Previous Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honda V-65 Magna. The bike was getting old, and so was I for what I was asking it to do. I had a friend buy an ST1100, and a few months later it was announced the FJR was coming to the states. It looked cool in the pictures, had good HP, and gave me a way to get into sport-touring bikes without having to get the same bike he had. Man, I sure am glad he bought that ST.

'92 yamaha fj1200ABS from '05 to present; no swap---why would i want to do that? ( :

'92 yamaha fj1200ABS from '97 to present; see above;

'81 yamaha xs400 "special"<--yeah, right!; '84 to '86.

dean

cincinnati

2003 VStar 1100 - Rode it 45,000 miles.

2007 VStar 1300 - Rode it 4000 miles, was already bored with it in 6 months. And tired of the cruiser fashion show.

I always wanted an FJR, but didn't have confidence that my limited riding experience would let me survive on it. But along came a good deal on it last summer and all is well so far...

And so far nobody has patted me on the shoulder and said "well, maybe you can get a Harley next time".

Triumph Trophy 1200. Really liked it, more character than the FJR (whatever that means).

But a painful little finger joint meant I couldn't use the clutch without considerable distraction. Good old Mama Yamaha came up with the electric shift at exactly the right time for me.

And, yes, the Yamaha is a "better" bike. But I still miss the Trophy.

VTX1300C and now the FJR. Night and day. Not even a comparison except for two wheels. Love this bike and I have no regrets. Sure love the power and confidence this bike give me.

I spent 10 wonderful years with a 92 FJ1200. I amassed almost 100,000 miles and was still strong and reliable but the big 50 was here and I needed some depression relief. I sold the FJ to a friend and he's still riding it two years later and loving it. Still dependable as a boat anchor.

FJR was the FJ but more modern in everyway.

I still have to go over to Jim's and force him to carry out the maintenace on the old bike.

'79 Honda CBX - an awesome machine, but fueling six carbs the range was only about 125 miles. And I had this nagging feeling that some little 27 year old part was about to fail and strand me in the middle of nowhere. Never happened though.

The newest motorcycle I've owned prior to the FJR was an '86 Concours. Decided I needed a more contemporary design and ordered the '06 FJR.

Vulcan 750, no slouch for a mid range cruiser, but I wanted to go far, and the HD crowd at work kept asking me why I didn't buy a real bike. So I did. :rolleyes:

91 ZXR750, on which I spent fortunes buying all the go-faster goodies. Sold it in 02 when I moved to the US. (Last ever photo of me living in Scotland was aboard the Ninja, moments before leaving for the airport!)

Spent five bikeless years getting my house, furniture, car etc. then it was time to return to motorcycling.

Realizing I was not as young, flexible or quick reacting as I used to be, and recalling my days on an old FJ1100 which allowed me to see almost all the places in Europe I was interested in, the FJR was added to my short list. (Joining the Triumph Sprint ST and the Honda ST).

I then found this forum, and then a local dealer who had a new 07 AE with my name on it at a good price, so I took the plunge and have absolutely no regrets. Now just have to see some more of the States on it.

2000 BMW 1200 LT. Great luxury tourer...underpowered for the weight...but great in the twisties for what it is.

Dealers closing or dropping their BMW line made the closest dealer 4 hours away. I wasn't comfortable with the

sparse dealer network and my LT's ABS was giving me fits. I also got tired of the work involved in regular maintenance.

It took ALL day to swap out fuel filter, the air filter, or the spark plugs. I do miss the comfort of the bike...but I

absolutely love the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same story as Capt Bob except mine was "82".
"81 FJ1200.

Just getting a little long in the tooth."

Made a typo on mine, it should have read 91 (edited first post). :blink:

Not an expert on FJ's but I thought the original model came out (as an 1100) in 84. :unsure:

81/91 whatever, it was (and still is) a great ride :yahoo:

My previous bike was a 2002 CBR 954RR. No switch for me though. I still have the CBR and love riding the thing. For me it was more to add a tool for long distance riding and for touring. While I've done LD rides on the CBR, its a less than ideal choice.

Mine was a 82 FJ1100. Treated it like a red headed stepson and it just ran like a top. That was back when Montana had a $5.00 conservation speeding ticket that did not go on your record. Use to take $25.00 just to get across the state.

My last was a Yamaha XS750 triple. Never heard of a FJR before I picked it up. I'm fully converted now, thank you.

2002 CBR954RR

I had wanted a sport tourer. But Connie and ST1300 seemed touring side of sport touring. Considered a CBR1100XX but it was silver. A silver BLACKbird. So I got a small very fast toy. Put 23,000 miles on it through fall 2005. I injured my shoulder at work and well that was it for a sport bike. After the first surgery I still was not better so I traded it in May of 2007 for a 06 FJR-AE. I was able to ride 4400 miles the first summer. I love this bike.

Also still have 2002 KLR650

Lotta bikes over 35 yrs, but the last 2 were an 02 VFR (which I loved) and an 04 Hayabusa, (which scared the shit outta me). All three were in the garage at the same time when the war dept. had a conversation with me... Hence, I am pared way down to the FJR, an XR250R and a Polaris 4x4.

Bikes prior to this one:

2 02 CBR 954's.

02 R1 Still have this. It is the weekend hooligan bike when I am not out touring someplace on the FJR.

Why did I get the FJR. As a lot of people stated the comfort, long distance rides. All of the above. Really want to tour this country on the FJR up through the badlands, over through yosemite and down through the sequia nat'l forest.

It also serves as a daily commuter. Nice to be able to stop off somewhere and pick something up without having to worry about where you are going to put it. Can also leave it in a parking lot without having to worry about some asshat stealing it. Who wants to steal an FJR?

Merely curious...

If you're on an FJR now, what was your last bike, and why did you switch?

20005 BMW 1150RT (The one before they made it REALLY ugly). I went over to the FJR because my dealer and BMW North America did not want to honor the warranty on the bike. Their comment was "Mr. ******** you have a very nice motorcycle there I suggest you ride it". My comment back to them was this motorcycle is going to be gone so fast it will make your F#*%^$g head spin. Then I traded it for the FJR. I am SOOOOOO glad I did.