Possible drawback to PR2's?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently added my first set of PR2's. So far I think they are great. I removed the OEM tires (Metzlers) with probably aboput 1000-1500 more miles on them at least. The geometry of the front tire was really funky and made goiing into turns with any speed feel very interesting. I will have to wait for a while to give my input on the handling through the tread life on the PR2's. Right now I feel invincible on them.

I've spent more hours than it's worth reading about PR2's. People's opinions vary so wildly that it doesn't sound like they are talking about the same tire. Some stores have been out of front PR2's for a couple of months now. My guess is Michelin is trying different ways to construct the tire to make the results more consistent. Again, this is a guess but it adds up.

I have about a thousand miles on my new rear PR2 and have found it to be just as good as anything I ever had before.

However, yesterday while riding home on hot pavement with the temp at about 100F I had to stop and check the rear tire. The cold pressure was at 42psi but it felt like the tire was trying to stick to the roadway like it had thousands of tiny suction cups on it. I could feel it like a power drain, or slight rear brake, when gliding with the clutch disengaged. I've never felt this before, has anyone else felt this on the PR2. Not that this would be a bad thing, hotter tires are supposed to grip better but ....

I'm running my last Dunlop D220 on the front and they seem to work well together.

New brake rotors and stock pads have cured my brake problems, and the bike stops very well with none of the previous shake drama.

I had forgotten about this thread.

My PR2's are getting up there in miles; I forgot to record mileage when they were installed.

I guesstimate about 6500 miles. Getting close to bars in the rear.

I am going to have to agree with WarChild, I have lost all confidence in these tires.

I noticed that when riding my favorite roads, things were starting to get getting pretty hairy; I have checked my suspension settings twice, air pressure several times.

My rear end has started slipping, even under moderate cornering speeds, and I have been having trouble holding a good line. It's been hot here in the Great North Wet, and that seems to make things worse.

About 85 today and the tar snakes on a favorite curve in town (Stuart Parkway near the "Y", Shiny) just about made me ruin my seat.

I even pulled over and checked for a flat tire.

I had absolutely no problems with these tires on the CFR trip. Excellent cornering and wet grip.

I am now deciding what tire to get next, probably Avons.

After reading every thread here it makes me want to learn more about the Storms.