Question about Cee Bailey windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry J

Reaction score
08fjr09-vi.jpg

I added a Yamaha touring windshield to my FJR shortly after I bought it because the sport shield was just way too small. The touring shield has been okay, but I still get a lot of noise and buffet even when it's full up. I was looking at a Cee Bailey +4/+2. My question is this: Is +4 based on the touring windshield or the sport windshield? I'd like more coverage.

I'm not boy racer. I use the bike for running to work, Sunday tours, and occasional overnighters. Almost all of it is highway time. I was hoping that the CB contour windshield would eliminate some of the noise. I'm 6'-2" tall, and the touring shield just isn't quite tall enough.

With all the snow, I've been adding some farkles--frame sliders, Tankslappers, and maybe a J&B CB. And a windshield if I can get the right one.

Thanks.

Terry J

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the CB 4+2 light gray with the flip (I'm 6'2") and it works very well for me.

DSCI0169.jpg

I have the C/B 4+ 4+ flip and it's great for most of the year here in on wet side of Washington. I will be putting on the stock one for July and Auguest. I'm 6'3" and my head is still above the top of the shield.

I have the CB 4+2 light gray with the flip (I'm 6'2") and it works very well for me.
I also have a CB +4+2 light gray w/ a flip and although I'm only 5'11", I do sit on a phone book and the CB works MUCH better than any stock shield. I think the gray tint is the real key to it's effectiveness.

just trade it in for a gold wing,problem solved
I think the Goldwing upgrade fee will be just a little bit higher than buying a new shield. :rolleyes:

I hated the stock shield due to the horrible turbulence. My Cee Bailey +2 high with flip shield works great for my 5'11" 32" inseam body.

6'0 and the CB +4/+2 is way more effective for me than the Yama touring shield. The +4 is in comparison to the stocker, not the touring (so it's the same height as the touring shield). But the flip makes a big difference. I look over the shield in the full-up position and get a little bit of wind noise from the helmet vents, but calm air in my face with the visor up. No buffeting or back pressure. I mostly hear the engine with the wind shield up.

With your height you may want to go one size up, depending how much wind protection you want. And I agree, light gray is more effective than any of the other colors.

No easy answer on this one my friend. Mostly trial and error with windshields. At 6' with a long torso somewhat akin to a sea worm, I went with a Cee Bailey's +6 +6 (from stock - not touring) to hide behind the wind.

Didn't work - I still got buffeting, and then I got microwaved during the summer.

I did a 180 and went with the shorteest Cee Bailey's available and found that clean air is good air.

Good luck,

Murph

I added a Yamaha touring windshield to my FJR shortly after I bought it because the sport shield was just way too small. The touring shield has been okay, but I still get a lot of noise and buffet even when it's full up. I was looking at a Cee Bailey +4/+2. My question is this: Is +4 based on the touring windshield or the sport windshield? I'd like more coverage.
I just bought a Cee Bailey +6/+4 and the +6 was 6.5 inches longer/taller than the OEM (which I think you are calling the sport) windshield. When in the low position, the Cee Bailey +6 is about 3" higher and 3" closer to the rider, about the same height as the OEM windshield in the full up position. I bought mine for cold weather riding and will probably have it about 2/3 to 3/4 of the full up position for normal (cold weather) riding.

From the CeeBaileys website on the Gen II page:

Standard OEM windshield19" high measured along the centerline of windshield (Click Here)

18" wide above the OEM wing joggles (Click Here)

This style windshield follows the same contour as the stock Yamaha shield, and is available up to -3" shorter than the stock Yamaha, and up to +6" taller than the stock Yamaha shield. It also can be ordered up to +6" wider than the stock shield.

And, for Gen I:

Pre-2004 - Standard OEM 15" height x 18" width2004 - 2005 - Standard OEM 17" height x 19" width

Width is measured at approximately 10" up from the middle screw hole on the windshield.

This style windshield follows the same contour as the stock Yamaha shield, and is available up to 2" shorter than the stock Yamaha, and up to 7" taller than the stock Yamaha shield. It also can be ordered up to 4" wider than the stock shield.
I've spent hundreds of dollars searching for the "perfect" windshield. The closest I came was with a CalSci...great for the Winter but it blocks too much air in the Summer temperatures in Central CA (100+ degrees for says and days...) I returned to Cee Bailey and added one dimension to a semi-acceptable solution from them:

I'm 6'2"x32" inseam. I have a Gen I with a CeeBailey +4+2 and I still had some head/wind buffet issues. I added a little adjustable deflector: MRA VarioTouring Extension Spoiler and that has solved my problems. I can raise things enough to get a still pocket and still lower the windshiled and spoiler enough to get air on my faceshield.

Here's a picture looking through it toward the Antioch Bridge in NorCal:

Jan3rdRide035.jpg

Here's a side view though it's a bit far away behind Ric in Sac and Karen:

Tires-Chocoholic015.jpg

Looking through the cockpit at Bluestreek:

NorCalHwy36to96019.jpg

Good luck finding your "Windshield Nirvanna"!

I have no experence with the CB on the FJR, Had one on me Valkyrie. Have you looked at the VStream shield. www.nationalcycle.com

I owe it to Cee Bailey to give them a big :thumbsup: on their products.

The "+4" means 4" wider than the stock shield, as measured at the top of the stock shield. So a CB +4w has basically straight lines on the sides, running from bottom to top when compared to stock.

No easy answer on this one my friend. Mostly trial and error with windshields. At 6' with a long torso somewhat akin to a sea worm, I went with a Cee Bailey's +6 +6 (from stock - not touring) to hide behind the wind.
Didn't work - I still got buffeting, and then I got microwaved during the summer.

I did a 180 and went with the shorteest Cee Bailey's available and found that clean air is good air.

Good luck,

Murph
Did your Cee Bailey shield have the flip? I'm asking because so far most people with the flip really like the shield, but without the flip (standard contour) there's still complaints of buffeting. My CB shield is only 2 inches higher, but has the flip and it dramatically reduces buffeting.

Harald,

How wide is your C/B with the flip. I have the same dimensions as you. I had a +4wide +2tall w/flip for a while but it was too big. Maybe the width was the problem.

Do you have a picture of your shield on the bike?

Hey TerryJ, I have a CB 3+3 or 4+4(can't remember which) on my 06,and just ordered a V Stream for the ride to Daytona. It is 2 years old(a few nicks etc. ,nothing major), and it will be going up for sale for 50.00 + s&h if you are interested. CB is a great windsheild, but the money was burning a hole in my pocket,so I decided to try something new. PM me if interested

Harald,
How wide is your C/B with the flip. I have the same dimensions as you. I had a +4wide +2tall w/flip for a while but it was too big. Maybe the width was the problem.

Do you have a picture of your shield on the bike?
My CB is stock width. I don't have a good picture handy, but will take one later this week when my insanely busy schedule will allow time. In the mean time, just visualize the stock shield profile except add 2 inches in height and that reverse contour flip or search this forum (I know someone had posted a really good comparison a while back).