PR2 Front End Wobble with dynabeads balancing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the front tire removed today and sure enough they were stuck to the inside in some sticky stuff, didn't feel like taking it home to scrub it clean and take it back to mount so I just had it balanced with stick on weights for now. I'll have to pop the rear off tomorrow and do the same as there's still a slight vibration at triple digits, thought I might get lucky with it, but no joy there.

As far as the discussion on whether or not they work; they do, plain and simple, they just need a non sticky surface to roll around. I won't try and convince any doubters as I don't own any stock in the company, so it makes no difference to me;)

Happy riding and thanks to the op for the heads up, helped make the diagnosis quick and easy :)

Update: both wheels balanced conventionally, about 80% improved, slight vibration between approx 87-113 and an overall vibration (non rotational) at 4k rpm.

Any suggestions? Is there a specific method for front wheel reinstallation? On the vtx, it required leaving the pinch bolts loose and compressing/releasing front suspension before tightening the pinch bolts. Any similar procedure here?

A little disappointed in the Derby PR2s vs the worn out OE Metzelers so far. Could be a poor balance job, just never had a tire balance issue prior to this.

Three pages for this shit? ...
That was helpful, thanks!
glare.gif

"they just need a non sticky surface to roll around."

Good thing hot rubber meets that requirement. :rolleyes:

Yeah I have no idea how they worked on my previous bikes, they must have had a cooling system inside the tire
rolleyes.gif

Why is it so difficult to either respond to a person's questions with helpful advice or just keep yer trap shut otherwise? I didn't ask if you like dynabeads or if you think they work, don't give a damn what you think about them. I'm seeking HELPFUL suggestions to a problem, since I've already removed the beads and balanced with lead weights and still have a balance issue, what now genius?

This forum is really great and helpful overall but some people really try hard to make it otherwise.

Update: both wheels balanced conventionally, about 80% improved, slight vibration between approx 87-113 and an overall vibration (non rotational) at 4k rpm.

Any suggestions? Is there a specific method for front wheel reinstallation? On the vtx, it required leaving the pinch bolts loose and compressing/releasing front suspension before tightening the pinch bolts. Any similar procedure here?

A little disappointed in the Derby PR2s vs the worn out OE Metzelers so far. Could be a poor balance job, just never had a tire balance issue prior to this.
FJRAE,

Sorry you are having some of these problems. I had the DynaBeads in the PR's and had no problems. I am wondering if Michelin changed their compounds on the inside on the PR2's since others have had the same problem with them sticking. I have a New PR2 Front sitting on the garage and the inside seems to have the same inside lining as the PR's... so I am baffled by why this is happening to some.

One thing Not to due with them is to Run any Liquid type material (Slime, etc) in the tires so the Beads can Float Freely.

As far as your continued vibration, it could be the following:

1-The wheels may be not lined up correctly and hitting the calipers

2- The Brake Caliper's Piston(s) may not be releasing or not floating correctly

3- You could just have a Bad Manufactured Set of Tires, even though they look good.

4- Make sure your tire pressures are up to the 40/42 range

However, the last time I had the Vibration in the speed range your are mentioning, the Balancing was off and having them Re-Balanced (before I know about DynaBeads) corrected the problem.

Hope you find the solution to your balance situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
"slight vibration between approx 87-113"

OK, I put my genius cap on. :glare:

Multiple runs on different roads, no winds, no other vehicles stirring up air?

Yes, and no change?

I'm goin with shitty tar then.

Better? ;)

FJRAE,

Sorry you are having some of these problems. I had the DynaBeads in the PR's and had no problems. I am wondering if Michelin changed their compounds on the inside on the PR2's since others have had the same problem with them sticking. I have a New PR2 Front sitting on the garage and the inside seems to have the same inside lining as the PR's... so I am baffled by why this is happening to some.

One thing Not to due with them is to Run any Liquid type material (Slime, etc) in the tires so the Beads can Float Freely.

As far as your continued vibration, it could be the following:

1-The wheels may be not lined up correctly and hitting the calipers

2- The Brake Caliper's Piston(s) may not be releasing or not floating correctly

3- You could just have a Bad Manufactured Set of Tires, even though they look good.

4- Make sure your tire pressures are up to the 40/42 range

However, the last time I had the Vibration in the speed range your are mentioning, the Balancing was off and having them Re-Balanced (before I know about DynaBeads) corrected the problem.

Hope you find the solution to your balance situation.

It might have been the tire installer being too liberal with the 'soap' or the tires themselves, but the beads just stuck to the center all the way around. Next set of tires I'll prep beforehand and watch them being installed and that'll allow me to use the beads again.

As far as this set, I've gone back and rechecked the runout on the tires/wheels and all still looks good there with no caliper interference and full piston release. So it's looking like possibly a bad front tire or a poor balancing job, although if the tire does have a problem I doubt it would show up on a balancer since the vibration only happens at the higher speeds. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone in Daytona this weekend that can do on bike balancing.

Thanks for the input
wink.gif

(I still have my cap on), if I were you I'd balance them both yourself.

I don't trust those machines are maintained and calibrated all that well and some of the weight slappers are less than meticulous.

I'm doubtful, but I'll admit that magnetized porcelain is rather intriguing. :blink:
don't think non-ferus magnetism. think ceramic static electricity build up (a negative charge accumulating on the surface).

Why is it so difficult to either respond to a person's questions with helpful advice or just keep yer trap shut otherwise?
with under 80 posts to your account, you might not yet be aware that telling forum members (on most any public forum) to shut up is like chumming for sharks. given this is Friday, you get the double whammy of chumming and dogpiling (Google "dogpile friday" if you're not familiar with the term).

but begging for the double whammy in a zombie thread is even braver still.

Why is it so difficult to either respond to a person's questions with helpful advice or just keep yer trap shut otherwise?
with under 80 posts to your account, you might not yet be aware that telling forum members (on most any public forum) to shut up is like chumming for sharks. given this is Friday, you get the double whammy of chumming and dogpiling (Google "dogpile friday" if you're not familiar with the term).

Ahh, I see; those in the elite high post count class can roll eyes and go off topic and be unhelpful, but woe be to the low post count member that dare answer back. Beware the Ides of March!! Got it!

Fwiw I don't recall telling anyone to shut up; I asked why it was so difficult to respond to a specific question without basically shitting on the poster's choice in maintenance/repair? I could fully understand if this thread was about dynabeads specifically, as in do you think they work? But it isn't. And this thread is already full of 'dynabeads suck' type comments, it's a dead horse getting flogged into oblivion. Aren't there other sections of the forum for off topic as well as the neprt?

Dogpile away if that's what some of you like to do with your time, it's just the internet and I'm off to buy some weights and static balance the front wheel and do some more riding, peace out and thanks to all that took the time to reply with actual suggestions to correct the vibration.

"Ahh, I see; those in the elite high post count class can roll eyes and go off topic and be unhelpful"

No actually, a high post count is not a hijack prerequisite but starting or replying to a topic does require a certain amount of sarcastic immunity. :p

I like Iggy's analogy of the Tavern of the FJR and all advice here is worth every penny you paid for it.

Ahh, I see; those in the elite high post count class can roll eyes and go off topic and be unhelpful, but woe be to the low post count member that dare answer back. Beware the Ides of March!! Got it!
no. clearly you don't. it has nothing to do with post count and everything to do with good natured ribbing and heckling from a group of friends to a group of friends who learn to thicken their skins, shed their inner gurlie mahn, and laugh at themselves and others.

Fwiw I don't recall telling anyone to shut up; I asked why it was so difficult to respond to a specific question without basically shitting on the poster's choice in maintenance/repair? I could fully understand if this thread was about dynabeads specifically, as in do you think they work? But it isn't. And this thread is already full of 'dynabeads suck' type comments, it's a dead horse getting flogged into oblivion.
just how would you translate your own words of "keep your trap shut" (in my quote of your original message) other than as "shut up"?

Aren't there other sections of the forum for off topic as well as the neprt?
many parts of the forum are the place for having fun. the comparison of a tavern or bar where people get together to shoot the shit, talk about FJRs, laugh and be horses asses was actually pretty accurate. it ain't a classroom and it certainly isn't a church.

Dogpile away if that's what some of you like to do with your time, it's just the internet and I'm off to buy some weights and static balance the front wheel and do some more riding, peace out and thanks to all that took the time to reply with actual suggestions to correct the vibration.
wheat and chaff, d00d. chaff does serve a purpose.

So for anyone interested in the actual topic; tried to static balance with the wheel on the bike and calipers removed, just enough drag there to make this method ineffective, even with the pinch bolts and axle slightly loosened. Put it back together using the bounce method before tightening the pinch bolts. No discernible difference.

I'll make a balance stand when I get around to it and balance it again. Off to Daytona in the am to check out the

race, that'll be a long enough run to gain some possible feedback from tire wear.