Possible drawback to PR2's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not crazy about having a front tire that will last only half as long as the rear but, at the same time, I'm not up for taking off tires that still have useful life left in them. Assuming the front will stick and stop pretty much consistently through its tread life, I'll probably stick with the PR2 up front, but not let it wear as far as I do a rear before replacing.

I am not sure how much this test that Tirerack did on cars applies to motorcycles, but even slightly worn tires greatly increases your stopping distance when in a car.

I am sure that any like new tire will stop way better than any worn tire on a motorcycle.

Take a read. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=85

Gotta side with WC on this. I've got 9K on my PR2's and they both look like they could go another 3K...the back maybe 5K...just crazy good mileage I know....but this aint my ole 240 Volvo and although these tires felt grippy enough new, since about 5K the front wants to push in sweepers and cloverleafs are especially sphinchter reflex inducing exercises ! First tires I'll probably ever replace before the wear bars show too....I'm going back to the tires the man recommended to me (us) back in 03...Avons...( Azzarro, Storm, whatever) ...they just respond better to the road conditions I encounter most of the time and inspire me to ride more confidently....The PR2's ,while very efficient and long lived, just aint as fun...and thats partly why we ride , no? I am having fun doing massive burnouts to speed up the process :yahoo: !!!

Blessed is we,

Bobby

...I don't think that PR2s have a "harder" compound in the center of the tire (in comparison to the original PRs), the difference is that they have a much softer compound on the side of the tires...and the sides may be very similar to Pilot Powers.
Which is why I think a Pilot Power might be a great stopping tire, and might even wear out at the same time as the rear PR2.
but i've been running PR's since 03 and don't have a problem with stopping power. if the PR2 center compound is the same then, as in all traction situations, there's a lot more to it than just the tires.

i had some jackass stop dead in the middle of the road as i was approaching the fla check point of the 03 IBR. my PR's had about 7k miles on them, i was loaded down for an 11 day rally, i spent something like 6 days in extreme heat (topping 110 officially and guessed 125+ on the roads) running at a cruise speed of about 75 to 85 for more hours than stopped each day. when this ass stopped dead in his rusted out pickup, i laid on the brakes so hard they sounded like cicadas had swooped down on the bike as the brake pads grabbed the rotors (even though the ear monitors with mp3 player running on low); the ragged edge of traction was closer than in any structured training i've taken. i didn't lock up the tires and it's a good thing i didn't as you can imagine.

the tires were never an issue and i may have been able to finish the rally on them but already had a change staged at a shop near the check point.

but then everyone has their preferences. after giving avon 2 chances, i chose not to do that again. but dale knows he and i ride completely differently and that makes more of a difference than probably anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
but then everyone has their preferences. after giving avon 2 chances, i chose not to do that again. but dale knows he and i ride completely differently and that makes more of a difference than probably anything else.
I fall into the same category you, Bounce.

I ran PRs for 2 sets and changed to the PR2s when they came out. I ran the last set 10K on the rear and 15K on the front. Believe me, the triangular shape of the front made for "different" handling for the last 3K, or so, but I wanted to see how far the tires would last and knew not to push it in corners. Of course, I don't push my bike as hard as some other riders.

Powers are a pure sport tire, made for 'going', not 'stopping' :lol:
In motor sports, stopping requires just as much traction as going.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1

As for PR2s on the FJR i put a set on mine after 12,000Kms on the OEM Z6's that where shot, the right hand side had dissapeared after a fast cross Tasmania run fully loaded.

I love the PR2's I had em on the VFR and I know many FJr riders here in OZ that have ridden them into slicks with no dramas, and some are gun riders getting a PR2 to 'ball up' edge to edge is not what I would call cruising speed. Those with handling probs should maybe look to other mechanical problems and those running out of brakes look to how much safety space they are giving themselves.

One reason I thnk I trashed my Z6's was running into right handers hotter than lefts and loading up the front tyres , I must have been on the exit gas harder too to trash the same side of the rear tyre. I have since smoothed out my righthanders :rolleyes:

PR2's did I tell ya I luv em

As posted before, I wasted a set of PR2's going to Alaska. They were over 1/2 gone with 4300 miles in Anchorage, so I installed PR for the trip home down the Cassiar road construction. I thought the PR's handled better in the miles of gravel construction. The wear at 4300 on return seemed about the same. I don't know it I will purchase PR2's again??

As posted before, I wasted a set of PR2's going to Alaska. They were over 1/2 gone with 4300 miles in Anchorage, so I installed PR for the trip home down the Cassiar road construction. I thought the PR's handled better in the miles of gravel construction. The wear at 4300 on return seemed about the same. I don't know it I will purchase PR2's again??
As posted before, some of us are getting double the mileage from our PR2s. A standard PR would last me 5-6K. I got 10K from the PR2 rear and 15K from the front.

As with all brands, bikes and riders...YMMV.

Of course, I don't push my bike as hard as some other riders.
:ermm:

:huh:

:nea:

:fie:

:eh-smiley:

:eek:mg2:

:shok:

:swoon:

Who are you and what have you done to the real Mad Mike 2?
Uhm...this is "post-KLR incident". Once in awhile some of the "old" mm2 sneaks into the mix.

For those of you who don't like the PR2's, and have fresh ones in your garage -don't be shy about offering them up to RenoJohn who will likely jump on any descent deal to take those nasty tires off of your hands.

I love the PR2's, for me they are a huge step above anything else I've put on the FJR. I'm getting much better mileage (like over 5k!) and the handling is neutral (no pulling into corners or fighting out out of corners). They handle at both speeds (fast and really fast).

I can't confirm the madmike2 statement that chicks dig guys who run PR2's, but he's always been pretty honest and the chicks do swoon over him. Maybe his dual-compound rubber has something to do with it? Anyway, perhaps an extra bonus to an already awesome tire.

I installed the PR on my '05 last week and I really like this tire.

I just could not see paying the price for the PR2's

I just completed a 700 mile trip with no problems. I had the OEM Bridgestone

tires and in my opion these are the worst tires I have ever had on a motorcycle.

I got only 5,000 miles out of the front tire.

I'm going to Cycle Gear next week to have the rear PR installed.

Okay, I'll chip in. I have had PR2 tires on my '06 for about a year, and I love them. They handle great and they wear like

iron. I attended SFO where we rode in torrential downpours most of the time, and all of us where amazed at the grip we had

on the wet, slippery roads. By the way, there were five bikes, and we were all riding PR2's. I can not attest to Warchild's

complaint about shaky handling after 5000+ miles, because I have not reached that threshold yet. My next set of tires will

most certainly be PR2's.

Gary Green

...I don't think that PR2s have a "harder" compound in the center of the tire (in comparison to the original PRs), the difference is that they have a much softer compound on the side of the tires...and the sides may be very similar to Pilot Powers.
Which is why I think a Pilot Power might be a great stopping tire, and might even wear out at the same time as the rear PR2.
but i've been running PR's since 03 and don't have a problem with stopping power. if the PR2 center compound is the same then, as in all traction situations, there's a lot more to it than just the tires.

The center of the PR2 is harder than the PR, that is how you are getting higher mileage.

I am with Warchild on this one. I went back to a Pilot Road. My bike never felt right with the tires on it. The harder compound for higher mileage is too high a trade off for me.

Brian

my 2 cents:

I think the biggest differences that affect tire performance and longevity are how you set up the bike, how you ride, and where you ride. I love the PR2's, but I tend to enter the corner at a speed that I can accelerate all the way through and out of it. I tend to go for the tight twisties (10-30 mph) maked corners and usually go through them at double the recommendation + some.

On the way to WFO8, we left with PR2's that had 2500 miles on them from CFR. All of which was 2up and many miles of high speeds and tight twisties and sweepers. On the 2500 miles that we did going to WFO8 we pulled a trailer that wieghed in at 450 pounds loaded. I ran a lot of roads that were heavily chip sealed with teh big aggregate (cheese grater foir tires). We ran hard enough through the twisties that I had to back down the pace because the brakes were fading badly. The tires perfromed great, even with a whole days ride in the 100+ degree heat. They probably have 800-1000 miles at triple digits including lots of sweepers at those speeds with the only slippage caused by tar snakes.

This set is worn out with 5000 miles on them. They are worn out on the sides, with center still looking fine. I feel I got my money's worth out of them and have been very happy. They are the best street rain tire I have ever used on any bike. (with the execption of a full Michelin rain race tire)

I have the opposite opinion of Avons that goes back to my road racing days. For me Avons are a piece of shit. I could never find one that I was willing to go into turn one at SIR at 165+ (Wide Open) in a slick or DOT, where I would on a Dunlop slick (medium compound), Michelin (soft or medium Slick and Rain) and Bridgestone slick (in the softest compound they made). I never found one I could use on the street that would give me the kind or feel and feedback that I want to have.

I never buy a tire based on price. I have always wondered why someone will go cheap on a tire that doesn't provide the traction, feedback or control to save a few bucks and risk tossing a $12000 bike down the raod. Doesn't make sense. I buy the tire that works for me and the way I ride.

I tend to go for the tight twisties (10-30 mph) marked corners and usually go through them at double the recommendation + some.
I hope that practice works out for you long-term, 'cause on the surface, it sounds like a recipe for disaster....

I tend to go for the tight twisties (10-30 mph) marked corners and usually go through them at double the recommendation + some.
I hope that practice works out for you long-term, 'cause on the surface, it sounds like a recipe for disaster....

Yep. But my bike is set up for it, with proper suspension settings, etc.

This may not be that much of an issue at present since I could not locate a front PR2. SWMOTO said that no FJR size fronts are available and they could not give give me a date. I ended up ordering a Strada front and PR2 Roadsmart rear. Hope that combo works.

opps my bad :blink: ...edited PR2 to Roadsmart--edited 10:55 pm

No idea how I missed this one for so long.

I recall rating the PR2s, at best, as a 90% tire. Meaning they will do 90% of what the FJR will do.

I seriously doubt that 10% shorter stopping distance would prevent many crashes. But it would undoubtedly prevent SOME.

When PR2s are fresh, the weather is warm, and the road surface is smooth, they may dare to reach the 99% mark. When they have been heat cycled many times (as some in this thread have noted) the harder compounds begin to show more. Combine well-aged PR2s with tar snakes and cold temps, and you have a 80% tire IMO. It's at that point where I begin to be very concerned about the tradeoff between extra tread life and performance.

The benefits and shortcomings of one tire versus another, is a personal choice. Personally, like others here, I commonly burn into corners at 2-3 times yellow sign speeds. My stupidity needs to be outweighed by as much equipment performance as possible. 105% tires are just fine for me.

Run the Powers TC. Run something stickier (especially up front). Just try hard not to use that last 10% ever!!!

:)

When they have been heat cycled many times (as some in this thread have noted) the harder compounds begin to show more. Combine well-aged PR2s with tar snakes and cold temps, and you have a 80% tire IMO. It's at that point where I begin to be very concerned about the tradeoff between extra tread life and performance.
Outstanding analysis! :thumbsup:

Jeff seems to be on track with this except for one small deviation. The center does seem to be getting harder with more wear and heat cycling, but the shoulders seem to be getting better with wear and heat cycling.

Under hard braking on asphault, the ABS seems to be doing a lot more work and I am using more brake pressure to stop in the same given distance. I am using a turn lane I use every day as a yard stick since it is a fixed distance and I travel the same speed at the same time of day every day. The tire also seems to be developing a wider than normal flat spot. The Road Smarts the PR2's replace had a very narrow and very defined flat area. The PR2's have an area at least twice as wide.

Now the shoulders of these tires are a different story. With wear and heat cycles they have become much more grippy but have remained normally round like a new tire. I had written earlier that I had no conficence during a group ride with these tires. Now with 5K on them I am much more confident with them in the twisties. 15-25+ over the posted "safe speed limit" on any given turn is very easy with no feel of movement and very good tracking.

These are definitely a commuter tire. I have 5K on them and I will probably get another 5K out of them, maybe more out of the rear. People with these tires need to do their own skid pad testing at different points in the tires life cycle so they know what they are in for. Stopping distance has definitely increased enough that you need to adjust your riding distance to compensate.

(This is personal observation on a 2007A on California roads with temperatures from 58-75 degrees, unknown humidity levels, with one empty saddle bag, the other carring a motorcycle cover and an empty Givi E52 and a 300lb rider.)