Protective clothing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baheid

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me the way some riders in the US dress for bike riding. They obviously have not had any kind experience similar to our friend - Remington Rider because otherwise they would dress approriately.

I have to say that in Florida it is tempting to discard clothing in order to keep cool but to ride a bike with a tee shirt, shorts and no helmet is simply asking for trouble. I ride my bike daily and I have to admit that I can get a wee bit sticky with all my gear on but I would never be tempted to leave off anything that will prevent me from being injured in the event of a crash.

Coming from a country (Scotland) where protective gear is very much dual purpose - the climate dictates what and how much you wear as much as being safe, we do not have an option.

Roads are made from concrete and are very unforgiving.

Be safe!

+1!

There are a number of forum members who have, for the benefit of other members, "road tested" their gear and proudly proclaim, "It works!"

To borrow an advertising phrase: "Don't leave home without it!"

And for goodness sakes....WEAR IT!

ATGATT, nothing like it for saving your skin. Having been a NJ rescue squad EMT for 17 years, I can assure you that a get-off at modest speeds without proper gear may land you in a burn center for a few weeks. Even without broken bones, the likelihood of infection from road rash is significant. And the treatment can be more painful than the injury. One of our squad members went down avoiding impact with a deer, and landed in the St. Barnabas (Livingston,NJ) burn center for 3 weeks. The worst experience of his life.

Yes, it is annoying here in hot and humid Florida, but I would rather be hot and sweaty than road rashed.

Bob

I go by the motto that I only cover up what I want to keep. So far, I haven't identified any body part I am going to willingly let go of. Me be ATGATT.

Buy the best gear that you will wear. Make sure it is comfortable and you will wear it. Ignore the laws of physics at your own (and those that depend on you ) peril.

And on that happy note, enjoy the ride!

mr.paul, from Minnesota

A couple of years ago a kid here died from injuries sustained in a get-off he could have gotten up and ridden home from, had he not flayed himself on the street. Off to the burn center, grafts, infections, didn't pull through.

There's a lot of "Can't happen to me, I'm too good" mentality out there, along with, "Well, I'm not planning on crashing!" WTF does that mean??!?!? Take a survey at the hospital and find out how many of those guys were "planning on crashing."

Stupid hurts.

Preaching to the choir here, brother. I feel funny moving the bike from the driveway to the garage without at least a helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another part of being safe is being mentally alert... not dehydrated, for example. You are better off with gear that controls the rate of evaporation and of course, drink water!! Don't go down because you are tired or find yourself mentally wandering.

Breathing proof ATGATT saves lives. Out in SD at Mount Rushmore and playing in the Bad Lands. Left the camp grounds it was 80 degrees at 8:30 in the morning! I made a concession, I chose my 1/2 over my full face helmet. Bad choice! Still full gear down to the boots, however at 65 MPH the 1/2 was not up to the task IMHO. I left the road and tried to get over the berm 3 times, the third was the charm as the front wheel turned cross ways on the berm and me and 950 pounds of bike high sided. I was ejected and landed on my left shoulder and left side of the 1/2 helmet. It did the job of absorbing impact and taking the slide however my glasses and a portion of my left eye socket took some damage, about 18 stitches. However I also broke C1 and C2 in my neck that I am still waiting on it to heal. I may pin it depending on the cat scan next Monday. I believe with all my heart had I had my full face on I would not have sustained the neck injury and certainly not the facial injury from my glasses. However I also broke my right wrist and it was platted and 7 screws, and also a minor break to my left ankle.

My point is even in gear you are going to take a whipping I mean we are mere flesh and bone. I am healed enough from the breaks that I could ride, the neck is another issue. I had no road rash but my right shoulder got burnt from the impact and the CE armor turning a bit, it actually brush burnt me. I passed over desert with all it's wonders and nothing punctured any of my gear including my gloves, and I had no blood other then the side where my glasses dug in. The 1/2 helmet is hanging on the wall as a reminder that I will never wear one again even though I believe it saved my life.

At 53 my S has all but completely faded off my chest. Man when I was in my 20's it was bright red and I did not need no stinking cape.

I live in a choice state and for me there has never been any other choice but to wear a helmet. But I did ride in t-shirt and jeans but always had good riding boots, just not motorcycle specific.

I respect everyone and their choice in how, and what they ride in. All I know is that I am glad I have mesh summer and closed, heated gear for the winter. It is worth the investment. I also know that a full face or full coverage helmet will always be on my head when I am on the bike. Everyone makes their own choices.

The Bad Lands are right outside of Stugis and I was 1.5 hours out for the Ambulance. The State Policeman, the couple who pulled over first and started working on me who just happened to be Ski Patrol EMT's, the ambulance crew, the Nurses, and Doctors at Grand Rapids all said the same thing, your gear saved your life, we know, we see the carnage on a regular basis, steady diet of it. They were very kind, and seemed very appreciative that I cared enough to protect myself the best I could in a dangerous sport.

Again I ask all not only to consider what your life is worth to you, but also to all those around you who you affect?

Off The Soap Box

I always say, buy the best gear that you can afford and get it properly fit so it is comfortable. And finally, wear it.

A Harley salesman once told me, "If you got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet."

I was hit by a daydreaming cager in March 2007. I suffered a shattered tibea plateau, shattered tibea, dislocated ankle, shattered foot, lost 40% of my knee and broke my shoulder. I still have metal, wires and screws holding the mess together. I had on one of those dumb-ass 1/2 helmets and only through providence or luck I kept my face. I slid about 10' on a curb and most of the outer layer of the 1/2 helmet was scraped off where it slid along the curb. I shudder to think that 3" lower and that would have been my face being scraped off. The EMTs said that my Kilmanjaro jacket and armour definitely prevented internal injuries. I had just bought it and this was my first time wearing it. One month in the hospital, 6 months off work, 2 years of physical therapy, a bone graft in my knee and I was riding again, never again with a half helmet.

If I'd had protective pants and boots (I was wearing jeans and Harley boots) I probably would have fared much better.

Everyone is free to wear what they want, but anyone who says helmets don't save lives is kidding themselves. Other protective gear is a good idea too :)

I realy don`t think that anyone would argue against the value of proper protective clothing when riding but ATGATT will not make you invincible. Riding gear`s primary value is at moderate speeds but decreases dramaticaly as speeds rise and about the only thing that a fancy suit is going to do in a highspeed get off is keep all the body parts in one place. All that gear can give a rider sense of security that it can`t deliver.

plug.

Guys

I'm really delighted to hear that there are so many who agree with me on this subject but a thought has just dawned on me.

When I think about it, the majority of riders who I see inappropriately clothed here in Naples area (that's not counting the lunies in their multi- coloured beach shirts) are riding Harleys!

The really concerning thing is that when I see a BOB, they too are flashing skin everywhere. Not that I'm a prude, despite my presbyterian upbringing I like a wee bit ogle now and again,but these gals must have been told that it's OK for them to dress like that?

Imagine saying to the missus - "Just you jump on Darling - no need for your helmet etc - the fresh air will be good for you"

I realy don`t think that anyone would argue against the value of proper protective clothing when riding but ATGATT will not make you invincible. Riding gear`s primary value is at moderate speeds but decreases dramaticaly as speeds rise and about the only thing that a fancy suit is going to do in a highspeed get off is keep all the body parts in one place. All that gear can give a rider sense of security that it can`t deliver.

plug.
The odds are in your favour if you ATGATT.

plug.
If you really believe that you are sadly mistaken. You are entitled to your opinion. If not for the CE armor in my jacket I am sure my shoulder would have been broken. If your ever in my neck of the woods please stop by. I would like to tie you to my bumper and drag you down the road a bit. Then if there is anything left of you, and you promise not to bleed on my leather interior, I will put my gear on and you can drag me the same distance.

I don't argue choice, I do argue stupidity. One can be changed, the other cant be!

It never ceases to amaze me the way some riders in the US dress for bike riding. They obviously have not had any kind experience similar to our friend - Remington Rider because otherwise they would dress approriately.
I think you're preaching to the choir here. So many forum members have posted stories of life and limb saved by wearing good gear. Sure, it's tempting to feel the cool air rush by your skin on a warm day, but if you plan on riding any distance that exposure can lead to sunburn, dehydration, heat exhaustion plus all the risks that come with a get-off.

Way back in another lifetime, in England my Dad drilled into me that no helmet, no gear means no ride. It didn't sink in right away, since I knew a whole lot more about stuff when I was sixteen than I do now, but he was right.

My DH was thrown from his bike, by the actions of a thoughtless driver. He went from the northbound carpool lane to the southbound carpool lane. The CHP officer at the scene described the bike as 'vaporized' Andy spent five weeks in the hospital then several more weeks in a hospital bed, at home. Thanks to a good helmet and good gear, his brain and skin were intact. Had he suffered from road rash, the surgeries to insert his orthopedic hardware would have had to be delayed. He would have had external fixators applied to three limbs (and pyschotherapy, because the sight of the fixators drilled into the bones, would freak him out). The risk for infection is extremely high with open skin. In short, his recovery from the broken bones was tremendously helped by having intact skin.

ATGATT people. You do everything you can to avoid a crash, but if the worst happens, you mitigate the damage by wearing the gear.

I realy don`t think that anyone would argue against the value of proper protective clothing when riding but ATGATT will not make you invincible.
I guess I agree kinda. People that spout alphabet as the end to all injury wear me out. PPE is the last line of defense, not the front line. Riding sensibly for the conditions and your skill set with an awareness of things around you seems to be overlooked by alphabet spouting folks. Using your head for something other than a place to put your helmet is the best defense against injury, period. Wear gear or don't, it doesn't matter to me. I don't give anybody grief for either and expect the same courtesy. The bottom line is that riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous, there's no way to totally remove the risks. Due to the MC's lack of stability and protection when things go south, you are very likely to get hurt. Riding gear can *reduce* the level of injury in such situations, but a sharp mind is the only thing that can really *prevent* the injury. There ain't no silver bullets.

JMHO YMMV

... but a sharp mind is the only thing that can really *prevent* the injury. There ain't no silver bullets.
You're right that there are no silver bullets, but a sharp mind doesn't always help. I had a cager make a right hand turn into me. He "didn't see me" and just whipped the wheel. I had not time to react; I just saw the F350 insignia and went flying. I don't care how sharp your mind is; there are some accidents that can't be avoided.