Purchasing 2006 In Ca

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend buy an end of year new '04 BMW 1200RS from New York last year and no problem with California DMV....registered as a new bike...but maybe it qualified under the emissions rules...not sure.
All Beemers are 50 state legal, that is why you had no problem. Ca requires:

1- Any bike brought in from out of state to have 7500+ miles and previously and registered in another state.

You can bring another bike in with less miles under the following condidions:

1-Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.

2-Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.

3-Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.

4-Were on active military duty outside of CA, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

You will need to provide all documentation of the above to get it by DMV.

If you are moving to CA you can register your vehicle regardless of the mileage as long as you provide the out-of-state title and registration and also prove you were a resident of the other state. You willl also have to pay Ca sales tax minus any sales tax you paid in your state.

Hope this helps.

South Bay Motorsports in National City will give you a great deal. They saved me $1200 on my 05. Rented a car 1-way, drove down and picked it up, then broke it in on Hwy 1 coming home. Save money and make it a mini-vacation. :)

South Bay Motorsports in National City will give you a great deal.  They saved me $1200 on my 05.  Rented a car 1-way, drove down and picked it up, then broke it in on Hwy 1 coming home.  Save money and make it a mini-vacation.  :)
South Bay is a great place and only 5 minutes from me....SO when they get Red, I will most likely go see Ted (at Southbay Motorsports)! Got my 2004 FJR from them and highly recommend them for purchase.

As far as all those other rules for out of state purchases...sounds like we need a Philadelphia lawyer to stay up with all the rules and regs we have in this state :dribble:

South Bay Motorsports in National City will give you a great deal.  They saved me $1200 on my 05.  Rented a car 1-way, drove down and picked it up, then broke it in on Hwy 1 coming home.  Save money and make it a mini-vacation.  :)
I don't remember your story on what happened on the way back up the 1. Can you elaborate or lead me to a thread? I did that route a couple months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I want to head farther up past Frisco one of these years.

After considerable thought, I would feel much better working with my local dealer which is in Concord, Ca. because of any servicing needed. I just wouldn't feel right bringing in my new FJR for the services at another dealer unless I was out on the road. I checked with them and the out the door price is just a tad over 15 grand. That is tax, license, set-up, and freight. Any thoughts on this? Painman. :agent:

Its your money and will be your bike. WHat do you care what anyone else thinks? If you are comfortable with your decision, go with it. You'll always find someone who got a better deal, had a better plan, etc. Why go through the exasperation ot listening to anyone else tell you what you should have done?

If you've decided where your comfort level is and you are happy with the deal you've struck, then go for it. It sounds like you are going to have them service the bike, while others here do all their own work, so all compatisons will be apples and oranges. Others wouldn't make the same decision, but these are your circumstances and you have to live in your own skin.

Get your bike and let's ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey MadMike, I hear what your saying. I'm looking forward to getting the new bike if everything works out. I'm just a little hesitant about the maintainence because I've got some medical issues and just not familiar with the bike. But because you said alot of the riders here do their own maintainence I started to check out some other parts of the site here and found the maintainence links and think I could do some of these. I'm just getting to know the ins and outs of all this. Ive got some mechanical background so maybe I can get into working on the bike if and when I get it. Thanks for the advice. Painman. :cownoy:

The basic maintenance is a snap. Oil and filter changes require no pulling of fairing pieces (like the Connie). The tank tilts up in about 5 minutes for throttle body synch's. Really, this bike is easier to work on than my old XS1100F, and way easier than the Connie. Plus, there are 2 or 3 sources for parts and supplies that are very reasonable and UPS to your door.

Catiadan - there was nothing too exciting to report. We spend a day visiting the new Calif. side of Disneyland on the way north. The following morning we rode up Highway 1 northbound catching it in Santa Monica. Our goal was to make it home to Sacramento. It was a spectacular ride but it is definitely not the short route. We rode, and we rode, and we rode some more. 10 hours later our untrained butts couldn't take it any more so we stayed the night in the bay area. The next day we slabbed it taking the shortest, and fastest route. Let's just say the FJR broke in much better than I did.

It has been a little over a year now and we have accumulated 17,000 + miles. We still have the stock seat (with sheepskin), handle bars and windshield and are quite comfortable with them. 500 mile days are a piece of cake now. I am now well broken in -- however, I reportedly walk with a permanent limp, have gnarly wrists and wear a permanent grin on my face. :)

Thanks for the ride report Ric. I misread your earlier post and thought you had "broke" it on the way up north, not "broke it in" like you stated. :lol: I just need to learn to read better! Maybe time to upgrade the reading glasses.

Dan

You mentioned Ted at South Bay..... Funny, I bought my slightly used 1984 fj 1100 from him back in 1989 for $2,800. It had 14,000 miles on it. He is a good guy and won't mess with you.

I bought my '05 abs from Bob Gregor at LA Yamaha at $500 below sticker (then add tax). It was the best deal going at the time. Now if only we can figure out a good way to get a D&H price in So Cal. Maybe just buy it and throw my '05 plates on it.... B)

I want to repeat what others have said: it can be A Very Bad Idea to get a non-CA-legal bike out of state and try to bring it in under the radar. I know *another* rider (not the lawyer) who got "hit" this way... Possibly because he talked about it online and somebody who had an axe to grind dropped a dime on him. When they catch you, they revoke your registration and give you a special permit for the vehicle that's good for one trip: taking it out of the state, never to return.

Bottom line: buy any bike you want that has over 7500 miles on it, or else buy a CA bike. If an out-of-state dealer offers you a deal on a CA-legal bike, make sure you can see under the passenger seat before you buy; that's where the certification sticker is.

FWIW, I believe that the Qunicy, CA dealer and the L.A. Motorsports people are the same. Also, as of yesterday, there was a '05 sitting on the floor of Kolbe Yamaha in Woodland Hills, CA. I do not know the status (new, used, ABS or not, etc.).

FWIW, I believe that the Qunicy, CA dealer and the L.A. Motorsports people are the same. Also, as of yesterday, there was a '05 sitting on the floor of Kolbe Yamaha in Woodland Hills, CA. I do not know the status (new, used, ABS or not, etc.).
Soooo, getting the estimate or have repairs begun?

My experience in buying my bike -- 2005 ABS (with a story or two):

I read about the Feejer when I discovered that someone other than BMW made a sport-touring bike. I had salivated over the old R90RS for many years but never bit the bullet. Then I drooled over the R1150 RT models for months, and even saw a used model for sale in Sacramento from a private owner....but I passed.

Something about it was not quite right (it wasn't a Yamaha !)

I kept hoping and reading. I even kinda looked at a Concourse. Kinda.

Then I saw the Honda on some site somewhere .... was quite surprised that the Japanese had done Beemer, yet it made sense. then I decided to check the Yamaha page, and there she was ! I gobbled up all the reports and reviews I could find, then called the dealer in Concord the next day. (This was in late May).

Concord said "all gone."

Found another Bay area dealer in Hayward --- East Bay Motorsports, open on a Monday of all things. Called and talked to Russ. He said they sold out but were getting four more that week, maybe one that day. He tried to persuade me to come down there and give them $500 for a deposit. Shit, I'm not stupid enought to think that if I gave out $500, I could back out of the purchase. I told him that I was serious about getting the bike.

I went down there, filled out papers, qualified for the best factory finance rate, went home for my boots and jeans, then returned to the dealer on the train to buy the bike.

The worst part was the sales pitch from the finance dude about the extended warranty from Western Fuckemup. I went for five years of ignorance. I read about the YES program on this site and returned to sanity.

(I have since cancelled the Western Fuckemup and will get a major refund. The dealership staff were quite ignorant of the procedure to cancel it and I had to make four phone calls to get it done, despite sending two identical letters to their office stating my desire to cancel it. I was almost ready to go to the dealership in person with my steel toe boots and practice front snap kicks to the groin and shoulder dislocations, but hopefully I won't need to do that.)

Russ told me that the setup fee was about a grand due to the extensive labor to install the fairing and such ... and the shipping from some warehouse near Sacramento was another grand. What can I say, I wanted the bike, and I bought it.

One of the shop guys in Concord told me how bad the Western Fuckemup contract was, that they no longer sold it or honored it. That fact, plus the feedback about the YES program that I read here, motivated me to do the cancellation. Shit, man, that refund would pay for major farkling !

The feeling that I got from the Concord dude made me want to remember them for future business.

The ad in the local paper for a dealership in San Mateo with very reduced OTD prices on 2005 models (granted, this was in September) made me remember them as well.

The Hayward folks, well, they sure get a lot of watercraft and bike business. But probably not mine again.

All in all, a slightly used model at the end of the first season might be the best value. But heck, at the end of the season ?

BTW, I don't ride my 2005 as much as I hoped. The bay bridge traffic is crazy even though the commute is only 25 miles from home. I hate splitting lanes and the time savings is nonexistent versus the BART train. Of course, I miss the various fresh air benefits .......

but when I get to ride it, man what a ride !!!

The best quote I have got in Southern Ca is $14810 OTD for the 06 1300A. Any one know where to get a better deal?

"The best quote I have got in Southern Ca is $14810 OTD for the 06 1300A. Any one know where to get a better deal? "

Who gave you this quote, if I might ask ?

Do they have a website ?

While on tour last summer, I had good service from Merced Honda/Yamaha. I spent a half hour talking to their sales guys and they said they regularly get bay area folks shopping there to save money.

- Mark

How much do you save on an out of state purchase? It has to be a bunch before it motivates my lazy ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much do you save on an out of state purchase? It has to be a bunch before it motivates my lazy ass.
Your ass may remain lazy as California has made it all but impossible to buy new out of state vehicles and reg 'em here.