Potential Fjr Owner And Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUX

Reaction score
Looking for as objective opinion as someone can provide for the FJR. It's hard to pick on a bike you own, but I'd like the good AND the bad.

I'm selling my 1yr old CBR 954RR and looking at the BMW 1200GS or the FJR 1300. I have a VTX 1800 which is very comfortable for two-up long hauls and cruising. Most of the riding on this bike will be solo and on twisty back roads, but feel free to offer opinions on passenger comfort.

I am considering the FJR b/c I am looking for a bike with a more relaxed riding position that is still sporty/connected to the road. My foolish days of pushing a sport-bike hard on the street are behind me and I prefer now to just ride quick and smooth.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, but I do have a few specific questions:

1) It seems I've missed the pre-order period for '05. Does anyone know what changes/colors will be available in '06?

2) The local dealer claims that the $500 deposit is just to get the bike. He says that the bike is still MSRP when it gets to the showroom. The $500 is not applied. That sounded absurd to me, and I've walked out on this guy's prices for my last 4 bikes, but is it true?

3) I am not looking to go "off-roading" on the FJR like I would on the GS, but would you feel like you were abusing the FJR if you took it on hard-packed gravel or dirt roads?

4) I've found a few bikes with extremely low miles (under 1,000) on the net. I've read about some of the problems (ticking, etc..) and am afraid of picking up a bike that someone is dumping for issues. Would you recommend picking up a used FJR? I can wait for a new one, but love the silver or blue colors.

Cheers!

Mike

The good: Very comfortable bike considiering other bikes in the speed range. Not as comfortable as say, the ST1300, but still very comfortable. Very powerful engine, lots of torque everywhere. Bags easy on/off to change up the bike as needed quickly, and it looks good in either configuration.

The bad: Heat. The scare of developing valve tick, and the handlebars. My hands (like many others) start to go numb after about an hour/hour and half. By most accounts a throttle lock or cruise control will fix this problem.

The FJR is by no means a full on sportbike. It accelerates fast, but it can't brake like a sportbike. That being said, unless you're riding full out balls to the walls, the FJR is a very capable bike.

1. Haven't heard about '06 yet. Common gossip suggests it will be a standard release model, rather than the PDP stuff.

2. I thought the $500 deposit was applied to the bike price, but I bought my bike used so I'm not 100% sure.

3. I ride a gravel driveway and a gravel parking lot at work almost every day. The only real concern I'd have would be ground clearance

4. Many people are not happy with the FJR as a full on sportbike, or as a full on tourer. These are the most common reasons I'd would assume low milage FJR's are being re-sold. Most tickers don't develop untill 4k-10k as I understand, so I doubt that's the issue. Even if it is a ticker, you can buy the YES extended warranty and you should be covered should the tick develop.

Hey Mike,

The Fjr is a remarkable bike. I'm not saying that because I own one. I owned a Zzr1200 a few months ago and I didn't give it such a rave review. Anyway, the reports you've probably read on-lone are accurate...the Fjr is the best all around bike out there. It will get up and haul ass... not as fast as your 954 but should run around 10.6 to 11 in the 1/4 mile.

It will handle just fine. It does have some limits on lean angles.. but you said you want to be quick and smooth.. in a way it forces you to take a smoother line, rather than bulleying like an R1 or 954.

It is extremely comfortable on the highway or backroads.. with the cruise control added it is even more so. Wind protection is top notch (my opinion).

as far your questions:

1. I don't know what colors/changes there will be for 06. I have heard a "rumor" that the 06's will not be Pdp but rather normal showroom ordering.

2. Bullshit. My $500 went directly into the cost of my bike. It's only lost if you choose not to buy the bike..my suggestion.. find another dealer!

3. Hard packed gravel or dirt roads? Sure. I would watch for large potholes and avoid mud though :) and I would slow the speed some.

4. If you find one less than a year old you *shoul* be able to purchase the "yes" extended warranty to cover any ticking that may occur. There have also been some that said Yamaha reparied their tickers even whhile it was out of warranty.

Here is a comparison that I made between the Fjr and the Zzr:

https://www.zzr1200.net/modules.php?name=Fo...ewtopic&t=11689

Hope this helps,

James

Awesome responses, thanks guys.

As far as the dealer goes, he has a monopoly here near the Air Force Base and is usually THOUSANDS more than everywhere else. That's why he's lost 4 sales in the last 3 years from me.

Since I have a bike already, maybe waiting for the '06 is the way to go. :) The more I look at this bike, the more I REALLY want one.

Does it have an accessory outlet, or can you/do you have to wire one in? Can it handle heated grips + a vest?

Thanks again!

You have to wire one, and it should handle vest and grips. However, the alternator is one of the weaker points of the fjr... But warchild has come up with a custom stator to up the wattage considerably.

James

I've owned a Kawasaki J-1000, BMW K100RS and Yamaha FJ1200 before buying my FJR.

This is easily the best bike I've ever had. Low speed or high speed, it's perfect for me.

It's heavy. It's not a sports bike, but you can have fun on it. I think it handles better when there's some weight on it, and it sure gets the power down better. Two-up, fully-load in the twisties, passing tour coaches and articulated lorries. No problem.

It's an easy bike to short-shift. Because of that, you sometimes forget how powerful the damn thing is. You can get caught out real easy - you're soon going much quicker than you think. It's got good brakes, but a lot of weight to haul down.

However, all that weight disappears as soon as the bike gets to a walking pace. Beautiful balance. Easy to turn in traffic, but it has a long wheel base, so it's not as nimble as your typical courier's bike.

Just my opinion.

I think you'll love it.

There is a certain stretch of road in these parts that has approximately 200 curves in a 14 mile run. I say approximately because when I stopped my count at 80, I was only one forth of the way down. The road is just wide enough that if two cars come up on each other going in opposite directions, one car has to pull over so the other can get past.

Needless to say, the road is a blast on the R1. However, the FJR more than holds it is own on this road. You don’t have to change gears much and you never see fourth gear, but it is a lot of fun spending the entire 14 miles leaned to one side or the other.

Am I faster on the R1? Of course, but the ride to the road and back is a lot more enjoyable on the FJR.

I would talk ot your dealer, playing it cool, and ask again about the $500 deposit. If it is made clear that it is not a credit towards your purchase leave and never go back 'cuz he is a thieving prick. There are bikes out there, new and used. Last I looked, three dealers here had at least one (new) each. I bought new in '03 and recently a used '04 at a real fair price. So they're out there. Good luck.

DUX,

Double check on the deposit.

Its supposed to go towards your purchase price.

If this dealer is trying to do ANYTHING but add it towards payment for your bike, walk.

That being said, beware that the dealer in question may try to 'Throw-in' the Yamaha Y.E.S. plan. The plan is available only thriugh Yamaha dealers.

Its an extended warrentee for Yamahas by Yamaha.

Dont fall for this.

There are dealers who also allow a discount for this program,and its available weather you purchased your bike from them, or not.

You didnt say where you live. But, check and ask about the dealer. Does he have a good rep?

Are his/her tech's trained to work on your new investment? Can the dealer be trusted? Does the dealer stock fast moving consumable parts I.E. Drain crush washers, I know of a dealer in the Reno,Nv area, that still doesnt have any.

(just reuse the origional) yea, right.

How far away is the next dealer? Check them ALL out.

I know of two Id recommed, in my neighberhood. Can you take a bus ride, if nessasery?

Dux,

If you are somewhere near central Florida, there is a new 05 sitting on the showroom floor at Yamaha of Orlando.

How about $12K out the door. I know some have done better, but for me, that was just fine.

Oh, the bike is everything that you've heard about it. It's a great machine.

Bananas!

) The local dealer claims that the $500 deposit is just to get the bike. He says that the bike is still MSRP when it gets to the showroom. The $500 is not applied. That sounded absurd to me, and I've walked out on this guy's prices for my last 4 bikes, but is it true?

this dealer is full of shit and i can smell it from here, the $500 comes off the price that you negotiate with your stealer, in any case i would not deal with this dealer.

cole

As everyone else has said, the $500 deposit that doesn't credit is bogus. Of course, from the dealer's POV he's just raising the price $500 over MSRP and they're free to ask any price they like. But this is a devious and underhanded way to disguise a markup. I'd bet there are suprise freight and prep charges later too.

The PDP program isn't even underway right now, so this "deposit" would be strictly between you and the dealer anyway. Since it really doesn't get you anything, I'd just wait until the PDP period opens or Yamaha goes to open ordering which is widely rumored.

05's are widely available in many showrooms, so if you want one, you won't have much trouble finding it if you can travel a bit.

On the FJR vs. R1200GS question, both are great, but very different, bikes. They'll both tour Okay, but in very different ways - the FJR is a big, heavy, comfy, road-burner of a bike, while the GS is a much more nimble, much lighter, less comfortable bike that you can take on all sorts of road surfaces, including moderate dirt and gravel roads. I'm unclear why you'd compare the two since the new RT is available which is directly comparable to the FJR. I think you need to decide if you are looking for a swiss-army-knife bike like the GS, or you want a big road-burner for the big miles, high-speeds, and wide open pavement. The FJR is nimble only in comparison to a Wing.

If I only had a single bike, it would be the GS - it really can do everything. But with the luxury of having several bikes, the FJR is top-notch in the heavy sport-touring class and a great choice.

You can worry about the ticking or you can carry on. It's a concern, but I wouldn't make it stop me from buying a bike. That odds are with you and Yamaha is fixing those that buck those odds.

- Mark

The dealer was Diamond Motorsports in Dover, DE. I am stationed here, and it drives me nuts that this place sells out of everything at rediculous prices and extra charges b/c the poor kids stationed here don't shop around.

I figured he was full of it about the $500. I'm actually pissed off now. It's the same guy that started at 1,000 over MSRP for my VTX and offered a "special deal" of MSRP + freight, setup, etc... They also wanted to charge some fee (I can't remember exactly, but it was over $500) that gave you two washes, a check-up, and some other crap. However, if you had a problem with the bike, it didn't include diagnostics. :rolleyes:

When it comes time, I will do as I always do and give him a chance to make the deal but will probably be shaking my head as I walk out the door. Between my dad, father-in-law, and myself, we have purchased 4 Honda's in 2 1/2 years from other dealers. "Have trailer, will travel." I've spent $40 in gas to save $2,000 on a bike. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's worth it. :D

When the CBR sells, I'll post again. I'm not opposed to buying a plane ticket and riding the bike back if the price is right and the dealership is professional.

Thanks again!

BTW.....

Calling the FJR a little heavy is all relative. My VTX weighs close to 900lbs even before I get on it. I think I'd win a collision with a Yugo. :D

Found an ABS model near me for $11,520 near me + $35 for tags.

Seems like a good deal to me? Now if I had just sold the CBR last month when I had a buyer. :(

Hey DUX, there are still reports of new '05's sitting on the floors of certain dealers. Some dealers apparently ordered extra bikes in advance, so their customers would not have to wait. I bought my '05 new and didn't wait, in fact I made the dealer wait for his money until an April day came that was warm enough for me to ride the thing home. Fancy that!

Having said that, my opinion of the bike is that it has excellent power and handling for the class of bike it's in. Consider this bike a platform on which to build - you'll need to accessorize to make it fit your needs. Good news is these forums provide a HUGE wealth of data to fall back on when doing so. Make sure to buy and install a radiator gaurd if you go into gravel, or you'll have the green stuff all over the ground. Get YES 4 year add-on warranty and your ticking worries should be over. I got non-ABS '05 for MSRP and the dealer threw in the 4 year YES on their dime.

go to https://www.cycletrader.com/adsearch/cyclesearchprocess.html there are 81 ads for the fjr today...seems that not everyone in the usa is dying to own one...if it were me, i'd get the one fjr on page 3 [in TN] for $8 k or less and pocket the $4k saved over new..ride it for yourself and decide if it is your cup of tea...if not , easy to recoup your money...new bikes depreciate 20% the moment you roll them out the sales floor.

well, it seems the cut and paste for that particular page does not work...must start new search each time..just put in 'yamaha' and then 'fjr1300'..that is all that is needed, hit search, should get 81 ads today

You can buy a bike with more power.

You can buy a bike with more torque.

You can buy a bike that's lighter.

You can buy a bike that's faster.

You can buy a bike that handles better.

You can buy a bike that is more comfortable touring.

You can buy a bike that has more potential farkles.

But I'm not aware of any bike that is near the top in EACH of those categories, as the FJR is.

My $.02 worth.