Question for guys with a Cee Bailey FLIP windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpevita

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wondering, approx how far below line of sight can you lower the top of your windscreen before you feel any wind on the top of your helmet?

Tell you why I'm asking. I'm 6'4" and have a +5 Rifle. At full up the top is about 2" below line of sight and no wind on the helmet. Perfect. At full down another story. I wish I could get more flow on my neck and chest. I'm thinking the reverse flip of the CB would increase the size of the air pocket allowing you to keep the screen lower at the top and bottom positions. If true, I could order a shorter CB. Thanks All.. Dan

Rather than change the expensive windshield, just get better control of the air you WANT. Look into Bakerbuilt Air Wings. The hand wings can deflect air into your upper body in a very controlled manner, while the fairing wings can help ventilate the legs and torso. Or just shut it off as needed.

Another option is to install the Laminar LIp. For $70 it will give you all the effect of a flip windshield, and can be removed if you choose. The lip mostly controls the air off the trailing edge of the windshield sending it higher, so the windshield can be run at a lower setting and better angle of attack. You seem to have found a solution that basically works. Don't reinvent that, just modify it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan,

I have a Cee Bailey M23 on my Gen 1. It's a +4 tall w/reverse flip. Great windshield. The air hits me from the nose up with the w/s in the full down position. Needless to say, major diff from the stock shield. I don't have a tuning block installed, or no doubt that would bring the air in a little lower, say maybe down to my chin?? However, the cure isn't the windshield, Dan.

Tom you stole my response. That's exactly what I was going to say. I just installed the air wings on my 05 FJR. What a difference! Here's the link to my post and the pictures.CLICKY Read my comments at the end of the post(s).

Gary

darksider #44

Hi Dan.

My '04 came with a CB Reverse Contour shield, 23"H x 19"W (+4" height and width over stock).

As I am only a 'dwarflike' 5'8", I could not ride with the screen fully up as it meant I had to look through the distorted contour. Approx 50% raised was max for me on the highway, around town I would leave it down. I considered cutting the shield down or going to something lower.

As I have been a Laminar Lip devotee for many years I contacted them for suggestions. They suggested I keep the shield and install a lip designed for a Suzuki Burgman scooter. I have done this and the difference is amazing. I can now ride at highway speeds with the screen fully down, only had to raise it a couple of inches in a rainstorm. Plus, because the CB screen is so much bigger than stock, it would flap a bit when buffeted by wind - doesn't do that any more. Some think the 'lip' is distracting - I don't notice it anymore.

I'm a happy 'lipper' :)

Hope this helps?

Al

Oops! Almost forgot the pics.

cb1.jpg

cb2.jpg

cb3.jpg

I have the CB flip and I get quiet air about the same as you're experiencing with the Rifle. I'm 6'0" so the screen is only about 2/3 up when it is below my line of sight. I wear an HJC in town and on short trips and a Shoei on longer rides and I can drop the screen lower with no head turbulence while wearing the Shoei.

I have a CB with flip that's only 2 inches taller than stock and also a Vstream shield that's approximately 4 inches taller than stock. The flip seems to add almost 2 inches of effective height to the shield - in other words both shield provide the same protection when raised. When lowered the CB allows more air to hit me, which is nice in the summer.

I should note that I have spacers installed in my windshield mechanism that tip the shield back slightly. I'm not sure, but don't think spacers can be installed on newer FJR's due to a redesign of the arms.

I'd caution you from making any exact comparisions with anyone with an inferior ;) Gen I bike because they don't have the superior air management features that our Gen II bike have and this affects how the windshield functions.