Possible new owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
All,

Seriously contemplating going "all the way" and purchasing an '06 FJR. I noticed that the '06 model doesn't have the side cowling puck. Is that correct or is the 'puck' an option? The local dealer (Renton Motorcycles) has the bike on the floor. Any questions that I should ask?

By the way, I never knew the FJR existed. I was walking through the parking lot and shazzammm! It sure caught my eye.

My actual purchase will be the FJR or an '04 Yamaha V-Star.

Great site, by the way.

Stephen

I think you're talking about frame sliders (puck), and those aren't standard on any year model... they're aftermarket. The FJR and Vstar are TOTALLY different beasts... just depends on what type of riding you're looking to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Groo.

My riding style will most likely be cruising the backroads. My brain is telling me to buy the Star. My heart is yelling "FJR"!!! :(

One of my concerns on the FJR is the seat height. I'm 5'9-ish and my feet don't quite lay flat on the ground. I've owned an H-D skirtster and a fully dressed H-D Electri-Glide.

Plus the price of the V-Star is 1/2 that of the FJR.

Stephen

I'm 5'9" ish myself... and haven't had much difficulty maneuvering the FJR... even at stoplights and parking lots. Don't let that put you off.

The FJR is an awesome bike for cruising backroads, but do you want to put along at the speed limit, or eat the road up while slicing through the corners?

Another good question... do you usually wear all the gear, or are you a spiked helmet and leather vest type? Are the people you think you'll be riding with a "ride to eat group", or a "ride to the next state" group?

Whatever choice you make, do it because the bike fits the style and type of riding you WANT to do, don't let a particular bike make that decision for you, because it will be the wrong one...

I'm 5'9" ish myself... and haven't had much difficulty maneuvering the FJR... even at stoplights and parking lots. Don't let that put you off.
The FJR is an awesome bike for cruising backroads, but do you want to put along at the speed limit, or eat the road up while slicing through the corners?

Another good question... do you usually wear all the gear, or are you a spiked helmet and leather vest type? Are the people you think you'll be riding with a "ride to eat group", or a "ride to the next state" group?

Whatever choice you make, do it because the bike fits the style and type of riding you WANT to do, don't let a particular bike make that decision for you, because it will be the wrong one...

+1

I had the 05 Vstar 1100 classic, nice bike, heavy, sits nice and low to the ground. I am also 5' 9", with a 29" inseam, and the VStar is a great bike, ok power, so I added at KJS system to boost the HP to 90. Will beat you up after 200 miles, and has the typical heat from the engine that may bother you when idle in traffic. However...the FJR is a different beast! For me personally, the FJR is a sports touring bike that looks good just being parked. This is a "Heavy" sports bike in my opinion, with power that will outclass your skills, and give you a new respect for speed and quickness. Would I turn back to cruising, not after you ride the FJR. I still tell myself watching these muscle HD bike shows, "my bike is still faster than your bike".

Stephen, I'm 5'7 in boots and I handle the FJR fine with the stock seat. It's a bit tall, but with a custom seat you'll be fine. I'm highly considering the Corbin seat that drops the height to 29". Yes, more $$$, but for this bike it is worth it.

The height/weight was something I was worried about, but after one full week of riding, it's not a big deal. Just think and be careful AND BUY SLIDERS! Those are the puck thingies. $30 for some low end ones. Cheaper than what fairing repair costs, I'm sure.

Groo's points are right on. Decide how you want to ride and if the FJR is you type of bike. Cruisers aren't my style, so the FJR made sense for me for a more long range bike.

And regarding price, shop for financing if you need it. I spent a couple hours looking for credit unions I could fit in and got a great rate/deal. Yammy will be about 10.9% for their "best" rate.

Those MC are a lot different. So get the style for you. The Sliders on the 06 are easy to put on. You pull one engine bolt on each side and re-torque the longer bolts. You can get a little more hight by having shoes with double soles. Just make sure they are traction soles not leather. TJ

Thank you, all. You've been a big help. Really!!!!

I just got back from Renton Motorcycles and they sold the 2006 FJR. :angry:

However, they just got in a 2004 FJR on trade with 17,000 miles on it. I said I'd take it. Now, help me again please. Anything I need to know about the '04 model? I noticed that there is no ABS. :(

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm almost there! :D

Nah.. not that bad... :rolleyes:

Just that the '04s are the slower silvery color... :lol:

There was a thread about a week ago asking the same questions, do a search and you'll probably find it. We listed out all the differences between the model years. Some slight styling differences between '03-'05... and as you noted, ABS was not standard then. Plus, it's hard to know what mods the previous owner might have done (SS brake lines, upgraded shock, aftermarket seat, heat mods, etc.) without seeing the bike.

Just don't forget to ask about the detuned French engine... you wanna make sure you don't get one of those.

Just don't forget to ask about the detuned French engine... you wanna make sure you don't get one of those.

Egads! You know how to worry a guy!

How does one tell that or is this a newbie test? ;)

deepseafishing.jpg

If you have not put the money down on the 04, and can afford the extra $$, I would just have the Dealer do a search for an 06 and have it shipped to your Dealer. I have done this twice on other bikes and as long as your Dealer can work it out, you could possibly end up with the better bike IMO.

The FJR handles great on the backroads too. I just rode mine 4200 miles on backroads and it was a blast. My only complaint it that the stock seat is only good up to 3 hours for me. I'm an all day rider so I want a better seat soon. BTW - I am only 5'8" and the bike is super easy to handle.

Hope you get what you need, and you found a great site with real riders and great wrenches.

Bad Groo! Bad! Stop tormenting the newbie!

Personally, I like the '04 color best.

Sliders and a radiator guard are good protection. Hand guards and foot guards are good if you'll be riding in inclement weather. Maybe a front fender extender or a tail trunk.

There are a lot of aftermarket replacements available if you don't like the stockers: seat, windshield, handlebar risers, springs/shocks, exhaust, etc. Ride it around awhile and see if there's anything you're not comfortable with.

Thumper,

I did have my heart set on the '06, however the price was about $15K out the door. The '04 is about $9500 out the door.

Big difference.

Plus I'm really only a fair weather rider. I'll let you young whipper snappers take on the hail, snow and other nasties. :p

Thank you, all. You've been a big help. Really!!!!
I just got back from Renton Motorcycles and they sold the 2006 FJR. :angry:

However, they just got in a 2004 FJR on trade with 17,000 miles on it. I said I'd take it. Now, help me again please. Anything I need to know about the '04 model? I noticed that there is no ABS. :(

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm almost there! :D
Not so fast. Since he's got an 04 on trade, you should have access to the perfect vehicle to make your choice. Bargain for a test ride on the FJR. See what you think. If you find out, as many have, that the FJR really appeals to you, have the dealer find you an 06 on the dealer network somewhere and buy that.