Power comander 5

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I spend this $1400 to $2000 What will my FJR gain?
The respect of other board members who are still trying to justify their similar expenditures. :rofl:
amen,brother
It seems from all the dyno test I've read the slip ons are worth about 3-4 horses regardless of who's they are

With a stock motor all this Power Commander and slip on muffler stuff is just bull shit as it only nets about 3-5 hp with the stock air box and you can have all the maps in the world and that's all you will get except more noise.
In the October '09 issue of Sport Rider magazine, they test the FMF Apex (slip-on) exhaust on a ZX-10R Ninja ($550). Un-restricted (loud/noisey) it gave + 2.3 HP and + .9 Lb/Ft: with the quiet cone installed, it gave - (minus) .5 HP and - (minus) .8 Lb/Ft (compared with the ZX-10R's stock system).

They did say it was lighter than stock and smoothed-out some transitions... :huh:
What kind of pin head would shell out $550.00 bucks for minus half a horse and more noise.......only one with half a brain!

I'm beginning to think that the current crop of Japanese bikes have highly efficient exhaust systems and are diffulcult to improve upon other than lighter with more noise.

I've been told by the people at Edelbrock Equiptment Company who builds and sells some sophisticated cat equipped street and race mufflers for cars that a properly sized honey comb type cat like that used on the FJR shows little if any pressure drop when installed in the exhaust system and I believe that is why the complete systems by Muzzy, Walker and others fetch such a small percentage increase over stock. If the FJR had bigger cams a good 4 into 1 system would probably fetch 8%-10% like similiar systems did on the old FJ-1200 but with our combination it doesn't appear that changing the mufflers are going to get us anywhere power wise.

The stock mufflers are too quite, hopefully I can find something with just a little more bark with a similiar look and if they fetch 2-3 hp more that would be even better however my days of listening to a screaming inline 4 with a Kerker/SuperTrapp header with a 2.5 inch core muffler has past.

Does anyone know what the diameter of the throttle bodies are on the FJR because short of taking mine apart I can't find that information anywhere!

(...)With a stock motor all this Power Commander and slip on muffler stuff is just bull shit as it only nets about 3-5 hp with the stock air box and you can have all the maps in the world and that's all you will get except more noise.
Perhaps you are missing the reason why many of us chose the PC-III for our FJR. It had nothing to do with power gain, and everything to do with smoothing the power curve and throttle response.

If I spend this $1400 to $2000 What will my FJR gain?
The respect of other board members who are still trying to justify their similar expenditures. :rofl:
amen,brother
It seems from all the dyno test I've read the slip ons are worth about 3-4 horses regardless of who's they are

With a stock motor all this Power Commander and slip on muffler stuff is just bull shit as it only nets about 3-5 hp with the stock air box and you can have all the maps in the world and that's all you will get except more noise.
In the October '09 issue of Sport Rider magazine, they test the FMF Apex (slip-on) exhaust on a ZX-10R Ninja ($550). Un-restricted (loud/noisey) it gave + 2.3 HP and + .9 Lb/Ft: with the quiet cone installed, it gave - (minus) .5 HP and - (minus) .8 Lb/Ft (compared with the ZX-10R's stock system).

They did say it was lighter than stock and smoothed-out some transitions... :huh:
Perhaps I was reading a different article, but I thought that although the peak power and torque were down slightly, gains were made elsewhere in the power range that they thought gave the bike a smoother curve with more usable power?

In the October '09 issue of Sport Rider magazine, they test the FMF Apex (slip-on) exhaust on a ZX-10R Ninja ($550). Un-restricted (loud/noisey) it gave + 2.3 HP and + .9 Lb/Ft: with the quiet cone installed, it gave - (minus) .5 HP and - (minus) .8 Lb/Ft (compared with the ZX-10R's stock system). They did say it was lighter than stock and smoothed-out some transitions... :huh:
Perhaps I was reading a different article, but I thought that although the peak power and torque were down slightly, gains were made elsewhere in the power range that they thought gave the bike a smoother curve with more usable power?
It was probably the same article? :unsure:

Yes, they did say it smoothed-out some transitions (smoother power application and levelling-out some 'dips' in the power curve) -- at the expense of "not making mother nature happy" (read: not meeting EPA -- for "off-road use only").

I'm not so sure it's a smart thing to spend $550 to make more noise to antagonize the public -- when any 'driveability' issues could (probably?) be 'ridden-around'...? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
In the October '09 issue of Sport Rider magazine, they test the FMF Apex (slip-on) exhaust on a ZX-10R Ninja ($550). Un-restricted (loud/noisey) it gave + 2.3 HP and + .9 Lb/Ft: with the quiet cone installed, it gave - (minus) .5 HP and - (minus) .8 Lb/Ft (compared with the ZX-10R's stock system). They did say it was lighter than stock and smoothed-out some transitions... :huh:
It was probably the same article? :unsure:

Yes, they did say it smoothed-out some transitions (smoother power application and levelling-out some 'dips' in the power curve) -- at the expense of "not making mother nature happy" (read: not meeting EPA -- for "off-road use only").

I'm not so sure it's a smart thing to spend $550 to make more noise to antagonize the public -- when any 'driveability' issues could (probably?) be 'ridden-around'...? :unsure:
All of this stuff is fine but if you don't get a base line dyno and sniff test on your particular bike before you modify it you will have no idea what your modifications gained and you have to use the same dyno for your test as all dynos will vary and so you can't go by someone else's stuff.

None of the test I've seen by Dale Walker, Muzzy and the rest have listed the AF ratio on their dyno sheets and without that it's diffulcult to judge the effectiveness of their system. If Walkers test mule FJR was stock and lean before he added his slip on's it certainly got leaner with them and because his test that he list on his web site doesn't list it, it's who knows.

On a 120 horse motorcycle you cannot detect a plus or minus of 2-3 hp by the seat of your pants as the normal changes in barometric pressure/altitude from day to day will change the power level by this amount.

The Gen I FJR's had some glitches in the power curve between 4500 rpm & 5000 rpm and again between 5500 rpm and 6000 rpm and these dips are present in Walkers test with both the stock mufflers and his custom cans.

Yamaha was supposed to have "tuned up" the injection system on the Gen II models but they too have some glitches in the torque curve as do Honda and BMW however the C-14's curve seems to be smother than all of them.

It would be possible with the PC V to create an FJR with a dead nut on power curve but you would have to find a sharp dyno operator with the ability to create custom maps on the spot to do it.

On a 120 horse motorcycle you cannot detect a plus or minus of 2-3 hp by the seat of your pants as the normal changes in barometric pressure/altitude from day to day will change the power level by this amount.
You're still missing the reason for the Power Commander as pointed out by HaulinAshe: the main benefit of a properly tuned Power Commander (or similar device) is smoother partial throttle transitions. You don't get much performance increase at 100% throttle (if any) by slapping a Power Commander on a stock bike, but you do get improved throttle control/smoothness in the areas where the bikes are normally leaned out by the factory to meet emissions requirements.

It would be possible with the PC V to create an FJR with a dead nut on power curve but you would have to find a sharp dyno operator with the ability to create custom maps on the spot to do it.
... or add the AutoTune module to have a "dead nut on" fuel map that is custom tuned continuously as you ride, adjusting for changes as small as temperature/humidity or as large as full exhaust replacement and intake mods without ever needing to pay a guy to tune your bike on a dyno. It's good stuff :)

Does anyone know if the Wideband O2 sensor that comes with the autotune module will fit in the stock O2 sensor Bung or do I need to weld in a new Bung? (I've been considering the Autotune but have questions)