Question about Helibar triple clamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyRider2

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the Helibar triple clamp for my 08 FJR. Question to those who have taken this step - Does this actually reduce the vibration in the bars? I need to move the bars back so I can sit more upright but question spending 500.00 (product plus installation) to do just that. Any help greatly appreciated...

I had the Heli installed by the dealer before I picked-up my '09 so I can't compare the vibrations. But it would seem the greater mass of the Heli would damp-out some vibes. Heavier bar-ends probably work better.

The Heli top clamp does bring the bars back and up as advertised. It's a beatifully machined piece of aluminum, too.

pete

Certainly did help with my comfort, because of my short arms, but my bike has never had the vibrations that some people talk about. . .

My understanding is that drilling is required to install this part. I am a pure klutz in all things mechanical. We also sail and my motto has become drill once and buy a new boat...

My understanding is that drilling is required to install this part. I am a pure klutz in all things mechanical. We also sail and my motto has become drill once and buy a new boat...
The drilling required, is to remove the security bolts from the ignition switch. With a center punch and new sharp drill, the heads drill off easily. Understand your reluctance to undertake the project though. If you're interested in saving a couple $$$, find a local FJR rider who has done the install and buy him a 12 pack. Works every time!

Have fun.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
The drilling required, is to remove the security bolts from the ignition switch. With a center punch and new sharp drill, the heads drill off easily. Understand your reluctance to undertake the project though. If you're interested in saving a couple $$$, find a local FJR rider who has done the install and buy him a 12 pack. Works every time!

Have fun.

--G
I installed my Heli Bar triple clamp today. A great product with excellent instruction although I would recommend a fair mechanical knack before tackling this project. Or the best idea, find a fellow FJR owner who has done it and buy the beer!! As for vibration, I can't say mine had that much to start with plus i have added heavy bar ends and grip puppies this winter. After today's install I took a short test ride, short because it was 39 degrees with 30 mph winds, and really appreciate the more upright position. I believe I had read on the forum about sycronizing the fuel system to allievate annoying vibes. Maybe someone more familar with that will post.

FNG,

I installed the Heli Triple Clamp and the Heli Risers, I noticed no difference in vibration.

BUT the riding position puts you much more upright, less weight on the hands, less numbness. It's the best upgrade I have done besides the AudioVox Cruise Control.

The install isn't crazy hard but it's not dumbass simple either, I agree with the others. Find a FJR member near you whose done it and unless they are a teetotaler a supply of beer will get you installed for much less. Plus you will have the peace of mind of seeing it done right.

The Helibar Triple Clamp did much to improve the pain I was getting between my shoulderblades by improving my riding position. There was also an improvement in the amount of vibration I was getting at 4000 rpm but that may be attributed to a number of mods I did at the time (TBS, heavier bar ends, PC III, triple clamp).

This may sound funny but I may have stumbled onto something you might want to try before spending a lot of money on the triple clamp.

I have an '08 AE that was bothering me with vibration at 4k. I have a PCV with auto tune and had done a throttle sync. also Throttlemeister heavy bar ends. These helped some but the single biggest improvement I have gotten so far was to switch to 20W-50 Mobil-1 V-Twin oil. I have always used the 10W-40 Mobil-1 motorcycle oil. I live in Arizona and ride in +100 deg weather often so when I learned Yamaha is recommending 20W-50 in the new FJR I tried it. Like I said the whole engine seems quieter. I think the heavier oil must dampen internal vibrations better. The vibration in the bars has been reduced to the point where its not an issue for me. I am sold on this oil. Hope this helps. Its a lot cheaper than a triple clamp.

I too didn't really notice a difference in vibration by installing the Helibar, but I will say this my 06 fjr virbrated like crazy even after multiple sync's. Each sync made it a little better, but my 09 is as smooth as can be, so there has to be something that a proper sync will do to bring down the vibration.

I installed mine the directions are fairly simple you will have to reroute the cables and take the tank off if you lived in my region I would be happy to do it for abottle of Crown Royal. I think once you have them installed you will love them as I do much more comfortable riding position and I have long arms.As for vibration reduction I can't say.I don't think the bike has that much of a vibration problem.If you get them for that you might be disapointed.

I have had mine for a couple of years now. It did very little to help with the neck pain between shoulder blades or weight on the hands/wrist area.

Save your money.....until a product comes out that truly raises the bars a couple of more inches. Although, I think the main limitation is in the length of the cables and the brake line.

First farkle years ago. A more upright riding position was a must to ride the FJR long distance. Vibration has never been an issue.

This may sound funny but I may have stumbled onto something you might want to try before spending a lot of money on the triple clamp.

I have an '08 AE that was bothering me with vibration at 4k. I have a PCV with auto tune and had done a throttle sync. also Throttlemeister heavy bar ends. These helped some but the single biggest improvement I have gotten so far was to switch to 20W-50 Mobil-1 V-Twin oil. I have always used the 10W-40 Mobil-1 motorcycle oil. I live in Arizona and ride in +100 deg weather often so when I learned Yamaha is recommending 20W-50 in the new FJR I tried it. Like I said the whole engine seems quieter. I think the heavier oil must dampen internal vibrations better. The vibration in the bars has been reduced to the point where its not an issue for me. I am sold on this oil. Hope this helps. Its a lot cheaper than a triple clamp.
I don't understand why anyone would think that a different triple clamp would reduce vibes. Maybe I'm not getting the idea here. I am interested in this 20w-50 oil though. My 08 starts the high pitch vibes at around 4k also. Smooths out a little after that them kicks in again around 6 or 7k. I have a case of the 20w-50 I was going to run through my Vmax, but I may have to try it on the next change on the FJR and see what happens.

GP

I have an 07 with HeliRiser. I added Vibranator bar ends and Johar Superbike grips. No vibration and comfort like I have never before enjoyed. Make sure your TBS is done correctly.