Pre Paid Maintenance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
So I bit on the 3 years of maintenance for 798.00.

What are your thoughts on it. Covers everything including plugs for 3 years no mileage restrictions.

While I love wrenching and will, just thought it seemed like a good deal considering the 600 mile is all but 200.00.

Any bad experiences on this policy?

Lee

lee,

Back in '02 I paid for it also. Absolutely no problem with it. In fact, my dealer picked up and dropped off the bike for it's services as part of the contract. When I factored all the costs in separately it turned out to be a good deal.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your thoughts on it. Covers everything including plugs for 3 years no mileage restrictions.

While I love wrenching and will, just thought it seemed like a good deal considering the 600 mile is all but 200.00.

Lee
figuring you are suppose to change the plugs every 8K and Valves every 16K that would be a bargain for me. I dont wrench my own except for the oil. Hey does that include oil changes too ???

Willie

What are your thoughts on it. <snip>
I wish that was available when I bought mine! It's a better deal if you put alot of miles on, but regardless, it prevents you from putting off maintenance because of the cost, and will keep the warranty folks happy as well.

A LD friend of mine has an '07 that he bought an unlimited mileage maintenance agreement when his was new. He just turned 100,000 miles on it and paid for his first maintenance just before the trip he's currently on. He paid substantially more for his - I think more like $2500 or so - but it was still a deal as all of his service has been done at the dealer.

I'm not a big fan of that or extended warranties. I wrench my own and really prefer used bikes out of warranty. But, if you're using the dealer for service, then it's probably worth it.

Lee
figuring you are suppose to change the plugs every 8K and Valves every 16K that would be a bargain for me. I dont wrench my own except for the oil. Hey does that include oil changes too ???

Willie
Yes it covers any service at the required miles for 3 years regardless of miles. That means you pay for nothing unless you go to synth and then you only pay the difference in cost on fluid amounts.

I just think it was a good deal. Also they will give you 400.00 additional on trad-in value if you take the policy.

The hitch is you have to buy it on purchase, you can not add it after the fact like an extended warranty. A pretty young guy was picking up a R6 while I was there and he heard me talking about it and pulled me aside. I told him if he could afford it to do it. I also told him I had called around on the 600 mile service for my bike and it was 180-

200 for it. He added it to his bill.

First time I have done this on any vehicle but my riding partner has it on his BMW and it always made me a bit envious when I dropped him off and his bill was 0.

So in for a penny in for a pound I guess.

It also shows your dealer your going to support him. While we all can debate dealers both good and bad, they need service to make any money. And while this is about 1/3 of cost they know they have work when the bikes aren't selling. I think it is a win win for everyone.

Yeah I signed up for this when I bought my '07, as a matter of fact everything was going good, 3 oil changes plugs filters air filter...

Then just after 2 years and 12k miles the dealer went out of business so check the health of your dealership.

Reddog

Yeah I signed up for this when I bought my '07, as a matter of fact everything was going good, 3 oil changes plugs filters air filter...Then just after 2 years and 12k miles the dealer went out of business so check the health of your dealership.

Reddog

Great point. I will have the 12k before this time next year if not before. I ride year round here in PA so my car sits. I have watched this dealer for about 20 years or more, and they have gradually grown into a big dealer in new modern facility's. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Yzerman19 I hear you. My BMW saw the dealer for the 600 and never again till her demise at 30,000 in 2 3/4 years later. I bought it new and had an extensive maintenance journal including receipts and dated pictures. Too far and too damn expensive to deal with BMW dealers. However I liked the idea of someone doing the grunt maintenance, and also the high tech stuff, while I watch. These guys let me watch all I want so it is a good experience for me. Also I am going to bite on an extended warranty too so I think it goes hand in hand. A dealer is gonna have no choice but to fix it no matter what, he is doing the documented maintenance so it has to be warranty if it breaks.

I will learn and do all maintenance on my bike. If I ride I have to be able to wrench it. Oils will be changed in 20 miles by me, they can then do the 600. Yep I guess I just threw more money away but 600 miles on "chips n trash" is not me. I also do my own tires regardless so that covers brake maintenance of cleaning the pucks and checking action.

Hell I should have her nakid next week sometime to get some lectrics on her. I love to wrench as you learn what you are riding on and it gives you look over time to make sure all is up to snuff. More so then a pre-ride check.