Prospective Owner Needs Advice on Leftover '07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Hello all. I've been perusing used Gen II's on the Internet. Visited a dealer today and had no used ones but "claimed" to have a leftover '07 manual clutch still in the crate that he picked up at an auction. We didn't talk serious numbers. It looks like the used value of an '07 is about $10,500, but wanted to get the resident experts' feedback. What is the real-world value of this in your opinion? More? Less? About right?

Thanks for your help.

Gary

I can only speak about my experience of buying a leftover bike. I bought a 2007 VFR800 last year for what I felt was a fair price. However once the new VFR came out, the used market prices decreased. I would definitely try to talk him lower. See what the best price you can do on an 09 or 10 and then use that as your ammunition to get a better deal. Worst case, try to negotiate things like extended warranty or accessories.

Lots of those auction bikes don't come with a warranty so make sure you check that out.

It looks like the used value of an '07 is about $10,500
I've bought two used '07s in the past 3-4 months. One was with 8600 miles, very clean, paid $9800 from a private party (in hindsight, I probably overpaid for that one). Second was from a dealer, 16k miles, not as clean, $8500.

And don't forget, the MSRP artificially skyrocketed in '09 and '10

https://www.fjrforum.com/files/fjrcomparo.pdf

Also, be wary of the condition of the seals and other rubber parts with a bike that's been sitting unused for that long.

I wouldn't pay more than $10k out the door (and would try to get Y.E.S. thrown in as well. If you can't, remember you can get it from D&H for only $389)

It would help to know where you live and where the bike is being sold

Maybe fill out your profile indicating some basic info

First of all, get in writing the warranty status...some auction bikes sold do not come with a warranty...at least from Yamaha

Be sure to get everything in writing...might be some attractive financing available

Consider calling and asking about an extended warranty for their very attractive

Anything is negotiable...extra gear, farkles like a ;matching Yammy trunk, extended warranty for example

There is/was an '07 one here in New Orleans and it sold for $10.5 in April -> I saw it and it did have zero miles, but was on the showroom floor

It was trailered back and forth between the owners dealerships in Lafayette, LA and Kenner, LA (suburb of New Orleans)

MSRP

2007 - FJR1300A $13,799 (Yamaha website) Black Cherry

Make sure it comes with at least 2 keys (get extra keys and touch up paint out of 'em), an extra keyed matching lock for the trunk, and the inner bags for the hard bags.

from the gen ii bin o facts https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8660 :

Y.E.S. Factory Warranty (Yamaha Extended Service Plan)

$389 from D&H Cycle, 18115 US Hwy 31, Cullman, AL 35058, 256-739-1840, 888-553-3311

YES coverage can be bought from one dealer and apply to any other dealer fairly easily.

The one exception are Florida residents. That state is totally screwed up and passed a law that residents can only get insurance from in-state agents.

Make sure all recalls are taken care of like:

17-Oct-2007, Bulletin M2007-016

Affects 2006-2007 FJR1300A/AE, Poor Engine performance with change in altitude.

Parts Information: Part Number 90891-30054-00 (FJR 1300 ECU Kit, and 2 screws)

An alternate ECU can be installed to engage the altitude compensation feature with less than 1/4 throttle input.

More detailed info and excerpts from https://www.fjrtech.com/mods/FJR_AS_fix.swf

I dunno...those ground spyders probably need some attention...also the recall for the ignition harness

New Purchaser Checklist

Either personally double-check or ask the dealer specifically the following things before taking acceptance of the a new FJR:

* Are the saddlebag lock latch screws loctited? (validated this is still an issue with '07's, and:Security Torx Bit Link Clicky )

* Did you get theThird lock with bike in case you get a Yamaha top box?

* Are the Saddlebag body color caps included?

* Is the Toolkit under seat?

* Are the steering head bearings torqued? Many '05 were loose from the factory.

* Are the Mirrors tight? More than finger tightened. Consider changing to nylocs yourself when convenient. Or, alternatively, a tip from otrfjr: use 2 layers of teflon tape (the kind plumbers use & is $1 per roll) around the bolt. otrfjr found that this worked even better than the rubber washers on the mirrors.

* Point out any/all scratches

hope this helps

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I certainly appreciate you all taking the time and providing great insight, and so fast.

Profile filled out per your recommendation.

Actually, I am in FL which messes up buying the YES from out-of-state as I understand. And I was not aware that the factory warranty itself would be in question.

Here's another interesting, or awkward, dynamic about this bike. This all took place at a Honda dealership, not Yamaha. They have an affiliated Yamaha dealership down the road. And I even asked if that'ds where the sale would take place if it worked out. They said no. All would be done at the Honda dealer without Yamaha's involvement. Sounds fishy, but I certainly don'y pretend to know the in's and out's of the motorcycle business either.

Gary

Shop long enough and you will here some stories that make you wonder.

When I was shopping for my FJR, a dealer told me they had a brand new, never titled bike but they were waiting for a replacement fairing.

They claimed someone took it for a test ride and the fairing fell off! :blink:

I didn't buy from that dealer.

Here's another interesting, or awkward, dynamic about this bike. This all took place at a Honda dealership, not Yamaha. They have an affiliated Yamaha dealership down the road. And I even asked if that'ds where the sale would take place if it worked out. They said no. All would be done at the Honda dealer without Yamaha's involvement. Sounds fishy, but I certainly don'y pretend to know the in's and out's of the motorcycle business either.
I've got over ten years invested in the industry and I can tell you this much for sure. A Honda dealer CAN NOT warranty register a Yamaha. I give them some wiggle room for having a Yamaha in the crate if the same dealer principal owns both dealerships but... With out a valid Yamaha dealer number they can't send the info through to the factory. It would have to be done through the "other" store.

Over the years I've seen some pretty silly and strange things happen at the dealership level, the OEM's primary concern when screening potential new franchise owners seems to stop with their bank accounts and net worth... But I'd be asking a lot of questions, require to see the bike assembled before anything else happens.

As for pricing, NADA claims an average retail is $9,030.00 and low retail is $6865.00. Kelly Blue book has high book at $9080.00 and trade in is $6350.00. Based on that after I determined that the bike would indeed come with a factory warranty (which let's face it, from what your saying is a stretch) I'd start negotiations at $7K. Get his attention! *lol* I'd try to stay under $9K for it because just as soon as you take possession of the bike that's the max value of it. Anything over that and you're upside down for that amount right away. On the other hand, if everything is legit from a paperwork point of view and the bike isn't showing crate damage or has been a damage repair, let your conscious be your guide. Just don't let your heart over rule your head!

Good luck!

Bruce

2007s sitting for a length of time will probably need the clutch plates separated, cleaned, and re-assembled; better known as a "clutch soak." Make sure they'll cover it if needed. Not hard or expensive, but should be their problem.

Clutch soak

The Yamaha dealer has nothing to do with it because it's an auction bike. Some Yammy dealer somewhere couldn't unload it and put it up to the highest bidder, which was you Honda dealer.

Being an auction bike, its title has transferred, and it will have no warranty since it's not delivered new by a Yamaha dealer. That makes it a low-mileage used bike. Unless it's under something like 8,000 I'd skip it.

(I pulled that number out of a deep recess in the corner of my ass, I have no market justification for it. It's just how I'd feel about a 3-year old used bike.)

Hello all. I've been perusing used Gen II's on the Internet. Visited a dealer today and had no used ones but "claimed" to have a leftover '07 manual clutch still in the crate that he picked up at an auction. We didn't talk serious numbers. It looks like the used value of an '07 is about $10,500, but wanted to get the resident experts' feedback. What is the real-world value of this in your opinion? More? Less? About right?
Thanks for your help.

Gary
Don't know that I'd want a bike that's been sitting in a crate for 3 years myself? For reference, I bought an '07 in Feburary for $8,500. It had 9,000 mi, fresh rubber, came with bag liners, and a cover.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

The Yamaha dealer has nothing to do with it because it's an auction bike. Some Yammy dealer somewhere couldn't unload it and put it up to the highest bidder, which was you Honda dealer.
Being an auction bike, its title has transferred, and it will have no warranty since it's not delivered new by a Yamaha dealer. That makes it a low-mileage used bike. Unless it's under something like 8,000 I'd skip it.

(I pulled that number out of a deep recess in the corner of my ass, I have no market justification for it. It's just how I'd feel about a 3-year old used bike.)
I won't argue with your logic, but... It's against franchise agreements to sell a bike in a crate, it has to be set up and a pre-delivery done. Since failure to do this can cost a dealer his franchise, most won't do it. I know, most. Also, typically when a dealer takes "new" units they are the same brand that they sell and a dealer transfer is done, not an outright sale. Why would a Honda dealer want someone else's product up against what he sells and have to invest the cost of the unit as opposed to being able to floor plan his own brand? Just doesn't make sense...

However, if you are correct the Honda dealer has to be in the bike CHEAP. There wouldn't be any other reason to invest the capitol under these circumstances. Soooo, if that is the case maybe even your $8K figure would be high for the bike?

I'm still liking that the same dealer principal owns both dealerships and there is something going on because of that.

Bruce

I won't argue with your logic, but... It's against franchise agreements to sell a bike in a crate, it has to be set up and a pre-delivery done. Since failure to do this can cost a dealer his franchise, most won't do it. I know, most. Also, typically when a dealer takes "new" units they are the same brand that they sell and a dealer transfer is done, not an outright sale. Why would a Honda dealer want someone else's product up against what he sells and have to invest the cost of the unit as opposed to being able to floor plan his own brand? Just doesn't make sense...

However, if you are correct the Honda dealer has to be in the bike CHEAP. There wouldn't be any other reason to invest the capitol under these circumstances. Soooo, if that is the case maybe even your $8K figure would be high for the bike?

I'm still liking that the same dealer principal owns both dealerships and there is something going on because of that.

Bruce
That brings up a concern: Since the bags don't come in the crate with the bike, where will this Honda dealer get the sidebags (not to mention the liners)?

I paid $9870 for my '07 last September. Had 1875 miles on it, was a trade-in and had been sitting at the dealer for three months or so being shuffled between locations cause it wasn't selling. May have paid a bit too much but it's been worth every penny.