Police/Fire FJR's HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilmedic13

Reaction score
Hey guys,need a little help here. I remember a few west coast guys mentioning some PD units had either FJR'S or ST1300'S for their force. We have some new blood on my dept that are VERY receptive to new ideas. I have had a chance to mention it to one of the more influential at a critique from our train accident downtown a few weeks ago and they were pretty enthusiastic about using them for our highway responses, especially due to construction out here. One of the feds there that asked if I was thinking about hd or "crotch rockets" and I mentioned the FJRs used in euro forces and he said that's what he was hoping i meant 'cuz he didn't think the HD 's are very good for some of the stuff we would be doing.

In other words......Which depts have FJR"s or ST1300'S? I need to get in contact w/ them to find out costs ,modifications,training, etc so I can write this up and present it to my chief for eval. I have some pics of the euro ambo's but I don't think pics alone will help me on this quest. I 'd really appreciate any help you guys can give in helping me get this dept into the 21st century! THANK YOU ALL :D

If this works I will be amazed but it 's worth a try! :construction:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,need a little help here. I remember a few west coast guys mentioning some PD units had either FJR'S or ST1300'S for their force. We have some new blood on my dept that are VERY receptive to new ideas. I have had a chance to mention it to one of the more influential at a critique from our train accident downtown a few weeks ago and they were pretty enthusiastic about using them for our highway responses, especially due to construction out here. One of the feds there that asked if I was thinking about hd or "crotch rockets" and I mentioned the FJRs used in euro forces and he said that's what he was hoping i meant 'cuz he didn't think the HD 's are very good for some of the stuff we would be doing.
In other words......Which depts have FJR"s or ST1300'S? I need to get in contact w/ them to find out costs ,modifications,training, etc so I can write this up and present it to my chief for eval. I have some pics of the euro ambo's but I don't think pics alone will help me on this quest. I 'd really appreciate any help you guys can give in helping me get this dept into the 21st century! THANK YOU ALL :D

If I remember correctly I saw a cop on a ST1300 in San Bernardino, CA when I was out there this spring.

King County Washington and Bellevue Washington are both using ST1300s for traffic control (radar) :angry2:

Here are a few Links (Netherlands Police)https://www.yamaha-motor.nl/politie/gallerij.jsp

Not sure where this is from (state or country)

https://www.fjr1300.info/photos/html/H0150.html

Good luck!
Damn That is Sweet!

gallery5_tcm42-72509.jpg

I talked with a couple of CHP guys from riverside county on BMW's, and they were retrofitting a test FJR with equipment. Also Santa Barbara and Orange Counties have ST1300's, but no interest in FJR's in the arsenal yet. But If I were you, I'd recommend maybe a Vespa for the department, who wants to be caught eluding an officer with an FJR?

I'm wondering if Corporate Yamaha would help and as some of our members have some contact there, maybe we could find out quick!

Check with your local Honda dealer, they have the police model listed in the dealer catalog here in Virginia so any dealer should be able to order it. Hopefully they can give you more info about the bikes specs other than the fact that it's white. ;)

In Daytona Beach, when we switched from Kaw Z1000 in mid 90"s. We "tested" BMW K bikes and Honda ST 1100s. All performed better than the winner(HD road kings), but looks and cost factors won out. HD is providing a sweet deal to have their bikes used here.

So both PD motors and FD motor medics are on road kings. Not bad bikes but limited due primarily to ground clearance and longer wheelbase. No more stair climbing, curb jumping or off road stuff.

I believe the lack of interest in FJR's is due to the fact that Yamaha does not offer a "Police" version of the bike. Honda, Kawasaki, and BMW all offer Police models designed specifically with a police department in mind.

BMW offers a buy back program to departments that puts money back in their pocket for replacement of a unit. From what I understand it's around $10,000 per bike at the end of it's service life...that sure works out some budget issues.

Mike

Our guys are currently on BMWs, but looking at a switch to the ST. I, too, would be curious to speak with anyone in the States who makes a switch to the FJR. Would be a no-brainer if you ask me, but if you suggest anything that makes sense in government, you're whisked away, never to be seen again... :assassin:

In Daytona Beach, when we switched from Kaw Z1000 in mid 90"s. We "tested" BMW K bikes and Honda ST 1100s. All performed better than the winner(HD road kings), but looks and cost factors won out. HD is providing a sweet deal to have their bikes used here. So both PD motors and FD motor medics are on road kings. Not bad bikes but limited due primarily to ground clearance and longer wheelbase. No more stair climbing, curb jumping or off road stuff.
You guys have Fire / Medics on motors down there? I wasn't aware that any agency had implemented that program in the U.S.

That's awesome.

Can you point me towards some links or information on that program?

Mike

Well, from a pure Hooligan's perspective.

I'd just rather be chased by this:

gallerylang2_tcm42-71736.jpg

It's simply delicious looking :yahoo:

Well, from a pure Hooligan's perspective.
I'd just rather be chased by this:

gallerylang2_tcm42-71736.jpg

It's simply delicious looking :yahoo:
Looks like some kid should be standing nearby with a joystick R/C control. In Mn, Harley gives cops a $1 per year lease deal, and to a bureaucrat, thats a deal that can't be beat, forget the fact it's the worst possible platform for all but parades and posturing. Here at the U, they had Factory noisemakers installed before the ink was dry on the contract. Yer tax dollars at pla...work. ;)

Colorado Springs PD is using ST1300's. Think it was local PD, not state. Saw two of them sitting at a restaurant in Salida, CO... way west of Co Springs. Sorry, no pics, it started pouring down rain before I could get snaps of them. They were rigged VERY neatly.

Here's a pic from the ST forum that shows the bikes. Perhaps they would have some good info for you.

65993280-M.jpg

ST-Owners Forum