Question about FJR1300AE .. Now Want a Standard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jrs, Stop farting around looking at Gen1's. Do the right thing and go ahead and get a Gen2! You won't regret it! :yahoo:
This should liven things up.

majicmaker...I hope you are wearing your flame suit. :lol:
In the Navy, no matter what your job was, everybody got trained in Fire Fighting and had to suit up in those God Aweful suits. While everybody else was throwing up, I was the only one in my group that was quite comfortable in it! :assassin:

I just bought a new 09 AE and the dealer is still uncrating and setting it up. A riding buddy has had his 07 AE since new and loves it. On his recommendation, and in view of the amazingly low price, I bought it and am going use it for touring replacing a Harley. The HD goes under the knife now to become an around-town cafe racer.

I had an '06 AE and I liked it quite well. I traded it in 2010, and now a few bikes later, I have just bought one of the leftover '09 AEs.

I've never re-bought a model that I'd previously traded or sold before, so I guess that says something about my affection for the FJR13AE. The paddle shifter is really great for heavy traffic, and its also great if you've got an unreliable gimpy left foot. I'd avoided foot issues for the past 3.5 years, but now they're back, and I wish I'd kept my '06 AE. The next best thing is to buy a new one. I sure wish they were continuing to import them into the US.

I don't mind going back and forth between clutched bikes and an AE when my foot and hand are up to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I commute on a 2006AE. I used to commute on Harley Dyna. I now can barely remember what 'clutch cramps' were! I haven't ridden a clutched FJR but simply A vs. AE isn't an issue for me. I'm not old, don't have arthritis, don't have metal pieces in my hand, etc. I simply found an AE for a ridiculously good price and haven't looked back. I'm probably biased toward the FJR from simply doubling my HP and dropping CCs from the HD!

For me the pros outweigh the cons. I'm not a track guys and don't pop wheelies, but if I was that type of rider I would probably be riding a different bike... Control in slow corners is a little more of an effort.

Oh, and don't forget to turn the handgrip shifter back 'on' after gassing up. Nothing more embarrassing that ripping away from the pump and shifting from 1st....to 1st! The AE men know what I mean.

The handgrip shifter is like crack. Immediately addictive. It does take a couple of days to smooth out though. I go on group rides and everyone always wants to ride my bike. It probably isn't an AE thing but that certainly doesn't hurt.

Ultimately: If I had a choice between an A and AE at the same price I'd have to flip a coin...as long it was a Gen II. :p

What price should I target for a leftover '09 AE model before fees? I'm in the market...
New? $9,000. Not a penny more. It's a buyers market right now. With the '13's out now. Maybe less. :)
If you could PM me with a good dealer to work with I'm a cash buyer ready. I don't mind having it shipped either.
I got mine locally new but, there have been a few members that found leftover new '09's online. Maybe some of them can chime in and lead you in the right direction. I'd go ahead and try googling "FJR '09AE leftovers new for sale" that will probably get you started in the right direction. Or look back on this thread and PM the members that said they did the same thing. They are out there my friend! I really want one of those but, I'm still in love with my '06. :) Good Luck! The '09AE is the best of them all. One day, I'll have one! :rolleyes:

Oh, and don't forget to turn the handgrip shifter back 'on' after gassing up. Nothing more embarrassing that ripping away from the pump and shifting from 1st....to 1st! The AE men know what I mean.
One of the first things I did with my 07 AE was to rig it so that the hand shift turns on automatically every time I start the engine. I've seen what you're referring to, but I've never experienced it. About a second after the engine starts, the green light turns on to let me know that the hand shift is enabled.

One of the first things I did with my 07 AE was to rig it so that the hand shift turns on automatically every time I start the engine. I've seen what you're referring to, but I've never experienced it. About a second after the engine starts, the green light turns on to let me know that the hand shift is enabled.
Done that to mine (as part of my heated vest controller).

I wonder if the '13 still needs the button press to enable the finger flicker?

Last edited by a moderator:

Here in the US of A...we will never know...until you tell us.

Here in the US of A...we will never know...until you tell us.
I wonder how many AS's have arrived in the UK. This is a great project for you Mc. Go hunt one down and report back to the hungry masses in the US. :clapping:

I wonder how many AS's have arrived in the UK. This is a great project for you Mc. Go hunt one down and report back to the hungry masses in the US. :clapping:
As far as I am aware, there are none in showrooms in the UK, A or AS, at the moment.

The best information I have is December for the A, something like April for the AS. (Gives me a few months to work on SWMBO.)

The A is likely to be priced around £12900 (about $20499 today), that's out of the dealer, all taxes paid, two year Yamaha warranty, 600 mile service labour included, historically bags (but no liners
mad.gif
).

I'd expect the AS to be priced another £1500 ($2379) more.

Hope to know more after the Birmingham Motorcycle Show at the end of this month.

As far as I am aware, there are none in showrooms in the UK, A or AS, at the moment.

The best information I have is December for the A, something like April for the AS. (Gives me a few months to work on SWMBO.)

The A is likely to be priced around £12900 (about $20499 today), that's out of the dealer, all taxes paid, two year Yamaha warranty, 600 mile service labour included, historically bags (but no liners
mad.gif
).

I'd expect the AS to be priced another £1500 ($2379) more.

Hope to know more after the Birmingham Motorcycle Show at the end of this month.
Excellent Info Mc! You have now been annointed our man on the street in the UK! The Crown will be arriving Shortly! :lol: