Possibility Stereo for my Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. That Jensen looks sweet. Please post pics when it's up.
Squeezer here is the post i did back in August '08 when I installed my autocom & Jensen Radio:

I have wanted an Autocom for about 10 years now & I want you to know it was worth the wait & the price. It was a straight forward installation & actually set up easier than I thought it would. Even when I paired the optional bluetooth component with my Motorola Krzr, I only had to do it once!

Here is a pic of where I installed it:

AutocomPlacement2.jpg

Yes its mounted atop of my alarm & you can see the bluetooth doggle just below the brace for the rear carrier.

At the same time I also installed a Jensen weatherproof AM/FM & NOA Weather band Radio on a steering head stem mount:

JensenRadioAntennaMast.jpg

I decided to go with the Jensen JHD01- Radio because its compact, has a built in 15 watt amp, an aux in to connect an MP3 through it. I live in NYC & there is an abundance of great radio stations that I can listen to while commuting. On long distance rides the MP3 takes over, boosted by the 15 watt amp directly into my Autocom.

On one of my first rides with my new farkles I went to a store to get a few things on my Honey Do list & although the skies were grey the forecasted afternoon thunderstorms hadn't arrived yet. I no sooner come out of the store & power up the bike & the NOA Weather alert breaks in over the FM station I had tuned to give me a heads up on an incoming Thunder Cell. Ten minutes later I pull in the garage just as the rain drops started. So much for a ride after going to the store.

You may notice I installed the radio antenna in Panel C of the fairing.

So far I am extremely pleased with the way the Autocom functions. Last weekend while on a ride along the Delaware River with my buddies, I received a call from my wife & it was crystal clear. The Autocom beeps & mutes all music with the incoming call. Sweet!

I love the way it works.
I love the way that looks. I've tried the I pod, xm, sirius and I still prefer a radio. I know that fm has limitations, but I've lost satelite reception much more on the bike than I think I will with radio. My problem with the sirius now is amplification. I'm using a boostaroo and it's a lot of B.S.

Is that on a techmount? And what kinda mounting comes with the radio? Thanks Fred Jr.

I love the way that looks. I've tried the I pod, xm, sirius and I still prefer a radio. I know that fm has limitations, but I've lost satelite reception much more on the bike than I think I will with radio. My problem with the sirius now is amplification. I'm using a boostaroo and it's a lot of B.S.
Is that on a techmount? And what kinda mounting comes with the radio? Thanks Fred Jr.
Yes it's a techmount & I got it here: Radarbuster.com.

I thing the price has gone up so you may want to shop around.

Excuse to farkle...

iPod with blue tooth capable chatterboxes. Work wonders. Batterlife on the chatterboxes 6-8 hrs but you can get an adapter to plug into the bike.

Garmin Zumo 550 with mp3 card or XM radio. Bluetooth it in or as some I have seen with a cable to the zumo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to finishing the installation of the Jensen JHD-910 and while the hardened case gives it a bit of a dual-sport look, it works great. Reception is better than the car gets and it takes audio from whatever is velcroed to the front brake reservoir (Ipod/ XM Inno2/radar detector).
CockpitWithGPS.jpg

The mount is the aluminum bracket that I previously made for my Gerbing controller and GPS. The forward 2 tank bolts hold it and nobody is going to just pull it off. The downward oriented plug is the audio output that is routed to ear buds, but it could go to a mixer or intercom.

RtwGPS.jpg

The antenna is temporary until I find a suitable hiding spot for a shorter one.

Antenna.jpg

As for price at $199, it cost less than the Ipod I just got one of my kids. I almost always ride solo so don't need an intercom. I'm on the bike about 2 hours a day commuting and having a real radio is great, rather than fumbling with cheapos, replacing batteries or nightly recharges, and not being able to see the display. YMMV, but the price worked for me.

Bob
Hey Bob

That stereo looks like a really nice piece. I have a Zumo, but still want a FM stereo. I've been waiting for the right one, and this looks like it is.

Looks like another farkle. Thanks for the info. :clapping:

Art

No problem and yes that's mine with a more complete write-up on WebBikeWorld.com. I'm on travel for work this week but the next project is a "hidden" antenna that will go outboard of the glove box on the inner surface of the fairing.

Bob

Finally got some time to farkle around the garage last night. Got the space heater going around 9 pm and finished up around 1 am. Got one of these Jensen radios and a slick stealth antenna from tbwrench and finally got it installed. Mounted it up using a ram mount on the steering stem nut. Also wired in a barrier strip with a relay and wired up the FIAMM horns and pigtail for my heated gloves. Very nice radio. Much better than the AudioBoss I was using. Haven't ridden with it yet, but will commute with it tomorrow. Antenna fits nicely in the side panel and pulls in stations I couldn't get with the AudioBoss. Only hang up was a bad relay that I finally diagnosed.

fjrw-jensenradio001.jpg

fjrw-jensenradio003.jpg

Maybe I'm missing the point here. But you guys sure are going to a lot of trouble to get FM radio.

You can buy a SanDisk MP3 with integrated FM tuner for $40. I realize it's not glove-friendly or 12v powered. The 12v supply can be converted to USB 5v with a $10 adapter. So that get's you everything except glove-sized buttons for $50, and the entire thing fits inside your pocket or glove box.

:blink:

Maybe I'm missing the point here. But you guys sure are going to a lot of trouble to get FM radio.
You can buy a SanDisk MP3 with integrated FM tuner for $40. I realize it's not glove-friendly or 12v powered. The 12v supply can be converted to USB 5v with a $10 adapter. So that get's you everything except glove-sized buttons for $50, and the entire thing fits inside your pocket or glove box.

I have a SanDisk MP3 & used it before purchasing the Jensen Radio. The problem with it is the FM reception is quite poor & the MP3 needs to be played at top volume to be enjoyed.

I live in NYC where FM radio signal is very good, so I can't foresee it working better (reception wise) for someone in a more rural area. The Jensen with it's external antenna's reception is excellent & the MP3 gets plugged into it's AUX (15 watt amp boost) on long trips so I don't have to search for new stations while travelling & saving battery power on the MP3 with a lesser volume. Then all this gets muted for an incoming phone call from my cell through the Autocom or half volume if I'm talking through the intercom with my wife.

I'm very happy with this set up.

I had an FM tuner in the AudioBoss. Couldn't get decent reception and the tuner mechanism sucked. Commuting into DC everyday, you live and die by the traffic reports. It will be nice to have about 15 different presets (not that I'll use them all) available to punch back and forth between stations, as well as having the weather band alerts automatically chime in. I lived with a sub-par FM tuner for about 5 years now, I'm ready for a good quality unit. And its weather-proof, no worries about keeping it in my slowly deteriorating map pocket in my tankbag.

I can also plug in any MP3 player in the aux input quite easily. I considered your option, and it wasn't a good answer for what I need.

Jeff - I won't knock the little radios if they're doing what you want. Been there, done that. For me, I got tired of little radios that "sorta work" or lost reception at the edge of the suburbs, or needed batteries with every second or third tank of gas, had to be baggied in the rain or put away, etc. I had one cheapie that I dropped on I-81 while trying to fiddle with it. For a while I was running two 12v adapters for the gps and a radio and got tired of constantly re-seating the adapters on roads with lots of frost heaves and pot holes. I've also had somebody say "gee the radio looks big." He was right, the Jensen is a mini-brick, so it isn't for everyone.

But the Jensen just flat works at a fraction (20-25%) of the cost hit of the Zumo. I did a bunch of testing for the article & found that the family vehicle with best reception picked up 114 combined AM & FM stations in the DC/Balt metro area. Using that as a benchmark, if your SanDisk is on par with the little am/fm I have, it'll get barely half of what the car gets and the weak ones will tend to wander in & out. Get away from town and the better stations fade so you have to play with the little buttons while riding. This Jensen got 91% of the 114 and held them just as well as the car, even when I was riding in the hills. Plus with weather bands that will be great for avoiding the pop-up DC thunderstorms this summer. When the Jensen did fade in the deep hills of PA, I just plugged in the mp3 & rode on.

Bob

Ok, I've been reading this and other threads on other forums about radios and mp3s and phones and comms. Maybe it's just me but I'm thoroughly confused. First off, keep in mind I know absolutely nothing electronical beyond dialing a telephone. I was able to set up a wireless modem in my house so I could tote my laptop around, but it took 4 days, 3 phone calls to tech support and 2 more trips to the store to get it to work. I've just recently, after 2+ yrs of ownership, figured out how to use basic texting on a cell phone tho photos are still quite mysterious. You get the idea? Be gentle and very, very basic in your terminology.

So, my questions:

- I gave up on using an mp3 for 2 reasons:

1. I can't find anything that won't fall out of my ears after 10 minutes, and

2. the wire(s) are a complete PITA to deal with on a good day and impossible when bundled up, let alone trying to adjust volume with bulky gloves on.

How do you work around these? I see Goldwing guys with helmet mikes but how do they hear anything? Are there actually speakers mounted in their helmets? How is this done with no wires?

- The radio and comm set and phone and ipod and mp3 all connect together? WTF? How do you keep, say, the music and talking and phone from competing for the use of an eardrum? Again, how do you deal with wiring from the unit(s) to your ears? Don't you find it more than just a bit annoying to have wires flailing about when you're riding?

I realize it's prolly just me, and that I'm the only non-techno-fuktarded-nerd riding an FJR, but I'd really like to have weather/radio/mp3 capabilities but have no idea what to do to achieve it. Your patience and understanding would be greatly appreciated.

I use a home made tank bag radio setup that includes a passive mixer, volume booster/switch, GMRS radio interface, and Sirius head unit. All wired via a single BMW-style power plug. I use this on both bikes. Helmet headset by Motocomm which handles the patch in of the GMRS PTT and mic functions.

Starmate_1.JPG

This is a Cortech Super Mini Magnetic tank bag with a simple metal bookend laying in the bottom. I drilled a RAM mount through the end of the bag into the bookend and run power and headset cable through the bags exiting wire port. Everything says in/on the bag.

Here's an early shot with some of the guts inside showing the bookend:

Power_Wire_Sm.JPG

Here's what the RAM ball mount looks like from the outside:

Ram_Ball_Sm.JPG

I have a Cardo Scaler for bluetooth (one of my helmets) & a Motorola 830 bluetooth headset (other helmet) to my cell phone and Zumo 550, with the addition of these babies which sound good from my MP3, are paper thin wafer speakers, and only $35 - also use a Motorola 830 bluetooth headset; both the Cardo and Motorola work equally well for my needs

both my MP3's are plugged into a cig socket coming up to the bars and are constantly charged forever as I ride.

I currently like Philips GoGear 32 gb and 16gb

Phillips Go Gear micro Jukebox 8gb MP3 audio player hdd1835/37

Philips GoGear JukeBox 30GB MP3 Player HDD6330/17

I like the Sandisk 16 gb Fuze which has clicky round switch controls on the face; better than a touch screen or touch buttons (using touch screen/buttons with gloves can be difficult)

Sandisk Clip smaller size and memory is OK, too - has clicky controls

https://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_inf...roducts_id=4987

whitepress also has lots of good stuff for sale - Cardo, Ram, Powerlet, etc.

https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IMC%2DHS%2D200U

same with sierra electronics

consider an amp - IMC MAP20 rechargeable $65 - good for 6-8 hours and puts out 2 watts which will hurt your ears at full throttle

also Radio Shack sells a AA battery operated lesser watts unit for $30

I have both and use the MAP20 for day or short rides and the Radio Shack for touring which is good for a week and can pack spare batterys

Just my 1.5 cents

Hope this helps someone

Mike in Nawlins'

So, my questions:- I gave up on using an mp3 for 2 reasons:

1. I can't find anything that won't fall out of my ears after 10 minutes, and

2. the wire(s) are a complete PITA to deal with on a good day and impossible when bundled up, let alone trying to adjust volume with bulky gloves on.

How do you work around these? I see Goldwing guys with helmet mikes but how do they hear anything? Are there actually speakers mounted in their helmets? How is this done with no wires?

- The radio and comm set and phone and ipod and mp3 all connect together? WTF? How do you keep, say, the music and talking and phone from competing for the use of an eardrum? Again, how do you deal with wiring from the unit(s) to your ears? Don't you find it more than just a bit annoying to have wires flailing about when you're riding?
Here're reference sites: https://www.helmetaudio.com/

https://www.topgearaccess.com/autocom/reviews.php

and there are others.

A lot of it depends on what you want to get done. If you want to have cellphone and music with no wires going to the helmet, the answer's more complex and costly than just getting music through a wire.

If all you want is to be able to listen and are willing to live with the cord, it comes down to speakers or ear buds. Yes, you can hear with something better than the $15 specials, but there is some correlation between price and quality. What I've never been able to make work well are the basic ipod-style ear buds, because they don't actually go in the ear canal and keep falling out on me, which sounds like your experience. Personally, I like the SkullCandy ear buds with the silicone plugs, as they block out the road noise & fit me. They give other people ear-aches, so ymmv. There are guys here who ride with $300 ear buds. Alternatively, there are numerous threads about in-helmet speakers. The helmetaudio site has a lot of options or you can try Googling "site:fjrforum.com speakers helmet" for previous threads

I don't mind the wire from the ear buds, as long as it'll come out if I forget to unplug or have a fall. The wire for me goes under the neck velcro flap of my jacket, under the velcro covering the jacket zipper, then forward over the tank. Some earbuds and speakers don't have enough wire to do this. I know the hard way that in my case and with how I use them, if there's enough pull on the wire it'll pull the buds at my ears but the wire will break at the ear buds before I get hurt. There are also plug setups that put the connector at your helmet.

Your ipod or this Jensen radio are kind of Step #1, as they are just single devices to plug your earbuds or speakers into. The next step up is called a mixer and you typically wire it into the bike or in a tank bag. You plug the audio outputs of different devices into the mixer and the one output wire goes from it to your helmet. Most allow you to prioritize, so your radar detector going off (or whatever else you choose) will have priority over the music.

Past this the field diversifies and can be as simple or get as complex as you want to spend. There's info on the sites above, WebBikeWorld.com has articles to read, you can Google up others or the numerous previous threads for Chatterbox, Audiocom, etc.

Bob

Been following this thread for some time....limited (very limited) mechanical skills, coming off from riding a Goldwing for a few years and want to listen to music as I ride!!! I have the J&M Headset in my Arai Profile helmet. What would it take to get me up and running to listening to my tunes - radio or ipod?

Been following this thread for some time....limited (very limited) mechanical skills, coming off from riding a Goldwing for a few years and want to listen to music as I ride!!! I have the J&M Headset in my Arai Profile helmet. What would it take to get me up and running to listening to my tunes - radio or ipod?
Purchase a J&M CB JMCB2003 with or without the optional passenger intercom setup and plug the 3mm plug into your Ipod or MP3...you'LL have CB and music ta boot. I bought a J&M license plate bracket antenna and was good to go.

J&M JMCB2003 CB

I bought mine used off of ebay from a Harley owner who traded his in on a Goldwing; he removed his CB and sold it separate

Now if your J&M Headset is the 5 pin non amplified Goldwing type, it won't work with the J&M CB JMC2003 which is a 6 pin amplified system and needs the J&M headsets and lower cords just for it...

Hope this helps,

Mike in Nawlins'

Well, you guys convinced me to finally get off the fence, and I bought the Jensen today from a tractor dealer. They had one left without a manual so I got them to sell it for $175+ tax, which seemed fair to me. (Downloaded it later from the all knowing www.)

So far I have been modifying the included mounting bracket to hold the GPS with velcro right above the radio when mounted on the Techmount. I have a couple of SAE plugs laying around, so I think I'll use them so I can quick disconnect the whole mount, radio (which will be bolted on) and GPS (which will be velcro'd on) when I have to stay overnight in places where it is risky to leave such things. Don't want a good boy to go bad...

I need to figure out where to connect the fused power to a switched lead (headlight lead will be used for the Dual Stars) and then start experimenting with helmet speakers or in ear speakers. I prefer to keep it simple stupid, and I just want some music for the long rides.

As usual, this forum continues to throw out good information for me. Unfortunately, I am pissing away my kid's inheritance.

B)