Post Up, Biatches!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just putting the finishing touching on a 1996 Kawasaki GPZ1100 (non-abs). Bike had fallen over on both sides at different times, no structural damage. Just got done w/ a respray of the plastic, new decals, new Micron system,tires, brakes, tune, custom Corbin seat and a set of the rare o.e.m. hard bags and mounts. It's almost ready to go to the fames Ivan's for the jetting and I'll have a sportbike.

My Moto Guzzi LeMans.

Not the sportiest bike out there, but it's got clip-on's... so why not

1535491daytrip003.jpg

Ooooooo......Ahhhhhhhh..... VERY nice!!
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

[SIZE=8pt]er.... except for the gay Schwinn bicycle reflectors, which oughta go..... :D [/SIZE]

Hey... is that a legit motocycle tailpack? What model is that? I could definitely use one of those for the R-1...

The gay reflectors are gone, now WC. :lol: (and right now, just about everything else that makes it street legal)

The tailpack is perfect for that bike, if you're not doing your sickass IronButtin'. :D

Seriously, it's from RKA, perfect size for just a couple of things, and will expand quite a bit for a change of clothes or two. As with other RKA stuff, great quality but costs just a bit more. I'd say it's worth it.

Link: RKA 7.5 Tail Bag Sumpm-R-Other

Enjoy... oh, the PCIII, Graves exhaust and velocity stacks make a difference I wouldn't have believed. :blink:

:)

Enjoy... oh, the PCIII, Graves exhaust and velocity stacks make a difference I wouldn't have believed.
I was afraid of this..... the Velocity Stacks are doable, maybe even the PC-IIIusb after a few more paydays, but... the Graves exhaust is outta reach for now...

ASSuming you did NOT installed them the same time as the PC-III, please tell me what the Velocity Stacks did for you. (If you installed all the goodies at once, it'd be hard to say which of the three contributed the most to the improvement, no?)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not an R1 but it's enough sportbike for the way I ride on the street

2003-suzuki-s6-f-zoom.jpg

Funny how all my bike pics have me and my FJR (no SVS pics--got to change that).

boardsNbikes

Very nice WC! I am currently torn between the new BMW K1200R ( a little to RoboCop looking as my buddy FJRZON says ) or the Speed Triple. While not sport bikes per se', I like the naked bike theme and smiplicity. I think either will be a good little brother for the FJR.

I have seen the new Beemer and it is one sweet bike, sounds good too. It's the price difference and maintenance $$ that have me leaning towards the Triumph. Anyone who has heard a 3 cylinder Triumph knows they are sweet. Plus for the price difference I can get that Honda CRF 450X I am lusting after!

If I was adding an all-out sport bike, I think it would be a 999 ( I know , high maintenance again ) or an R1. Also need a 1200GS too! B)

I have an FZ1. I thought it was a sportbike but when I showed up for a "sportbike" ride in Wenatchee this spring several there were quick to point out that my FZ1 wasn't a sportbike but was a "standard". What the hell?

It's got the previous R! engine, goes like hell, & is a sportbike to me.

I'tt try to post a picture!

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\bikes%205.jpg

Not the best picture, but this is my baby. My 2002 CBR954. This is what I did my first endurance rally on, and I somehow decided even after that to do a BBG on it. Obviously there is something wrong with me when I ride a sportbike like a LD bike. I now of course have a much better suited bike for this kind of riding, but my 954 will always be my baby. :wub:

954.jpg

I have an FZ1. I thought it was a sportbike but when I showed up for a "sportbike" ride in Wenatchee this spring several there were quick to point out that my FZ1 wasn't a sportbike but was a "standard". What the hell?
It's got the previous R! engine, goes like hell, & is a sportbike to me.

I'tt try to post a picture!

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\bikes%205.jpg
There's nothing non-sport about an FZ1! It's a great bike. Considered it before finding the FJR. Just needed something a little more comfortable. I have the R1 for getting my YA YA's! lol I've seen guys at trackdays with them ride circles around guys with true sportbikes! It's all in the rider!

I bought a Naked SV 650 2002 in Oct 2004 brand new for less than invoice. 28 years of riding and a hiatis, it was the cheapest thing I could find as a tool to re-aquire my riding skills. Sport Touring was my intention and led me to the FJR. My body has 'issues' with 'real' sport bikes. :blink: So that 'Standard' is as close as I could come. TJ

(If you installed all the goodies at once, it'd be hard to say which of the three contributed  the most to the improvement, no?)
Yes, you're right... sorry, couldn't tell ya. I only had time to stick it on all at once.

I was pretty happy with everything about it before I put the mods on, I could feel the dip at 7000, but if I was riding in anger, I didn't mind a touch more gentleness at roll-on, it still changed the rotation of the earth in plenty short order. :lol:

I only did the PCIII because the sucker runs so hot and lean in stock form, that I was afraid of having it run even leaner with the aftermarket exhaust. And the stacks just filled out the mail order. (www.tobefast.com was excellent)

The throttle response is so stinking sweet now, like a rheostat hooked to a fonkin' volcano.

From all of the reading I've done, seems to me the stacks don't do a lot on their own... but the install is childsplay. The aftermarket exhaust and jetting are where I'd guess the bigger effects are. (pure speculation) And without the heavy stockers and cat converter, a lot lighter.

One last R1 note for you, I STILL can't seem to change the oil in that thing without having a smoke-fest on the collector. I tried a little tape-duct last time, and then still got it on the collector, spent a lot of time wiping... and STILL had a smoke trail for a minute as some burned off. :dribble:

Again, enjoy her, bro.

One last R1 note for you, I STILL can't seem to change the oil in that thing without having a smoke-fest on the collector. I tried a little tape-duct last time, and then still got it on the collector, spent a lot of time wiping... and STILL had a smoke trail for a minute as some burned off. :dribble:

Again, enjoy her, bro.
If you just wipe the collector area out with a paper towel or something absorbant and then spray it down with some brake cleaner, all is well then, no smoke.

WC- btw removal of the cat lowers the heat factor on the R1 without any adverse affects. One of the first mod's I did. I also added a PC. Smooths it out some.
Got a link somewhere on removing the R-1 cat?

I've seen the Akrapovic slip-ons (tobefast.com) that have the optional 'Y' joint adaper which eliminates the cat.... I can only ASSume that the 'Y' pipe can only be used with the Akrapovic slip-on's, but don't know that for a fact....

@ LiquidSilver: have you tried the old standard trick of wrapping aluminum foil around the pipes prior to oil filter removal?

"If you just wipe the collector area out with a paper towel or something absorbant and then spray it down with some brake cleaner, all is well then, no smoke. "

I'll try that next time. I could've sworn I had it bone clean and dry after the change, but... :blink:

"have you tried the old standard trick of wrapping aluminum foil around the pipes prior to oil filter removal?"

Nope, but that'll be one to try next time, too.

There's a link somewhere on the squiddly R1-forum.com on breaking out the cat, but I'd question the flow characteristics of the empty chamber.

The Graves slip-ons come with the Y-pipe standard, at about the same price as the Akros, IIRC, without the Y-pipe. (Which I think costs another 200 bucks.)

I didn't notice any heat difference without the cat. She's much hotter than my FJR, that's for sure. And I'm 97% sure that's all radiator wash, because if I stand up, I can feel the hot pool of air escape.

:)

After removal of the cat, the only thing I noticed was the tone was a little bit deeper and a tad louder. Hardly noticable really! Not hard to do. Just remove the Y pipe and get a big screwdriver and break it out till it's all gone and as smooth as you can get it. Like I said, I noticed no adverse affects anywhere in the RPM range. Living in Fla. I can tell you that it does cool it down some. Won't remove all of the heat, but helps!

I still don’t have a picture of the bike, but I have a 2005 R1 the same color as WC, RTSR1/FJR and LiquidSilver. The only difference in the bikes is mine has a better looking seat attachment. :D