Question about Helibar triple clamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It made my ride more comfortable. I can't say much about the vibration as I never had a big problem with it in the first place. The pain between my shoulder blades was greatly reduced and generally just a more comfortable position. I would do it again without question.

This may sound funny but I may have stumbled onto something you might want to try before spending a lot of money on the triple clamp.

I have an '08 AE that was bothering me with vibration at 4k. I have a PCV with auto tune and had done a throttle sync. also Throttlemeister heavy bar ends. These helped some but the single biggest improvement I have gotten so far was to switch to 20W-50 Mobil-1 V-Twin oil. I have always used the 10W-40 Mobil-1 motorcycle oil. I live in Arizona and ride in +100 deg weather often so when I learned Yamaha is recommending 20W-50 in the new FJR I tried it. Like I said the whole engine seems quieter. I think the heavier oil must dampen internal vibrations better. The vibration in the bars has been reduced to the point where its not an issue for me. I am sold on this oil. Hope this helps. Its a lot cheaper than a triple clamp.
I don't understand why anyone would think that a different triple clamp would reduce vibes. Maybe I'm not getting the idea here. I am interested in this 20w-50 oil though. My 08 starts the high pitch vibes at around 4k also. Smooths out a little after that them kicks in again around 6 or 7k. I have a case of the 20w-50 I was going to run through my Vmax, but I may have to try it on the next change on the FJR and see what happens.

GP
I do understand the "less vibes" thing with a new triple clamp. First and foremost it is one piece of solid metal that makes the original triple clam look like a twig!

It is really 3-4 times more metal and it really more substantial than the factory triple tree. It also has more clamping force as it has extra pinch bolts. Mass alone would dampen some vibration and the extra clamping area has to help in making the forks more stable or ridge. I know it is not intended for vibration but I do think it does help in that respect.

On the oil here in PA I use 10w-40 in Winter and 20w-50 in summer. Need to keep the viscosity lower in winter for start up protection. Also my Road Glide that was 100/100 on the dyno used strait 60W. The high compression, and aggressive cam lift made it very noisy on 20-50w oil. I used Amsoil strait 60w and it was very quiet and kept it cool. Lowered operating temps by 13 degrees with a heat temp gun doing the before and after.

I can say the intended purpose of the triple tree is comfort and for me it was night and day. They work for that and anything else is just bonus.

So if you want one go for it.

I went with foam grips for vib reduction and it works great. I put regular risers on and it was way less money and the ergos work for me.