Poor Man's Smuggler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm . . . a "saltwater rainbow trout" is also know as a "steelhead". It's one of the baddestass fish going. I'll pass on having them in my tailbag, thanks. A nice little rocky mountain cutthroat would suffice . . .

That looks like a great way to use the space.

I just ordered the CL-150 from this place

https://www.sandhillspowersports.com/sandhills/OnlineStore.do

It was about $62 brand new, and about $10 for shipping.

I didn't see anything mentioned about any mounting differences for Gen I / II.

Thanks for the tip, the smuggler is sure a whole lot of potatos. :blink:

Um, I BELIEVE that you can not use the bolt on mounting technique I posted a link to on a Gen I. I wont bet money on it, but I am pretty sure.

I would love to upgrade to a CL 150 for the trip out to NAFO, but the old CL 100 I have had on for 20K+ miles will have to suffice. I want to make sure I have enough money for gas, and even tires if I end up putting on more miles than I am planning on.

Per Paulie:

"I hadn't seen the link on bolting the bag on - seems like a good idea, although it is very secure with the bungees. It would just make it a bit more work to get set up for a date ride."

I wondered also....how about bolting it to a discarded pillion seat base? Are they hard to find?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm . . . a "saltwater rainbow trout" is also know as a "steelhead". It's one of the baddestass fish going. I'll pass on having them in my tailbag, thanks. A nice little rocky mountain cutthroat would suffice . . .
Which one is tastier?

Steam4 - not a bad idea but for me the biggest advantage of taking the seat out is that it lowers the profile a lot. If you had it on a seat base you might as well just strap it on the seat, in which case it will be a lot higher. Plus, I think the seat bases are white, which would be ugly, which would mean you would have to paint it. Sounds like MTTIW to me.

My CL-150 arrived yesterday. I spent some time figuring out how to bolt this thing to the bike. I think I have a solution, but I didn't have the parts/bolts/etc so it's not done. I did put it on the Garauld rack and I'm more happy with that I think... Not giving up on the smuggler idea tho...maybe tomorrow I'll have pictures.