Previous Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
26 years on five different Harleys - '74 XLCH, '84 XLX, '87 FLHS, '53 FLE (foot clutch, tank shift), '96 FLHT. I also owned a few other bikes ('98 Honda VTR1000 and several dirt bikes) but always had at least one Harley in the garage. In '96 I took the FLHT on a three week solo trip and covered 28 states and three Canadian provinces. Last August it got creamed by an Escalade. Bike was totalled, I got away with a broken wrist, sprained ankle and a lot of cuts, bumps and bruises. I decided it was time for a change and used the insurance money to buy an '07 FJR. No regrets. I love this bike.

Dean, just went & pulled the paper work. 1984 FJ1100L / red & silver 127 HP 500 lbs.
my favorite paint scheme for the fj's. i think those colors just look great. i've even considered getting the fjr painted in those colors/that paint scheme.

dean

cincinnati

The Canadian Spec version had more power and was prettier..... IMHO..... : ;)

85YamahaFJ1100.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold my 2000 ST 1100 and my 2002 FZ1 to get my FJR. I thought the FJR would be the best of both worlds, and I was right! I sure loved that old ST, tho. I put 70K on it and never had a single thing go wrong. I've put 17K on the '07 FJR in 10 months without any issues, except for the throttle spring release, the PC III and the ECU replacement. Planning to keep it for at least 100K if I can find a comfortable seat.

2006 Suzuki Vstrom. Had it about 18 months. And while its a very versatile machine, something was just not thrilling me about the bike.

Scott

Had a 05 st 1100 but did not like how I felt with a passanger on the back when we got to a stop

did not like the one flat foot feeling

Sold it and bought an 05 Nomad - Ran it 4 a couple of years - liked it - put a tour trunk on it and pulled a trailer

Great camping unit for the familly

Got new rear passanger then a hankering for a fast bike again

Fell in love with the FJR and bought one.

Went into the hospital in November and had them add 1.5 in to each leg.

The pain of recovery was worth it. :yahoo:

Later

Had a '97 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird when I walked into a Carson City, NV dealer in April 2005 to buy a rear tire for it. The '05 FJR that I'd buy the next day was sitting on the showroom floor, new -- first one I'd seen up close, though I'd been lurking and interested for a couple years.

I was going to sell the '97 Blackbird, but decided to keep it. Then, in Jan. '06, I bought a '03 XX with just under 3000 miles on it (a trade in on a H-D) in Reno, and sold the '97 in July of that year. So . . . the answer is that I've had Blackbirds on both ends of my FJR purchase.

84 CB650SC Nighthawk, which I bought in April 98 after I moved from the frigid reaches of Northern Quebec to sunny So Cal. It was the first bike I'd had since high school, that one being a 74 (?) CB360 twin.

Nighthawk has been a great bike, and it owes me nothing, but it was never intended to for riding any great distance. Hitting the reserve at 115 miles is a bitch. Anyway, after 10 years of wanting to to MUCH longer tours, I decided it was time for an upgrade. Originally my eyes were on the ST or R-series bikes, but the local dealer had 3 in-the-crate '06 FJR's that they were anxious to unload... I got mine for under 10 grand, and it is an absolutely fantastic bike. I've got over 10,000 miles worth of rides planned for the summer, including NAFO.

Still have the Nighthawk, which will get some TLC before being put back into service as a spare bike and commuter weapon.

1993 Yamaha GTS1000A - Heli bar risers, corbin saddle, taller windshield. Really, really cool bike to look at, way ahead of it's time in 1993 (ABS, Fuel Injection, James Parker RADD front end, etc.), but once you ride a modern sport tourer, it starts to feel really old. Plus the detuned/up-torqued FZR1000 mill has about the same power as modern 600cc sport bikes.

Mine never had the hard bags and adding them wasn't worth the price and finding farkles for that thing was next to impossible. I was always surprised for as long as that bike was built in Europe, that more stuff wasn't available for it. Never had the ABS go out, but was waiting as I'm told most eventually give up. I can't decide if I miss the bike or miss the idea of owning that bike more and that's not a good enough reason to own it.

Hey Dean, kind of strange that my 84 FJ had the same horse power, 127, as my FJR has at the rear tire. Don't recall how many of those 127 HP made it through the chain to the rear tire. Seems to me that it was aroung 102 HP.

Hey Dean, kind of strange that my 84 FJ had the same horse power, 127, as my FJR has at the rear tire. Don't recall how many of those 127 HP made it through the chain to the rear tire. Seems to me that it was aroung 102 HP.
dunno.

comparing my 92 fj to my 07 fjr, the fj is more "brutish" in power, more raw. i suppose some of it is visceral, with the chain drive feel and the unipod filters i have on it giving an interesting sound. the fjr is more like an electric monster engine.

dean

cincinnati