PREMIUM FUEL

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use premium because I was told to by the dealer.
I couldn't even tell ya what a regular tank would do. When i hit the 25,000 valve adjustment we will see then. I don't believe I have ever put regular in the tank. It's suppose to keep the sloooooooodge out of the engine. Time will tell. Maybe I will have one clean burnin blown up engine one day. :glare:
Your dealer is a Moron. Don't follow his lead. :eek: I mean, if your dealer told you that you only need to change your underwear once a month, would you do that too? :p

RTFM. (Read The Freakin Manual! ;) )

178,000 miles on my FJR using plain old 87 octane. The bitch don't deserve no better. Iffin I gave her premium, she'd want to flip ALL the time!

And Brooke Burke? Hubba, hubba, hubba!

Last edited by a moderator:
PREMIUM? What Octane rating is that? like 91?

In holland 'regular' is 95, 'super' is 98.

In Germany 'regular' is 91, 'super' is 85.

So I think US premium will NOT damage the engine, because it is lower than the regular in Holland.

Here we think less than 95 is bad and more than 95 is useless

Premium in the U.S. is generally 91-93 octane, though some places advertise 'race fuel' with octane's significantly higher. At higher altitudes, normal can be 85 octane, with premium, or 'super' being in the 89-90 octane range. (As is appropriate - fuel needs less octane in higher altitudes (lower pressure) and cooler temperatures for a given engine.

But you can't compare our (U.S.) octane to yours (Europe) as it's measured differently. Apples to oranges to a certain degree.

178,000 miles on my FJR using plain old 87 octane. The bitch don't deserve no better. Iffin I gave her premium, she'd want to flip ALL the time!
:lol2: :lol2: You is a fungi .. er, funny guy :good:

:jester:

I get an extra 40-50 HP with premium. I use butt dyno to calculate this. Yep, it's accurate. The bike totally screams with premium. And with regular it just putts along.
And Brooke Burke is my pillion.

While Brook is hot, she, like your butt dyno, is artificially inflated.

Now premium won't hurt anything, (except your wallet), but you're not getting any benefits unless it's really hot and you're a gear too high for your throttle load.

Oh, and Lucy Lui is my pillion.
28v6on7.jpg

Like that's gonna happen!!

I dunno, I've lit my Hibachi charcoals with regular and premium, and once I toss that match, I can't tell any damn difference. :huh:

Premium in the U.S. is generally 91-93 octane, though some places advertise 'race fuel' with octane's significantly higher. At higher altitudes, normal can be 85 octane, with premium, or 'super' being in the 89-90 octane range. (As is appropriate - fuel needs less octane in higher altitudes (lower pressure) and cooler temperatures for a given engine.
But you can't compare our (U.S.) octane to yours (Europe) as it's measured differently. Apples to oranges to a certain degree.
Google is my friend :) There is a difference between RON, MON, AKI.

Also the price is different :( In Holland we pay between 1.30-1.50 per liter!!

I put premium in the XS for the first tank since it had been sitting so long, and she promptly died and wouldn't run... Then I remembered to turn the fuel petcocks back on :p

Run regular, that's what the bike was built to run.

I use premium because sometimes when I'm trying to do 45 up a hill in 5th gear with a fully loaded bike pulling a teardrop trailer, it pings.
chrisflock I think that is one of the reasons they gave the bike a 4th gear. Downshift and I assure you that you will save yourself some money. It has always amazed me that so many people use a higher grade of fuel than is recommended by the manufacturer. Being able to burn regular was one of the influencing factors for getting the FJR. I also have to wonder about a dealer that would recommend premium when it is not required. JMO.
I was kidding. I hoped throwing the teardrop trailer in would be enough...

I run regular unleaded in my FJR. I don't recommend leaded, or using lead additive.

If a person is too stupid to read the Goddamm owner's manual to figure out what type of fuel to use, how the Hell did they figure out how to get onto this site and post something? :dribble:

Oh, and Chris...I knew you were kidding. B)

If a person is too stupid to read the Goddamm owner's manual to figure out what type of fuel to use, how the Hell did they figure out how ...? :dribble:
From the FJR OM: Regular/u.l., >86 octane is recommended (nothing is mandated) -- if pinging occurs ... use premium.

Yamaha lists a minimum octane -- but, no maximum octane ... to be used in the FJR engine.

I guess?, if a rider was really working the engine and didn't want to ever risk pinging -- premium would be the fuel of choice? :huh: :unsure:

If a person is too stupid to read the Goddamm owner's manual to figure out what type of fuel to use, how the Hell did they figure out how ...? :dribble:
From the FJR OM: Regular/u.l., >86 octane is recommended (nothing is mandated) -- if pinging occurs ... use premium.

Yamaha lists a minimum octane -- but, no maximum octane ... to be used in the FJR engine.

I guess?, if a rider was really working the engine and didn't want to ever risk pinging -- premium would be the fuel of choice? :huh: :unsure:

Or... Ya could just dump a gear or two.

And folks wonder why we have so damn many warning labels on everything these days :rolleyes:

:jester:

I use premium because sometimes when I'm trying to do 45 up a hill in 5th gear with a fully loaded bike pulling a teardrop trailer, it pings.
chrisflock I think that is one of the reasons they gave the bike a 4th gear. Downshift and I assure you that you will save yourself some money. It has always amazed me that so many people use a higher grade of fuel than is recommended by the manufacturer. Being able to burn regular was one of the influencing factors for getting the FJR. I also have to wonder about a dealer that would recommend premium when it is not required. JMO.

Copy-n-paste is a harsh mistress. :rofl: