Pumpkining my '05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris -You mentioned "I'm thinking that opening up the units and swaping the ring and drive gears may be best path." but then said it may be better as a winter project. How about if you open just the Venture unit and see how the gears are installed. My guess is that it'll confirm that you don't want to open the FJR pumpkin at this point. However, you'd lose nothing to see inside the Venture assy and may find that the gearset hsould be an easy transplant if the FJR is the same. Then it's just a quesiton of when to open an FR pumpkin and when.

Bob
This is interesting but not essential, I started this under the premise of a quick swap, which it's not.

I probably will have a peek into the venture unit but WFO is very close followed by CFR and EOM.

The season this far north can be quite short, I have stopped riding some years in Oct, last year it was December (Yeh for global warming), So maximizing road time is my top priority now.

Chris

Hopefully [email protected] will realize that FJR owners want Venture gearing not VMax gearing. We already have the 3.66 ratio and are in pursuit of the 3.33 ratio of the Venture.

I'd like to know too.

I think "bug" got sent to his room for a week. :unsure: Hopefully he'll "git-r-done" and post up.

:jester:

I'd like to know too.
I think "bug" got sent to his room for a week. :unsure: Hopefully he'll "git-r-done" and post up.

:jester:
He's back...saw a post today :)
See post 60#, I'm out riding making the most of the weather and don't want to not be messing with the bike at this time.

I'll be getting back to this after EOM.

Chris

Hey Chris, Its tough being a pioneer, especially in this..uuum...esteemed and opinionated arena, but many of us, at least most of my personalities anyway, very much appreciate your sharing ! Thank You and Good on Ya !

Blessings,

Bobby

Hopefully [email protected] will realize that FJR owners want Venture gearing not VMax gearing. We already have the 3.66 ratio and are in pursuit of the 3.33 ratio of the Venture.
With my Vmax, I have done business with John several times. He is an inovative & resourceful supplier and may well be able to come up with the gear ratio you want. His price & delivery has always been good.

Pardon the old thread dredge-up, but..... :rolleyes:

Just wondering. I remember following this thread with considerable interest, waiting to see how it turned out for the BugR, hoping it would fly, etc.

And, nothing.

Anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the "new" pumpkin work on a darksider tyre? Now me interest is peaked..... :huh:

Will the "new" pumpkin work on a darksider tyre? Now me interest is peaked..... :huh:

If you mash it up into a cream and rub it all over the tyre...it should perform better. If you heat up the tyre with that pumpkin jazz, it is real tasty...so yes, it does work.

Last I saw it 2 plus years ago it was up on a work table.. I think he'd given up..

I know it flopped of that table and busted up some parts... :(

Just caught this thread, Yeah, I thought I was going to see an orange FJR too. :(

Anyway it seems like a worthwhile project especially for LD riders. I can imagine doing +170 on an FJR. Maybe FredW will be along with the calculations of top speed with this ratio. ;) The studs may be an issue to get out. Generally they are what's called

interference threads. You would also have to pull the shaft before making an attempt to get the studs out. That needs to be done before anything else can go forward. As far as the bushing length goes with a few measurements it should be an easy fix. Take some off the FJR bushing and you should be o.k. to go.

If you don't like the change it is an easy swap to go back to the original drive unit less buying one new bushing. cheap money for sure. I would really like to see this go forward. How many other folks would do this I wonder?

Dave