Potential Fjr Owner And Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode the VTX 100 miles to a BMW open house today.

I have to say, it's a good thing I got to test ride the BMW's. I am not impressed with the Boxer engine AT ALL.

I rode the 1200GS and the 1200RT. I love the idea of the GS and it's multi-role capability, but I would not be happy with it as a street bike.

The RT was a nice machine, but again, the boxer engine left me cold. It could be that I'm used to an 1800cc V-twin and a high-power inline four, but the motor just felt like old technology.

I also got to test-ride the 1200 S, BMW's new sport-bike. That was a VERY nice bike. :) It had ABS, heated grips, single-sided swing arm, shaft-drive, an electronic push-button on the bars for three different suspension settings, and it looked awesome! While it's more comfortable than my CBR 954, it's still rather agressive and would definitely need risers for my purposes. The bags are optional, and the biggest drawback is the price: around $18,000 :blink:

I've been trying to get a ride on an FJR everywhere, but can't find one. I was thinking about the 1200 S all the way home and just happened to spot an FJR in a parking lot. I stopped to have a look, and it just seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

All I need now is to find the CBR a new home. Anyone looking for an '03 954 in showroom condition? :D

You can buy a bike with more power.You can buy a bike with more torque.

You can buy a bike that's lighter.

You can buy a bike that's faster.

You can buy a bike that handles better.

You can buy a bike that is more comfortable touring.

You can buy a bike that has more potential farkles.

But I'm not aware of any bike that is near the top in EACH of those categories, as the FJR is. 

My $.02 worth.
RickL...right on the nose.... :rolleyes:

One other note, after riding the fjr with the wife, she dosen't want to ride anything else. For her, the only other bike more comfortable than the FJR is a wing, and there is no way you'll catch me driving one of those for a while.

Alex

Now that I figured out that I should be replying and not reporting... Sorry about that esteemed moderator, I have a question regarding 'clickers' mentioned earlier in this thread.

I understand that the problem is that an FJR may become a clicker and that Yamaha will repair it under warranty and maybe even if the bike is not under warranty. What exactly causes the clicking and what is repaired/replaced to fix it?

Thanks,

Greg

They are only replacing SOME heads. As I understand they wanted a few of the ticking heads back for R&D. The parts that NEED to be changed are valves and guides. (I think this is correct, someone else chime in here)

slapnpop, I agree. The first "fixes" were complete heads, now it looks like they are just giving the dealer valves and guides.

They are also fixing bikes that are not under current YES warranty, but you need to be the origional owner of the bike. I'm sure others can elaborate further.

Some heads have also had guides coming loose in the head. These have been, as I understand, tickers of long standing, and were some, not all, of the long term bangers.

I was thinking about the 1200 S all the way home and just happened to spot an FJR in a parking lot.
IT'S A SIGN!!! Go get one and demo it on the way home. Find an '04 (ABS), you can spend more time riding and less time polishing (unless that's what you're into). Blue is pretty, but only when it's clean, IMHO.

Thanks to those who responded to my question about clickers. Hope I don't end up with one when my bike finally comes. I'm thinkin' that they should have figured out why it was happening by now and have it resolved at the factory, but I'm an optimist....

Greg

I was thinking about the 1200 S all the way home and just happened to spot an FJR in a parking lot.
IT'S A SIGN!!! Go get one and demo it on the way home. Find an '04 (ABS), you can spend more time riding and less time polishing (unless that's what you're into). Blue is pretty, but only when it's clean, IMHO.
TC has been jealous for a long time. See how long ago he was bashing the Galaxy Blues?