Powerlet Options- Quick Q for those who have them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbvolfan

Reaction score
So, I would like to install the powerlet kit in my front right panel for use with my GPS system. It is my understanding that it isnt recommended for heated clothing such as electric gloves. In that case, I would like to add the rear seat kit as well.

Is there enough room where the battery is stored to connect both harnesses without any issues? I know I could just run the dual rear seat setup but I really dont want to have to run my GPS connection to the front and that will be used much more than the heated gloves.

I ride an 07 and have my GPS plugged in to the socket in the faring pocket and have an powerlet for my eclectric jacket liner on the left panel.

Mac

So, I would like to install the powerlet kit in my front right panel for use with my GPS system. It is my understanding that it isnt recommended for heated clothing such as electric gloves.

Not sure who told you that, but I was just on Powerlet's website and they definately have applications for heated clothing. They do have dedicated stuff for heated clothing as well as lighter duty stuff, like your GPS. I'm running my widder gloves through a Powerlet outlet in the right fairing panel and wired through a heat-troller, which is wired to a relay behind the right fairing panel. Not a problem at all.

Powerlet's website

It is my understanding that it isnt recommended for heated clothing such as electric gloves.
Hmmmm....never heard that one....except from possibly some heat controller manufacturer to preserve warranty. The nice postive copper connections of Powerlets transfer electricity quite well and I couldn't imagine running electric clothing without them.

However, I run the GPS straight to the battery. It's a very low draw item and have left it on many-a-night without ill-effect and don't have to worry about turning it on when I go or waiting for it to boot.

Many dozens of LDRiders run this way.

I installed a "powerlet kit" on the lower left side on my 07 for my Gerbing. It came with the plug-bracket and fused wiring harness. I used an existing small bolt to fasten the plug-bracket. The wiring harness took a bit of time to snake along the left side and under the gas tank(had to pivot the tank up), then wire to the battery. I think it was about $40, but it installed nicely.

I have the Right Panel Socket kit and would see no problem running heated gear from this connection. There isn't any difference between the double side mount sockets verse's the single socket for the panel. I have both set-ups and would use either for heated gear.

Wouldn't worry about it. Plug and Go.

My .02 worth.

Add me to the same list. My '04 has two Powerlets, the right front panel socket, mostly for my Garmin, and the left rear outlet attached to the bag mount where my Warn 'n Safe's plug in. No problems as of yet. Also used either/or, but mostly the rear, to plug in my Battery Tender during last winter. Which reminds me, and apologies for diverting this thread, but why does Battery Tender want their pigtail connected directly to the battery, yet Powerlet, who advertises there sockets as a good connection for a B. Tender, want only the positive going to the battery and the negative going to a ground? My instinct was to connect both ends to the battery yet I decided to follow their instructions and used a good ground instead. I hope I'm not missing something simple but can someone tell me why I would want to connect one way as opposed to the other?

I talked to the Powerlet people about this a while back, and they told me that the front-panel powerlet is fully able to support heated clothing, but they don't recommend it because of potential problems with the cables getting tangled up with the handle bars. I run my Widder vest and gloves from the front-panel powerlet all the time with no problems - I route it through an eyelet on my tank bang to avoid any handle bar problems.

Is there enough room where the battery is stored to connect both harnesses without any issues?
Yes.

For stowing the wires out of site, I made small slots to the inner fairings, just forward of the triple clamps. The slots were made with a dremel and are parrallel to the lower edges of the plastic, about 3/8" up. Tucking the wiring on the hidden side, I used small black tie-wraps to hold them there, nicely hidden.

Hope it helps.

Bob

I ride an 07 and have my GPS plugged in to the socket in the faring pocket and have an powerlet for my eclectric jacket liner on the left panel.
Mac

Hi Mac,

Kind of stupid question :unsure: but what kind/type plug fit to the socket, is it the same as the standard plug for car's cigarette lighter?

Thanks,

Hdoron

So, I would like to install the powerlet kit in my front right panel for use with my GPS system. It is my understanding that it isnt recommended for heated clothing such as electric gloves. In that case, I would like to add the rear seat kit as well.
Is there enough room where the battery is stored to connect both harnesses without any issues? I know I could just run the dual rear seat setup but I really dont want to have to run my GPS connection to the front and that will be used much more than the heated gloves.
Give me a call and I can answer any questions that you may have. I have a good supply of Powerlet products and I am an FJR owner myself. I also give discounts to forum members.

Jeff

707-224-9262

Mac

Hi Mac,

Kind of stupid question :unsure: but what kind/type plug fit to the socket, is it the same as the standard plug for car's cigarette lighter?

Thanks,

Hdoron
Yes, the stock '06-'08 outlet in the glovebox is the standard ol' cigrarette type outlet found in U.S. cars and available from the local autoparts store. It's fused at 3 amps so not a lot of capacity. The bummer is they do not provide a "positive connection" and tend to work themselves out when used on vibrating motorcycles.

2701535.jpg

The "Powerlets" are the actually BMW/Hella plugs....also used by John Deere and usually mail order from places like PowerLetProducts.com. The provide a nice postive lock or "click" when you plug them in, a generous amount of metal-on-metal surface area to flow amperage, and they're also much more weather resistant with the covers to the female side. I highly recommend them and have added two to my Gen I bike. One for my electric clothing and one that powers my tankbag....or my compressor.

ppl1.jpg
bmwaccessplug4.jpg

The two both wire into 12 volts, but have different "form factors" and not interchangeable as plugs, but one can convert from one to the other with an adapter. *Exception is that PowerLet makes a dual-use plug...but looks a bit cheesy.

Concur on bikeeffects.com as a great company.

Last edited by a moderator:
the powerlett is much better suited for heavy loads than a standard cigar lighter adapter. it stands up to vibration better and has more contacts. i use it for heated gear, powering my tank bag, and for plugging in my battery tender when the bike's parked.

for GPS, i use a hard-wired system designed for the GPS.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/jp/jp.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an 05 also - have a powerlet on the right panel running straight to the batter for GPS/Battery Tender. I was in a hurry to hook something up for my Widder vest for Lorie, so I ran a Hella outlet (just like a powerlet) into my BlueSea. Didn't mount it to the bike - just stick it under the rear seat when not in use. Meant to mount it eventually, but I like it just the way it is!

Powerlet (Hella) outlets are a good tough electrical connection. Tough enough to be used on Scotty downriggers for salmon fishing here on the 'wet' coast. The environment on the aft deck of a fishing boat in salt water is far worse than anything a bike goes through. The Scotty downriggers require a 15 amp fuse...smaller will not last.

I found the best place for my powerlet outlet's is on a very easy to make custom mount hung from an open bolt hole near the shifter...its perfict for my heated gear..........enjoy my Hot-Buddy mod!
powerletplugscustommount.jpg

Give me a call and I can answer any questions that you may have. I have a good supply of Powerlet products and I am an FJR owner myself. I also give discounts to forum members.

Jeff

707-224-9262
Thanks Jeff...the powerlets are book marked on my wishlist for "bike effects' so if a confused woman calls asking about a powerlet for some kinda "FJsomething", that would be my Mom. :)

I am actually looking to get the Powerlet (PKT-035), the battery tender cable (PAC-008-6) and a cable for the garmin etrex vista cx. I see a cable listed on the powerlet site for it (PPC-015, Mini USB Power Cable) but didnt see it on sportbike effects site.

I agree with Iggy. Powerlets are perfectly fine for high amp appliances. I've been running them off a heat troller for my vest since the fall of 2002 without problems.

I have two Powerlet sockets on my '06. One at the left rear that is unswitched for my electric vest and also used for the Battery Tender. I got the mounting kit that attaches to the muffler hanger. The other is switched and in the left fairing panel, in the little square that is used for the heated grips controller. had to drill a hole for it. I use that for my radar detector. They work fine. As was said before, you would not want to run a vest from the front because of cables getting in the way.