Proper term to describe a resident of the UK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that people born in England always think of themselves as English first and British second
Wife and her family are from Lancashire and London. I hear that it is UK, British, English. Citizens are Limeys and Brits in casual slang. Europeans are the ones that invade the UK from the east ;)

Right then,

I am born and bred in Lancashire, and am of parantage from the same region. I have been able to trace my ansestors as far back as 1750 in the same area, so I claim to be as English as can be proven.

I consider myself ENGLISH therefore take umberage at being called anything else. On our little cluster of islands there are 4 nationalities. English, Scots Welsh & Irish. All four are very patriotic and do not like to be associated as anything to do with the others. A bit tricky really as we are all joined at the hip so to speak.

For this reason when called anything else ie European, British or even wanker, It feels that the person describing me is ill-informed. It would be like me calling a Canadian a North American, or an American someone from Southern Canada. Would it bother you?....I think so!

European is a descriptive for many countries, which when looked at from your side of the water I suppose is what we all are. Call us what you want, but if you meet me, dont call me Welsh, Scottish or Irish. English preferably, British if you must, European I suppose, Wanker deffinitely. I'll buy you a pint whichever. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
...On our little cluster of islands there are 4 nationalities. English, Scots Welsh & Irish. All four are very patriotic and do not like to be associated as anything to do with the others. A bit tricky really as we are all joined at the hip so to speak.
Well, on my dad's side, I think the joining was at a slightly different location. Scotch/English on my dad's side...maybe even a little Irish if my dad is to be believed. :blink:

Evidently, on my mom's side, the danes & swedes didn't mind getting together on occasion.

In any case, none of those countries would have me I'm sure...American will have to do...or wanker as the case may be. And yes, I'll buy you a beer, if you don't offend me by calling me names. :)

But to answer the original question, you are free to call them europeans...and they are free to respond as they wish...

This reminds me of the whole "trainspotting" scene where the dude wants to climb the mountain.

While the UK is part of the EU, and UK residents are always English, sometimes British & sometimes wankers, all this is subject to who's buying the britneys! After all, it's bad form to insult the mate that's buying. :lol: They might ride Pan Europeans, but they're not European.

A little over 2000 years ago we were invaded by the Romans. There is evidence throughout the country to this day of their occupation. Buildings, town names, roads, and even the words that we (and you Americans) speak. The Romans, as mighty as they were, never made it into Scotland, or Ireland, nor did they completely dominate Wales. However they were here for a few hundred years and needless to say must have interbred with the locals, if not some of them settling here.

The last time we were invaded, about 1000 years ago if memory serves, England was completely over-run by Normans, (as in from Normandy). This was a group of fillanderers who had moseyd down from Germania and wreaked havock everywhere they went. Adding to their crew as they passed through towns and villages....(Probably on FJR's).

Anyway, these characters got fed up of the French (who wouldn't) and set their sights on our green and pleasant land. They sailed accross the channel and landed on the south coast near a pleasant seaside town called Hastings. They then burned their boats, (hence the saying) so it was fight and win or die.

If Harold (King of England at the time), hadn't just done battle with the invading Vikings in the North East, (and kicked ass) and had to jog his tired and wounded soldiers 200+ miles on foot to fight the Normans things might have been different. Harold got woped and history was made. William the conquerer shared out England amongst his generals and so we have a widespread gene infiltration from central Europe once more.

My point being that England has twice been forced to interbreed with invading armies. We have had a gene injection from the strongest and most dominant humans of 2 eras in human history. (We missed out on the Egyptians and held off the Vikings on the whole).

This is why, in my opinion, the ENGLISH have been so successful, whereas the Scots, Welsh and Irish have not, (they have contributed but not to a great degree), and have continued to let internal squabbling detract from any efforts to be succesful as an independant country.

Furthermore,

Did you know that the size of the solid rocket boosters on the shuttle was determined by the width of a Roman charriot?

The gague of your train lines 4'8" was the same as the English gague as they were largely built by English engineers. This was originally decided by the coach makers who had jigs to make horse drawn coaches. This in itself was decided by the fact that if coaches were made at any other width than that of a Roman charriot the wheels would bind in the ruts most commonly created by the aforesaid charriots. The charriot wheel widths were determined by the width of 2 horses.

The Rockets for the shuttle have to be delivered to launch by train and go through tunnels. These tunnels are just big enough to take a train and its cargo. Apparantly, bigger rockets were originally designed but it was realised that they would not fit through train tunnels.

Soooooo, the Roman charriot makers have had a direct influence on the space shuttle. Of course there is nothing to say that the rail widths would have been bigger or smaller had the Romans not had an influence.

Did you know that the size of the solid rocket boosters on the shuttle was determined by the width of a Roman charriot?
Not completely true: Snopes.com

By the way, calling me North American isn't so bad. I've always considered a Canadian an American with no gun and decent health insurance.... :)

Not completely true: Snopes.com
Fair enough, I was quoting from one of those emails that get circulated.

Another thing that occured to me was that at the birth of raiways in the UK there was a war between 2 engineers one of which was George Stevenson (the Rocket) and A.N. Other. They both tried to dominate the manufacture of railroads and stock. They used different gagues and eventaually Stevenson became the succesfull manufacturer and all the 'other' railway lines were changed to match his stock. Which used the 'Roman' gague and which had his own version, and where did he get it from?

Go on....correct me! :rolleyes:

Geeez... I had to doze thru 3 days of European History classes in high school, just to learn what I just picked up here in the last 10 minutes. :glare:

B)

By the way, calling me North American isn't so bad. I've always considered a Canadian an American with no gun and decent health insurance.... :)

Hey.

I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader...

And I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...

I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President.

I speak English and French, NOT American.

And I pronouce it 'ABOUT', NOT 'A BOOT'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.

I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.

Diversity, NOT assimilation.

AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.

A TOQUE IS A HAT, A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH, AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!!!

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!

THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!

AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

MY NAME IS KYLE!!!!

AND I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!

Brits. Pommies. Limeys. Chip-eaters. Rosbif. Tommy. John Bull. Redcoat. Les goddams. English. Inglender. Anglo. Bloke. Chinless wonder. Crumpet sucker. Tea bag. Jeeves. Black and Tans. Wanker. Rooinek. Scottie. Big Mac. Cross dresser. Schemie. Weegie. Sheep shagger. Caber tosser. Haggis. Haggistani. Jock. McNugget. NED. Neanderthal. Pipe blower. Porridge. Thistle arse. Taffy.
But NEVER, EVER, European.
A much more entertaining list than this one. :D

The proper way to describe a typical person living in the UK is "Immigrant" as we seem to have the best social security policy and the least number of forms to fill in to get it.... :blink:

All kidding aside, most people living in England that were born and brought up here will tell you they are English first, British next, European next - if only to distinguish themselves from African, Asian or American, for example.

Me personally, I had grandparents from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales - count 'em, one each. So that makes me Chinese because I was born in Hong Kong.

Don't stop me riding an FJR to Europe, if only to meet the folks we've been fighting with for 1000 years - they are very nice people, generally.

One last point to remember, the language is English and it's ours. You are only using it under licence and one day we want it back :yahoo:

BugR - Don't confuse what you believe with what your Government believes, (ditto for me and my Government). I'm with you on the Beaver, please do learn your A, B, Cs though, eh. Zed?? there's only one letter there my Canadian friend. :rolleyes: And don't be knocking the timber trade or Eskimos......er, I mean Native Americans of the North. Yeah, yeah, you're bigger and you're on top. We know. And no, I don't have any frigging WOOD when I cross the border, OK? :blink:

Noddy - We'll trade you Eubonics for half of English. We already butcher the other half into American anyway. What say you? ;) Immigrant described nearly all Americans too. We just saw something good and took it. Hmmmm, Canada looks nice....

Hey.

I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader...

And I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...

I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President.

I speak English and French, NOT American.

And I pronouce it 'ABOUT', NOT 'A BOOT'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.

I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.

Diversity, NOT assimilation.

AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.

A TOQUE IS A HAT, A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH, AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!!!

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!

THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!

AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

MY NAME IS KYLE!!!!

AND I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!
Even us proud Englishmen enjoy a little Beaver. :drinks:

Richard

BugR - Don't confuse what you believe with what your Government believes, (ditto for me and my Government). I'm with you on the Beaver, please do learn your A, B, Cs though, eh. Zed?? there's only one letter there my Canadian friend. :rolleyes: And don't be knocking the timber trade or Eskimos......er, I mean Native Americans of the North. Yeah, yeah, you're bigger and you're on top. We know. And no, I don't have any frigging WOOD when I cross the border, OK? :blink:
Noddy - We'll trade you Eubonics for half of English. We already butcher the other half into American anyway. What say you? ;) Immigrant described nearly all Americans too. We just saw something good and took it. Hmmmm, Canada looks nice....
I'm actually a Brit, Lived in the Great White North for 20 years and currently in the process of applying for my Canadian Citizenship.

I'm not upset, this complete thread is hysterical, apparently I'm a Euro-ican but you can call me BugR.

Chris

I'm actually a Brit, Lived in the Great White North for 20 years and currently in the process of applying for my Canadian Citizenship. I'm not upset, this complete thread is hysterical, apparently I'm a Euro-ican but you can call me BugR.

Chris
Hi BugR. :clapping:

I can testify to the English/British/UK/European accent! :) If he's speaking the King's/Queen's english...we all are speaking it wrong by a LONG shot! :blink: (j/k there bud.)

BTW, I like all the differences among us...it makes it very interesting meeting people with entirely different backgrounds from you...yeah they're different...but then also the same in many ways...they love motorcycling and love to ride that rocket FJR.

...Plus I like to say "eh" to all the Canadians..."eh" :)