Pulled the Trigger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
Well after considering the Connie 14, the VFR, and the FJR I pulled the trigger.

I have them assembling a 2010 FJR in any color as long as it is Silver, as I peck this out.

I think I got a good deal at 14,590.

I can not tell you all how thrilled I am!!!

It seems here in PA they are a bit hard to come by. NY seemed to have a bunch but it would have been very inconvenient to close the deal.

So I been reading and reading your Forum here.

I am pretty fussy and I like to be proactive on things.

So from what I read I am going to need a few things.

I think for sure a seat. Any and all recommendations there other then Corbin would be appreciated.

I also think the grounding leads to just put that to rest from the beginning. So I need to contact that person.

Then I will need to change the suspension out to Race Tech and the flavor of shock most recommended. I used Hyper Pro on my BMW but have no idea what is best on the FJR. I know it sounds a bit crazy but keeping the OEM shock as new gives you the spare for rebuild time. And while hard to swallow price wise a after market shock is night and day to OEM so why wait to enjoy it.

I think that will do me to start.

Those with top boxes do you love them and consider them must have? It is the only decision I have left that I am unsure of.

I just can not tell you how excited I am. I wont be able to sit a bike for at least 3-4 more weeks though so that sucks. 65 MPH get offs are hard on old guys.

However if I can get the bike and gather some things to get to know it and then throw a leg over and go I will be thrilled.

Thanks for the information you all have contributed to this forum which helped in my decision process a great deal.

VERY Excited in PA

I beleive this to be a great bike and look forward to proofing that out.

Grats! I would ride it a bit before swapping out seat and suspension... try dialing in the suspension as soon as you get it. Comes from factory all goofy soft.

I have the Givi SR357 mount (great mount) and a Sears cheapo top box. The mount is fantastic.... the topbox... well, it works. I'm saving my pennies for a real givi topbox but I have a very regimented monthly farkle allowance and there are other priorities. Like the new Arai Profile waiting for me at the local Cycle Gear shop....

You eastern or western PA?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard... You sound like you know your way around so I'll keep my .02 brief.

Seat: There is a Russell Group buy going on now (once a year gig). Other bikes and forums show up here to jump in on this. The Russell is fantastic, and you will save 30% on the group buy. Just make your mind up quickly, it will fill fast.

Here's the Link

Suspension: I have never been spoiled with the after market stuff, and that might be a good thing. Sounds like you are well aware of what you want.

Top Box: I had to have one. Side cases are "OK" for storage, and great for heavy items (keeping the CG low). But a my TopBox is my daily storage. The Givi E55 is a big box that will hold 2 FF helmets easy. The box looks (to me) proportionate to the bike and side cases. Others think you have a big bubble chasing you. I never would have picked the E55, till I saw it on another FJR.

I mounted the box to the Premier Cycle FJR rack which gives you some Fore/Aft mounting options, and a well made, all metal surface.

Congrats LAF and Welcome to the Forum. You are going to LOVE THAT BIKE!! :yahoo:

First Things First!! SLIDERS!! :rolleyes: Trust Me on that One.

You made a good choice!! But, I don't know if you got a good deal????? Doesn't matter as long as you're thrilled!

The jury is still out for me on the stock seat. I have a corbin (front and rear) that was given to me (that might be a clue?), but I'm too tall (6'2") for the drivers seat, and corbin drivers seats don't adjust. The rear seat with back rest is nice, at least my wife and daughter tell me that, on the rare occasion that they ride pillion (wifey has own bike). I just ordered the Alaskan sheepskin pad, and we'll see how that works. Currently the stock seat works for about 200 miles at a shot, then I need a break. I realize that a Russell will probably be the seat that I eventually get, at least from what I read on this Forum. Adopting the "Master Yoda" riding position really helped with initial issues I thought I was having with the seat and handle bar positioning.

I did buy an aftermarket windscreen and after perusing the opinions here, I decided on the Rifle +5 +4. WOW is it nice compared to the stocker. A little more expensive than the other brands, but I think it is great, but then again I've never tried the others.

1st thing I did was put on sliders and a G2, before I even rode it, and again based on advice from this forum.

After 4k miles I love this thing! And I haven't tipped it over........................yet.

Mine is a 2006 A model that I bought in January, with less than 600 miles on it!

Welcome, LAF, from another old guy (b. 1950). I have had my FJR since '03 and, (except for getting hit by some guy riding a a Harley on Tioga Pass Road in Yosemite and high-siding in some thick gravel on the Dalton) I have enjoyed every moment on the bike. Hope you heal quickly from your get-off.

You have found a great resource here, but you likely know that already. Having a Gen I bike, I am not sure how much help my experience will be but you are, I believe, on the right track with your views on suspension and seats. I have Willber's suspension gear on my bike as a result of a group buy years ago. The world has moved on, though, and Race Tech or Penske is probably the way to go now. I use a Bill Mayer Saddles seat. He is in Ojai, CA and I did the work on a ride-in basis. Rick Mayer, Russelll Day-long, Corbin, Sargeant and other seatmakers have loyal users here, too.

I use a Givi top box but would probably go with a flat rear deck set-up and an appropriately-sized Pelican case if I were to be rigging the FJR today.

Congrats! And welcome to Feejerland.

I too am 6'2" and I must be the odd man, cause I am fine with the stock seat! Go figure! Anyway, all I have done to my '08 is a helmet lock and sliders!!!

Great bikes, you will Love it!

MJ

Hi LAF

Welcome to the FJR brotherhood. Do us a favor and adjust the location information under your avatar so we know whereabouts in this great country you call home. It makes for more interesting conversations on line here.

My suggestion is to light up that front end. Put some running lights down low to make it easier to recognize you as a motorcycle up close rather than a car far away. Driving lights up high help too.

Sliders are always a good investment, they saved my bodywork from major damage last year when the ELK attacked.

You may want to hold back on spending big dollars on upgrades until you put some miles on the bike.

By all means upgrade your riding outfit to get the best there is.

Most importantly, don't forget you'r co-pilot every time you swing your leg over the saddle.

Ride safe. ;)

Brodie

Congrats but don't buy a thing until you check it out for yourself. Put a least a few hundred miles on it. Tweek the suspension before you spend money on it. The stock seat works perfectly for me. I'll be looking for a larger windshield and will also buy a top box but haven't decided on which one but leaning toward Givi.

Good luck, Bill

LAF,

I've read so many posts of people spending a "Butt Load" of money on seats that they eventually did not like and wound up changing, that I tried a Very Inexpensive set of bicycle shorts with a wide

gel pad in them. They were/are perfect! I got them at Sports Authority. This was the best $42 I've ever spent. While new, the ridng will be great. But, when walking around, you will feel like you have a

Big Load in your diaper. That will go away in No Time!. After a few rides, the gel pad will compress to perfection. No more Load in your diaper and the pressure points will be covered. I did a 9 day

2,700 mile round trip to Eureka Springs, AR from WPB, FL to SFO 09 last year and my Butt was Comfy the whole time (other than the normal sensation of sitting on your Butt all day). :dribble:

I averaged about 450 miles per day and loved every mile of it! Give them a try before you spend big bucks for something that is going to sit on a shelf in the garage. :rolleyes:

Come to NAFO in Knoxville, Tennessee.

See every farkle possible! :blink:

Sit on every type of seat made! :chickawow:

Learn more about your FJR faster than you believed possible! :yahoo:

clicky

I have the Yamaha trunk and like it. I also have the Yahama touring windshield and like it. As far as the suspension goes, try the advice here before anything else; the results are well worth the effort, and it's free.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Thank you for all the replies.

I am going to listen to all the advise and slow my roll.

I will go with sliders and try to figure out what for a top box and mounting it.

I am a fan of be seen not heard so Moto Lights and some LED for the rear will be pretty quick.

I guess the bigger question is risers. I am pretty sure from my fist sit on the FJR I will need them. I can not take pressure on my arms or wrists even a little. So what do you guys use for them?

Again I thank you for the welcome and the advice is priceless.

Lee

I have the Yamaha trunk and like it. I also have the Yahama touring windshield and like it. As far as the suspension goes, try the advice here before anything else; the results are well worth the effort, and it's free.
Good luck. :thumbsup:
+1 on the Yamaha Top Trunk. :eek:k: It cost more then the others but, the Trunk's Lines blend in beautifully with the rest of the Bike.

and Yeah! it will come in handy as hell for you and your passenger. Just wait a little before buying the Back rest pad cause some passengers feel it pushes them forward a little too much

especially if they have a decent back pad in their jacket. :clapping: