Possibility Stereo for my Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm missing the point here. But you guys sure are going to a lot of trouble to get FM radio.
You can buy a SanDisk MP3 with integrated FM tuner for $40. I realize it's not glove-friendly or 12v powered. The 12v supply can be converted to USB 5v with a $10 adapter. So that get's you everything except glove-sized buttons for $50, and the entire thing fits inside your pocket or glove box.

:blink:
Jeff - I won't knock the little radios if they're doing what you want. Been there, done that. For me, I got tired of little radios that "sorta work" or lost reception at the edge of the suburbs, or needed batteries with every second or third tank of gas, had to be baggied in the rain or put away, etc. I had one cheapie that I dropped on I-81 while trying to fiddle with it. For a while I was running two 12v adapters for the gps and a radio and got tired of constantly re-seating the adapters on roads with lots of frost heaves and pot holes. I've also had somebody say "gee the radio looks big." He was right, the Jensen is a mini-brick, so it isn't for everyone.

But the Jensen just flat works at a fraction (20-25%) of the cost hit of the Zumo. I did a bunch of testing for the article & found that the family vehicle with best reception picked up 114 combined AM & FM stations in the DC/Balt metro area. Using that as a benchmark, if your SanDisk is on par with the little am/fm I have, it'll get barely half of what the car gets and the weak ones will tend to wander in & out. Get away from town and the better stations fade so you have to play with the little buttons while riding. This Jensen got 91% of the 114 and held them just as well as the car, even when I was riding in the hills. Plus with weather bands that will be great for avoiding the pop-up DC thunderstorms this summer. When the Jensen did fade in the deep hills of PA, I just plugged in the mp3 & rode on.

Bob
Bob,

What did you settle on for an antenna? I just got my Jensen today and the Techmount should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to get it set up!

Cameron

Whenever this topic comes up ......I hope to see someone doing something like this to their FJR:

bike-basszilla-2.jpg

Bob,

What did you settle on for an antenna? I just got my Jensen today and the Techmount should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to get it set up!

Cameron

Any of the three in the following article work, it's just a matter of how well. https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-radio/antenna/

I'm still running the whip in the photo but at some point want to try a home-made concealed copper foil antenna in the lid of the Givi 52 topcase.