Powerlet Socket Woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just about to ask...what is the point/advantage to these powerlets? I've never actually seen them on a bike but from what I have observed from pictures, they look like a different design than the standard 12v auto socket. what am I missing?
the design is more robust and resists intermittent connection from vibration. it's more compact so needs less clearance. i have been told that it handles more amps because of the increased number of contacts. the plug also locks into place more securely than a cigar lighter (that vibration resistance thing again).

Last edited by a moderator:
For rider power, I prefer a Powerlet in the left fairing.

OPEN position...

IMAG0011.jpg

CLOSED position...

IMAG0012.jpg

You can easily wire this directly to the battery positive, using 12 ga. wire and a weatherproof fuse holder close to the battery terminal.

Ground/negative can be made to a spare frame lug located along the upper left radius, just below the nose cowling mounts.

Route the positive wire across the engine compartment, just above the radiator, and shield it with heat shrink or similar wrap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this photo UP! I have decided to go here with my socket, however it will be on the left side since my wiring is already there. This will actually work pretty nice since I can tuck the GPS power cable between the tank and fairing. Should make it a pretty clean install.

I was just about to ask...what is the point/advantage to these powerlets? I've never actually seen them on a bike but from what I have observed from pictures, they look like a different design than the standard 12v auto socket. what am I missing?
the design is more robust and resists intermittent connection from vibration. it's more compact so needs less clearance. i have been told that it handles more amps because of the increased number of contacts. the plug also locks into place more securely than a cigar lighter (that vibration resistance thing again).
I guess the part I am missing is...everything I have that is powered by 12V has the standard 12 male plug. How do you plug your 'whatever' into a powerlet plug?

I guess the part I am missing is...everything I have that is powered by 12V has the standard 12 male plug. How do you plug your 'whatever' into a powerlet plug?
There is a powerlet to whatever you need cable available.

I run this to my tankbag, then to the GPS, Phone, etc...

31gbMQWbLUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg