Pumpkining my '05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Plan B has turned into Plan A.

I dropped into my local Napa store and scored a 7/8" (22mm) Expansion plug.

ExpansionPlug.jpg

In terms of suitability this is almost perfect, The Dorman application notes indicates it is used to seal the main oil galley on a Pontiac GP which is a high temp high pressure environment. The Pumpkin is vented to atmosphere and the temperatures are much lower.

The "Almost Part", although the diameter is correct, it is way to long and the first thing it hits is the drive gear.

PlugOrginalFit.jpg

Modifications were effected through changing the bolt to a 1/2 " 5/8 SS carridge bolt and cutting the rubber block back using a dremel.

Plugnewbolt.jpg

PlugFinal.jpg

I was going to use a posi-lock nut but the friction of that nut was so great that the bolt was spinning.

Ended up reusing the old nut and applying Loctite Blue.

PumpkinPlugged.jpg

:yahoo:

Chris

Thank you Toynut, finally a useful suggestion.Chris

There were alot of useful suggestions Chris. In fact all of them were. You just disagreed with them. I would not use a rubber plug on my bike.
Gunny. Good luck with the project, got a feeling interest may have waned for some...... :unsure:

Why because I didn't want to coat my pumpkin with RTV?

Didn't mean to offend but the expansion plug is a much better solution.

Plan to mount the unit tomorrow

Chris

Why because I didn't want to coat my pumpkin with RTV?Didn't mean to offend but the expansion plug is a much better solution.

Chris
Perhaps you misunderstood my idea-a piece of aluminum plate cut to fit the profile of the sensor opening, held in place with the same bolt used to retain the sensor (probably the same size bolt thats is used to retain the ABS sensors) using rtv to serve as a gasket for the plate. Hell, use a phone book cover gasket for all I care (fixed many an on the road leak with those, when we still had phone booths). What kinda torqued me was the dismissal of many ideas from others as useless (the opposite of "useful"). Thats all.

Why because I didn't want to coat my pumpkin with RTV?Didn't mean to offend but the expansion plug is a much better solution.

Chris
Perhaps you misunderstood my idea-a piece of aluminum plate cut to fit the profile of the sensor opening, held in place with the same bolt used to retain the sensor (probably the same size bolt thats is used to retain the ABS sensors) using rtv to serve as a gasket for the plate. Hell, use a phone book cover gasket for all I care (fixed many an on the road leak with those, when we still had phone booths). What kinda torqued me was the dismissal of many ideas from others as useless (the opposite of "useful"). Thats all.
Sorry Rad I read my previous reply and it was a bit abrupt and could have be worded better.

I had seriously considered doing exactly what you had suggested but since I do have "free" (I pay in beer) access to a very good shop at work and the timing was pushing me not to test this before WFO I decided against a rush job.

Believe me the expansion plug is a much better solution.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm....if you would like a belt and suspenders kind of sugestion you could also put a bolt and washer in the original bolt hole next to the sensor opening so that the washer on the bolt overlaps the washer on the plug. Would help hold it in maybe. ...not that it needs it.... just random thoughts....coffee....need coffee......

Ray

...and another random thought.....I know you used the locktite but what would scare me more than loosing the plug completely is the idea of loosing that nut and have the bolt work it's way back to that drive gear....

Ray

...and another random thought.....I know you used the locktite but what would scare me more than loosing the plug completely is the idea of loosing that nut and have the bolt work it's way back to that drive gear....
Ray
I agree - I'd definitely use one of those self-locking plastic locking nuts if it was me.

Now mount that puppy so we can see if it works.

The ultimate solution will be to split the unit, tap that hole and install a bolt in the same fashion as the drain bolts.

I don't need to do that to test the fitting and I have never opened one but the service manual indicates that I may be replacing seals. Let's see if it works first.

The bike is now in the workshop for it's pre WFO tune up.

I'll have the backend off shortly for a new rear so here goes.

Chris

We have good news and bad news.

The good news : it fits, the shaft splines mate with the universal joint and the the pumpkin seats on to the wheel.

The bad news.

Pumpkin studs are 1/2 inch shorter on the Venture. They have to be changed as there is maybe 2 turns available for the nuts

Venture Studs

VentureStud.jpg

FJR Studs

FJRStud.jpg

There is a significant difference between the axel bushings between the units and to use the FJR bushing is going to require some machining.

Venture Gear and Bushing (Which is fixed)

VentureGear.jpg

FJR Gear and Bushing (Which is not fixed and projects out)

FjrGear.jpg

FJRGearandspacer.jpg

This one I think is a roadblock.

I'm thinking that opening up the units and swaping the ring and drive gears may be best path.

If I'm going to do that then I am going to look for a donor FJR assembly so the bike is still on the road, this could well be a winter project.

Chris

Couldn't a guy just buy a salvaged FJR unit, then R & P gears from U Motors, and build a second pumpkin?

And I had my hopes all up to hear about the new longer legs....

Good luck with the project, pioneer. See you in PC!

Try to get ahold of an 03 FJR wheel. The 03's use bigger wheel bearings and a shorter rear bushing. It may be the same length as the Venture's.

Keep up the suggestions please.

Should be good for a few beers at WFO.

Yes it sucks to be first

Chris

Chris -

You mentioned "I'm thinking that opening up the units and swaping the ring and drive gears may be best path." but then said it may be better as a winter project. How about if you open just the Venture unit and see how the gears are installed. My guess is that it'll confirm that you don't want to open the FJR pumpkin at this point. However, you'd lose nothing to see inside the Venture assy and may find that the gearset hsould be an easy transplant if the FJR is the same. Then it's just a quesiton of when to open an FR pumpkin and when.

Bob