Post your Russel seat pics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a picture that might help. You have to use your imagination for the rear seat.

FJR001.JPG

I like that seat but would like to sit on one....ride it before I buy. I know Russel in not that close to Maryland so no chance of that happening.

Does the seat prevent you from moving around on in the saddle?

I like that seat but would like to sit on one....ride it before I buy. I know Russel in not that close to Maryland so no chance of that happening. Does the seat prevent you from moving around on in the saddle?

If you like to ride the twisties on the agressive side the wings on the seat can be a bit of an indurance when you try to hang offthe bike.

Custom riders seat pillion just recovered to match. This is my second Russell and this time I did a ride in but the first was strictly a mail in and it was great.

P1010017.jpg

I've wondered why some (like mine) have the extra bit on the riders area (not the back rest but the extra piece between the rider and passenger area)

YMHA_FJR1300_seat.JPG

while other don't

Ymha_FJR_bike.jpg

Did a 684 mile round trip over last week end and I know I'm lucky

to have this seat come with my '05. Comfort is the word.

895972764_mU6yc-L.jpg

895973255_wcAtP-L.jpg

:yahoo:

If you decide on a Russell, you better make up your mind. I ordered mine over 6 weeks ago and my production date is not until June 21st. I expect to have mine back by the 1st week in July.

I've wondered why some (like mine) have the extra bit on the riders area (not the back rest but the extra piece between the rider and passenger area)
YMHA_FJR1300_seat.JPG

while other don't

Ymha_FJR_bike.jpg
I would guess that the lower ones (bottom pic in your example) are simply recovered stock seats, while the upper picture is a "Russell-ized" seat.

Just to add my $.02

my pix look like other posters'. fwiw I just finished completing my 'map' the past couple of weeks with CA OR & WA. 9000 miles in 13 days. Averaged just over 700/day with a couple of long ones (>800) - you know its the right seat when you not worrying about your ass at the end of the day.

If you want to take a ride to CT you are welcome to take my bike for a test run.

I have heard some say to get vinyl instead of leather for “easy care”. Any opinions on this? Wouldn’t the vinyl be hotter?

My daylong arrives today!!! It took a while to get my build date but when i sent it in it was only 11 days to build it. I have a 800 mile ride next week...i can't wait

Im also interested in finding a used (cheap) passenger seat for a 06-10 fjr. I want to experiment and make a "snap on" lugguge piece with the seat pan. Once I get it made I will post the pics and how to make one.

I have heard some say to get vinyl instead of leather for “easy care”. Any opinions on this? Wouldn’t the vinyl be hotter?
My $0.02

If you ride ATTGATT, like I do, then you won't know the difference between leather and vinyl.

I certainly couldn't tell the diff when I had the Corbin on my bike.

Having the right stitching setup will do more to allow for airflow - basket weave and diamond patterns will allow for more pockets where air can flow.

In other words... I'd get vinyl but have it stitched accordingly.

Again my $0.02 and YMMV

YMHA_FJR1300_seat.JPG

while other don't

Ymha_FJR_bike.jpg
One of those looks like a gen1 and the other like a gen2, could that be it?

I don't know, maybe it is just whether the riders seat is being done or now, or if you are getting it with the backrest or not (or with capability to add backrest?)

Here's my take on it:

There are considerable differences between the Gen and Gen2 seats. The Gen 1 seats are more traditionally attractive in both stock and custom form. Since the OP is riding a 2nd gen we should not tease him with pictures of our attractive 1st gen seats.

The extra "block" between the rider and passenger seat seems like it might be a filler when the rider is of shorter stature and they need to move the seat pocket forward. I could be wrong.

The best looking and most comfortable Russell seats are the ones made with the "Half Moon" stitching pattern. The rectangle pattern reminds me of a la-z-boy. And the Warchild quilty pattern... well lets just say that had better be functional. ;)

Leather is much more comfortable, even when ATGATT. It's not just that it breathes, which it does to a certain extent. It's also that the leather stretches and conforms to your derriere over time. Vinyl will stretch during use and then retract back to its original shape. It (vinyl) also has a tendency to pull your skin through your riding gear when its trying to retract with you on it.

OK, I can't resist. I have to show off my 1st gen seat. Too bad you can't get one like it on your 2nd gen. :p

2446704700098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

Note: Although I am 215-220 lbs (dependent on how many enchiladas I ate the night before) I am 6'2" and do not have a humongous butt. Those with a lot more "junk in their trunk" will require a wider (and somewhat uglier) custom seat.