Question about Trains and Motorcycle travel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
Jim and I are planning a trip next summer to Montana. We only have two weeks to play with. I really want to bike the whole trip, but then I was thinking of the option of perhaps putting the bikes (and us) on a train for the boring, flat part of the ride and then saving our tires for the fun part. The train trip I was thinking about would be something like Chicago to Denver as an example. I called Amtrak but they only provide transportation for passengers; no freight.

I came up with the thought of the train because at the EOM, there was a man from Miami who traveled from Miami to Virginia (I think) with the train.

I'm looking for something like a land ferry I guess.

Does anyone have any information on this? Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

-Iris (HERFJR)

Thank you so much. I didn't see this on their website and when I called, the woman on the phone said, "we don't have trains that carry automobiles." :angry:

Wow....I'm glad I asked here. I'm now very stunned at her reply.

Thanks again.

Well, looking again at the AMTRAK website, I see that

"The Auto Train travels nonstop between Lorton, Virginia (near Washington, DC) and Sanford, Florida (near Orlando, Florida). The Auto Train is the only route in the Amtrak system that transports vehicles."

This won't do. I need to find one going West. I'll keep looing.

Geeze, why don't all trains have Auto Train? I think it's a great idea.

A train would be a great idea. But I very much doubt you will find anything. Since your original suggestion was to avoid riding the "flat boring bits" maybe a different suggestion is in order.

Have you considered towing the bikes out. If you have a tow vehicle and trailer you could tow the bikes and do a non-stop run for 24-hours or so (one drives the other sleeps) when you get there find a storage unit and just pay the couple hundred bucks to park the whole thing in some inside storage somewhere. My Dad and I have considered this when we have considered some longer trips. Plus if, god forbid, you have serious bike troubles you've got a way to get the bikes home. Just send the person on the still running bike to go get the tow-rig.

Dont have a tow rig? Then consider renting a big Ryder Cube Van. Just big enough to load both bikes. Do a 24-hour run to get to the area. Return the van and enjoy the two weeks. At the end of the trip do the same.

Either of these options certainly wouldn't cost anymore (and probably less now than I think about it) than a couple train tickets. Provided of course you could actually find a train going your way.

Another option is Air Freight. Might require a bit of planning but you could airfreight your bikes in a couple days ahead and then you could fly in and just ride away. Would require some logistical planning on your part.

Or even if you can do without your bikes for a week before and after the trip there are lots of trucking companies around that specialize in moving custom cars and bikes. They used enclosed trailers and are well ensured. Maybe just send the bikes ahead via some other method and then take the train/plane/bus/teleporter to go pick up the bikes.

Just some thoughts...

Colin

How about some train-- wheels and ride the rail behind a freight train. Just think of the counthry you would see, now thats an idea. :haha: :haha: :haha:

weekend rider

I'll ride the flat boring parts for ya - just to be helpful. As long as I can take 2-laners and choose the route. I'm used to that kind of riding and DON'T mind at all. You gotta take what you can get in corn country...

...sorry - not being very helpful I know. Hope you find something that works for you.

Trailering seems to be the only option that I would know besides ironbutting it out there.

I feel your frustration as I think that auto trains would be great in other areas - not just up and down the east coast...

There certainly are transport companies that can move your bikes for you. Then you can travel to the drop off point any way you want. I think people do this in and around Sturgis all the time.

I think by the time you finish, you'll find that you can cover a lot of ground from Chicago and back in two weeks, even if you ride the entire trip. Go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to bike the whole trip, but then I was thinking of the option of perhaps putting the bikes (and us) on a train for the boring, flat part of the ride and then saving our tires for the fun part.
Boring? On an FJR? Nah... Did you know there is an actual mountain in North Dakota? The Geographical Center of North America is in Rugby. Pikes Peak in Marquette Iowa. The Great River Road. The Lincoln Highway. Besides, the mighty FJR was made to roam the world, not on a trailer or in a train, but roaming the byways of our great country, flat or curvy, high and low. There is so much to see out there and so little time to see it. Roaming Fly-Over country can be very enlightening and entertaining. Ever been to Pioneer Village in Minden Nebraska - Awesome!

Any old Federal Highway - designated by the shield and many still two laners passing through farmtowns, rivertowns, etc., can reveal things not known by most people. You are correct about traveling the flatlands, if done via the interstate system, but there is much to see and learn off the beaten path.

Here's a place to start: American Byways - Region 3

OTOH, there certainly is a lot to see in MT. Must see/rides would be Glacier Park, Bear Tooth Pass (now open from what I hear) and a swing over into Idaho for a trip on Lolo Pass will provide great memories.

Just hall ass through the boring stuff. once you get to South Dakota,or Nebraska. you can haul the mail ,and you'll be in the hills before you know it.

You know, I feel like I'm in hog heaven. They raised the interstate speeds in Indiana to 70, which I (and a whole lot of others, mostly cages) interpret as 77 minmum. 90+ when opportunity presents itself. And the state highways are moving up to 60. You wouldn't think 5 mph would make that much difference, but it does. And the FJR is FUN to ride that fast. I've found riding the interstate in the midwest to actually be kind of fun. I hate to say it, but with my XM radio cranked into my brain, I just get up and go. And the miles just melt away.

I have the same trepedation about the boring flatlands. I think if I were going out west, like going to WFO, I'd blast through the boring part (Kansas...ugh!) to the foothills of the Rockies ASAP on the interstate. I could do that in one very long day. After that, it would be bliss. And that way, the flatlands probably would be a challenge. Heck, might even try to make it a 1K in a day ride. It wouldn't be that hard on a Feejer. It's a means to an end. And FJR means Fucking Joy Ride.

Having said that, bvail has some great ideas, too. Take the side roads. See the sights. They are all over the place.

I have a renewed fondness for riding roads. And it's all because I bought this FJR.

Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful. I wish I had more vacation time because we wouldn't have to ride interstates just to get there. As much as I hate the idea of trailering...we might decide to do it that way. A friend of ours has offered to let us use his trailer so, we'll just have to decide.

I agree with doing 90 on the interstates.....that's usually our coasting speed. The fjr is just so stable and smooth. I just don't want to have square bottom tires by the time we get to the twisties.

Thanks again, you people are great.

Dont have a tow rig? Then consider renting a big Ryder Cube Van. Just big enough to load both bikes. Do a 24-hour run to get to the area. Return the van and enjoy the two weeks. At the end of the trip do the same.
Might want to check on the legality of that wherever you are going. I don't think that it is legal to transport a vehicle in an enclosed truck or trailer unless it has has the proper certifications and other paperwork to guarantee that it is free of gas, oil and other such things.

Of course if you don't get caught then it never happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was Juan, aka FJuanR that brought his FJR up on the AutoTrain, then did lots of miles on it. and did the EOM with us.

The Auto Train only goes N-S: Fla to Virginia and back. Unfortunately.

I have wished I could take my bike out West, since it's a long way from Sout Florida, :blink: but we usually wind up trailering my bike when my wife and I go to the Four Corners area. The only way on train (West -or anywhere else) is to send the bike as "freight," in which case it has to be drained and crated.

There are some great roads off the Interstate from Chi-town to Denver (as I'm sure you're aware), but putting a 1000 miles on your tires to get there and then another 1000 back, would be a major concern.

It's always more fun to ride, but I think trailering is the best solution in your situation, so I hope you can borrow your friend's trailer.

Has anyone loaded their bike on Amtrak between Florida and Virginia? Should or can we leave any packs on the back or should we carry it in?

Thanks