Pulled the Trigger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Top Trunk that I want to sell. It is for the 2006 and has the factory fix mod from the previous years. It is Blue and has one very slight paint mark on the top right edge where it rubbed against a hotel room wall when opening.

I have a friend who has asked me to hold it for a short while. If it does not go to him, I will post back here with a deal on price.

I also have a great steering head GPS mount for a TomTom Rider. I posted it in the Parts for sale area but nobody has responded. I have an extra windshield for sell too. It is slightly used and I can send you a picture if you are interested. It is not scarred just used.

I wish I had more money, because I really would like to have that new FJR in garage.

A caution on the risers... I did not really need them until I changed seats out (from stock seat to Russell). So I would highly recommend risers be one of the last ergo's you address after some seat time. If you feel your going to swap seats it will most likely change your riding position somewhat, which in turn will change your arm position to some degree.

The Yamaha topbox is a quality product, but other than the paint match visually and functionally did not work for me in comparison to my Givi. It's definitely a personal preference item.

Lee,

Calm down. Do nothing for a month. Ride the moto & see how it is for you. You bought a top of the line ST.

I have had mine for a bit more than a month. Changed the oil (no problem). I just rode the bike, played with the controls and tried to get used to it. As far as farkles here is my take.

Seat - Best stock seat I have had. I am 5' 10" 175 lbs. Rode on the bike for 4.5 hrs the first day. No issues.

Top Case - Can't comment on a top case. Don't use them. Lots of mfg out there.

Handling - If you are used to lighter high HP bike you won't be able to rip through the corners the same way. You won't complain about the handling. If you crank it the FJR is a very powerful moto.

Windshield - Love it. Best feature on the bike. I ride with the shield adj so the wind hits me at the helmut level. If you like over the head wind you may need a new shield. Depends of course on how tall you are

Again thanks guys.

I have slowed my roll. I went with sliders, Top Box with Yamaha mount. That be it.

I like the color match and lines of the Yamaha top box.

I will just do the suspension settings as suggested and settle into the bike.

Coming off the BMW LT it was 867 lbs so I see this as a much lighter bike. Still 600 pounds is nothing to toy with either.

The insurance thing looks to be settling out and should be fair.

I got 600 off list and 20% of the top box and sliders so I think the dealer is being fair to me, especially in this economy. He did not give anything away but he gave me breaks every time I asked, like off list and a parts break. Also in PA there are very few FJR's available I thought I might have to go to NY and buy.

So maybe late next week I can post up some pics. Man I cant wait to see it in my carport.

I may need to call out for a Tech Session (you guys do that right?) to install the grounding spiders and help me get her skirts off. Again Tupperware don't scare me as the LT was a bunch to get naked.

Anyway don't mean to go on and on, but the feedback from owners is great and will save me a bunch of grief down the road, and right now I just want to feel the excitement of being alive, and having a new bike on the way.

Thank you for all for the help and thoughts.

I averaged about 450 miles per day...
Lightweight. ;)

I didn't get a Russell until I had the FJR for about 7 years. Should have done it about 7 years earlier.

I bought a Wilbers and replacement fork springs through the first Wilbers GB. Better but, I had it and the forks rebuilt and resprung through the last GP Susupension GB and now it actually feels more like a SPORT touring bike.

It's a great bike but a few changes to tailor it to what you plan on using it for will make a world of difference.

Don't forget to read the "Darkside" thread too. :devilsmiley:

I bought the Corbin seat. It made a difference but it isn't as comfortable as I would expect. The rear seat is rather heavy, they used plenty of metal on the frame and attachment point, a little engineering could have saved some weight. For the Corbin I would rate it a 7 out of 10. Definitely do the suspension adjustment mentioned earlier. I did mine and made a big difference in handling. The most important thing you will need is some sort of throttle lock or cruise control. The throttle on the FJR's is extremely heavy - I tried the master spring un-coil technique and it helped a little. Anyway congrats on the purchase. I just took my on a group ride with a bunch of crotch rockets, the FJR held its own, if I had the balls I could have possibly beat many of them.

I have a Top Trunk that I want to sell. It is for the 2006 and has the factory fix mod from the previous years. It is Blue and has one very slight paint mark on the top right edge where it rubbed against a hotel room wall when opening.
I have a friend who has asked me to hold it for a short while. If it does not go to him, I will post back here with a deal on price.

I also have a great steering head GPS mount for a TomTom Rider. I posted it in the Parts for sale area but nobody has responded. I have an extra windshield for sell too. It is slightly used and I can send you a picture if you are interested. It is not scarred just used.

I wish I had more money, because I really would like to have that new FJR in garage.
Let me know if the top trunk becomes available.

Will do. It is in great condition.

Will do. It is in great condition.

If you haven't sealed the deal you can still get a 2010 FJR1300 for $12,500 plus tax/reg in Osseo, MN at Heinens Motorsports.

If you haven't sealed the deal you can still get a 2010 FJR1300 for $12,500 plus tax/reg in Osseo, MN at Heinens Motorsports.
Well if I was not a busted up I would work that deal. However it would be 700 or so for a plane ticket and then road expenses to get back to PA.

It also would have make me break it in on the road, and get a 600 Service on the road. I would save money and have fun too, but I need to finish healing.

Also I would then be asking my local dealer to do warranty work. While I do not drink any Kool Aid whatsoever I do believe in fair. While I do expect any Yamaha Dealer to give me service and warranty work, the Dealer I spend my money with it the one I expect to advocate for me in any dealings I may have with Yamaha. I can not in good faith expect him to advocate when I bought the bike from someone else. I know not fair but my experiences over my life of being a consumer. I mean I will service the bike myself, so it will be hard enough come any warranty issue. But Pictures and a service journal are hard to argue with.

So I do thank you for the tip just not something that will work for me right now. I wish I could sit a bike, mine is ready, and I would need the 600 mile service long before Monday!

Still a heck of a price................... Is it ABS?

Most dealers will gladly take any warranty work regardless of whether the bike was purchased from them or not. Warranty work is revenue and times are tough out there. I've only seen them turn it away when they have a month back log.

600 mile service as in oil, filter and gear lube and would be minimal cost. I did mine myself for all of $50.

Just pick it up when you finish healing and yes it is ABS. As far as I know all 2010s are ABS.

Last edited by a moderator: