Proper term to describe a resident of the UK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
A little debate taking place...are residents of the UK (specifically the Brits) OK with being referred to as Europeans?

May want to wait for an informed opinion, but the Brits Ive know where quite happy to be separated from the "Continent".

Along this line of thinking (seems this thread very quickly went off the tracks), I once asked an Aussie pal here in the States what they call Brits. Just as we call Australians Aussies, for example, and Candians Canucks, and people who don't get to live in California "unfortunate" (might not be on point with that last one).

Anyway, without missing a beat he says, "Palmy Bastards."

Remember Galipoli!

Jb

Just a guess, but I would surmise that folks from England would not mind being called, 'English, Englishmen or Englishwomen'. :dntknw:

Paging RogDeb.

Along this line of thinking (seems this thread very quickly went off the tracks), I once asked an Aussie pal here in the States what they call Brits. Just as we call Australians Aussies, for example, and Candians Canucks, and people who don't get to live in California "unfortunate" (might not be on point with that last one).
Anyway, without missing a beat he says, "Palmy Bastards."

Remember Galipoli!

Jb
It's actually "Pommy Bastards"

A little debate taking place...are residents of the UK (specifically the Brits) OK with being referred to as Europeans?
Europeans.......................Nope, Limeys, Brits OK.

Just a guess, but I would surmise that folks from England would not mind being called, 'English, Englishmen or Englishwomen'. :dntknw:
Paging RogDeb.
...and Xbrit and Fairlaner and our favorite Welshman (and mebbe OrangevaleFJR).

Would someone please pass the tea and crumpets? Thanks, awfully. That's a good lad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brits. Pommies. Limeys. Chip-eaters. Rosbif. Tommy. John Bull. Redcoat. Les goddams. English. Inglender. Anglo. Bloke. Chinless wonder. Crumpet sucker. Tea bag. Jeeves. Black and Tans. Wanker. Rooinek. Scottie. Big Mac. Cross dresser. Schemie. Weegie. Sheep shagger. Caber tosser. Haggis. Haggistani. Jock. McNugget. NED. Neanderthal. Pipe blower. Porridge. Thistle arse. Taffy.

But NEVER, EVER, European.

Slimey Limeys

Welsh wankers

The Fawking Irish

Handsome Scots !! :D

Never ever Europeans.. 'dem's fighting words !! :angry2:

Slimey LimeysWelsh wankers

The Fawking Irish

Since when did Scotts need words to start a fight? :lol:

I don't suppose you'd offend an Englishman by calling him a European, they'll probably just smile understandingly and secretly feel sorry for you. ;)

British, English, Limey with a wink...I don't think you'll find too many of us that really are very uptight about this stuff. I know Churchill was very proud to be called an American, as am I.

Lorie, the kids, and I visited the family castle just south of Melrose, Scotland. Lord George told us that in the old days the family would bring the animals into the ground floor and live on the second floor when the English Bastards raided. So I believe English Bastards is the formal term. Always remember that where you stand depends on where you sit!

Lorie, the kids, and I visited the family castle just south of Melrose, Scotland. Lord George told us that in the old days the family would bring the animals into the ground floor and live on the second floor when the English Bastards raided. So I believe English Bastards is the formal term. Always remember that where you stand depends on where you sit!
I would say that people born in England always think of themselves as English first and British second. The same would go for the Welch and the Scotish people too ( Right Ian ). European NEVER,

Is it time for a bacon buttie yet?

Richard

Slimey LimeysWelsh wankers

The Fawking Irish

Since when did Scotts need words to start a fight? :lol:

I don't suppose you'd offend an Englishman by calling him a European, they'll probably just smile understandingly and secretly feel sorry for you. ;)

British, English, Limey with a wink...I don't think you'll find too many of us that really are very uptight about this stuff. I know Churchill was very proud to be called an American, as am I.
I dont know ANY handsome scotsmen (Sean Connery aside)

P>S I always stand for the star spangled banner :paladin:

The WWII 303 fighter squadron and many more, called them back stabbing bastards. Just with a different accent.

No, Don't even go down that path, you will just upset someone, forget the brits, the german are very sensitive and don't even start with the french, Something about kicking the crap out of each other for the last 1000 years or so.

Chris