and stretch it to get it just right and I also used a rubber squeegee as opposed to plastic as it seemed to work better on the curves. Other than that, I'm very pleased with how it looks on my bike and all it takes is a little Meguires Cleaner Wax to remove any scratches that do get on the material.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on The Tank Slapper. I installed the 3 tank pieces. You just need to take your time. I did have to work the center piece a bit and stretch it to get it just right and I also used a rubber squeegee as opposed to plastic as it seemed to work better on the curves. Other than that, I'm very pleased with how it looks on my bike and all it takes is a little Meguires Cleaner Wax to remove any scratches that do get on the material.
+1 on the tank slapper. The side pieces worked great. I never could get the center piece to fit right - just gave up on it and put a regular tank pad there. :ermm:

I have heard many a person complain about these clear film kits. My firsthand impression... I think that these kits rock! If applied correctly, they don't come off. I took off some of the pieces on my tank to wax under there about a year ago. The tank looked pristine. The only downside... the plastic pieces yellow after a couple of years & need to be replaced for those anal folks who give a damn about that sort of thing.

Heidi

Thanks everyone, I ordered the Tankslapper kit, it covers some other areas I'm also concerned about, like the area behind the front wheel. I'll have to try to find a good wax that specifically blocks th UV rays, that should prevent it from yellowing for a few years. By then I'm sure I won't be as anal about its appearance.

The only downside... the plastic pieces yellow after a couple of years & need to be replaced for those anal folks who give a damn about that sort of thing.
Heidi
Then it's a poor quality product. ClearBra / Venture Shield guaranteed for life not to yellow.

Not sure what that cycle store is selling, but I had a local business install VentureShield film on my Triumph Sprint. They custom cut it for the sides of my tank and the body work below the pillion sides to protect the plastic from throwover panniers. This product is .0085 thick and guaranteed for life. Plus it can always be taken off. I'll be having it applied to by FJR soon. You have to look closely to see it and even then the only thing that's evident is some of the edges.
specs: https://www.venturetape.com/final/VShield%20Back.pdf
What did they charge you for the VentureShield job?

I've got the Tank Slapper tank kit installed for about a month. It's doing the job, but it's not all that invisible, and I'm not sure how long it's going to stay in position. At this point, I'd have to give it a maximum of 6 out of 10...

Keg,

I just added the tank film kit that Premier cycle sells. I was very happy with the install except for screwing up the very first piece that I installed.

Just use plenty of spray and get an extra set of hands to help apply the pieces in the correct spot the first time.

What did they charge you for the VentureShield job?
I've got the Tank Slapper tank kit installed for about a month. It's doing the job, but it's not all that invisible, and I'm not sure how long it's going to stay in position. At this point, I'd have to give it a maximum of 6 out of 10...
$100 for the tank and the bodywork below the seat. Yeah, it was kind of spendy I'll admit. But my previous Triumph Sprint really showed some paint wear alongside the tank.

I went here: www.clearbraoregon.com. The owner is a fellow Triumph owner.

Can you see it?

https://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/eri...nt/IMG_1867.jpg

Thanks again. I did buy the Tankslapper kit, but if I have trouble with it I might look into Clearbra. I googled clearbra and they have a locater to find an installer in what ever area you happen to live in. There's one about 7 miles from my home.

+1 on the tankslapper. The side pieces worked great. I never could get the center piece to fit right - just gave up on it and put a regular tank pad there. :ermm:
+1 on the tankslapper 3 piece kit (about $20). I did it below the recommended minimum temperature and used a hair dryer some and had no problems with any of the 3 pieces; the center piece was the easiest. I am the worst at do-it-yourself so you should find it extra easy. I ended up with a couple of very slight air bubbles (or possibly bits of dust underneath). These slight air bubbles are only noticeable in bright sunlight. I am still very pleased since it looks like nothing is on the tank. The best thing to do is to watch the instructional video online at the tankslapper website.

The best thing about the tankslapper is the looks; the bike looks like it was designed and I like it that way. Although I have not had any problem, the tankslapper is rather thin, so I think if you really nail it with a sharp belt buckle, you could cut through it. However, just being reasonably careful, you should avoid any of the typical light scratches a buckle or zipper might do. I did switch to jackets with plastic zippers rather than metal to be sure.

I bought the 3M squeegee from California Sport Touring for $1 (they will gouge you on shipping if you do not buy anything else) and it worked far better than the car window squeegee I picked up at Pep Boys since it is designed for products like the tankslapper and 3M films.