Questions Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATLDB

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

This is my first post, I have done searching and read posts about this but wanted to start a new topic so that newbies like myself don't have too far to dig in to it.

I am a BMW rider (04 r1150RT..gone, 02 K1200LT..gone, 03 K1200RS...gone currently ride a 05 K1200S) I love my bike but have been missing have the wife ride with me, and she has been missing our rides too. So I started looking for a Sport Tourer, I am not going back to a LT nor to a Wing, so my 3 choices were:

06 R1200RT (18K with options and some discount)

06 K1200GT (22K with options NO discount).

06 Pre-Owned FJR or wait till June 07 for an 07.

The GT was out immediately as I just cannot justify the 22K for that bike, plus I hate the way it looks.

The RT is an awsome bike and I know how confortable it is, but again the 18K is hurting.

The FJR would be nice, 06's seem available with low miles. And the low 12K (used ones) middle 13K (new one) are a lot easier on the pocket book.

But my questions are:

1- Since I can't seem to find one to at leas sit on it with the wife. How is the two up confort on the 06 FJR, it will be used at least 70% of the time for two up. Mind you I am 6.1 245 wife is 5.8 155. She used to get knee pain on the LT because her knees were too bent while seating on the LT, the pegs were not low enough, am I getting the same with the or worse on the FJR.

2- How is confort two up with the Trunk. I WILL buy one so that she has a backrest, she refuses to ride without a backrest which is the reason why she does not ride my K1200S with me. Or will I be better using the money from the Trunk for a Corbin with a backrest.

As you all can see, I know I will NOT have any issues with the bike solo, but the main reason to add a bike to the stable is so she rides with me therefore her confort is top priority.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
But my questions are:

1- Since I can't seem to find one to at leas sit on it with the wife. How is the two up confort on the 06 FJR, it will be used at least 70% of the time for two up. Mind you I am 6.1 245 wife is 5.8 155. She used to get knee pain on the LT because her knees were too bent while seating on the LT, the pegs were not low enough, am I getting the same with the or worse on the FJR.

There are alot of people that will meet you on this list. Post where you are located and you may be suprised where people come form to show you a bike.

My wife loves the back seat with a givi box/rack.

Man at the opinions you will soon receive with this post.

Mine for what it is worth, is that the FJR will accommdate two up, but my wife likewise has knee issues. Even w/the passender leg exenders she can not ride for long periods--then again we are both old people and neither of us are short or tiny. I'm sure it would be easier for younger couples w/respect to comfort and extended ride time, but not for us. One up.............just me..................in a word awsome!! :yahoo:

But my questions are:

There are alot of people that will meet you on this list. Post where you are located and you may be suprised where people come form to show you a bike.

My wife loves the back seat with a givi box/rack.
Cumming, GA Sorry did not update profile

At the WFO and EOM I saw many an FJR with adjustable passenger pegs and very comfortable seats. One forum member makes a beautiful lugggage rack with a super back rest as does corbin (back rest in seat) and others.

As far as you go you will have a bike that is fast, comfortable and able to get after it in the twisties.

Personally I would look for a good used 06. Jeez i can't believe i am saying that while i am trying to sell my 05!

I like my 06 AE. A bit quirky but so am I.

At the WFO and EOM I saw many an FJR with adjustable passenger pegs and very comfortable seats. One forum member makes a beautiful lugggage rack with a super back rest as does corbin (back rest in seat) and others.As far as you go you will have a bike that is fast, comfortable and able to get after it in the twisties.

Personally I would look for a good used 06. Jeez i can't believe i am saying that while i am trying to sell my 05!

I like my 06 AE. A bit quirky but so am I.
FWIW,

I road 3T's AE and I like it a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New owner of '05 here. My wife doesn't like to ride on the back of my FJR (would've been nice to know before buying the bike!) BUT most will probably agree that having the right configuration makes a good difference in comfort for both riders. You really can't go wrong with this bike as it's versatile... a blast to ride single or with the wife. I ride to work so I get to enjoy it daily. Good luck!

But my questions are:

2- How is confort two up with the Trunk. I WILL buy one so that she has a backrest, she refuses to ride without a backrest which is the reason why she does not ride my K1200S with me. Or will I be better using the money from the Trunk for a Corbin with a backrest.

As you all can see, I know I will NOT have any issues with the bike solo, but the main reason to add a bike to the stable is so she rides with me therefore her confort is top priority.

Thanks for any input.

answers - how much/long do you ride with your wife on the back?

1. I think she will have issues with the FJR if she had issues with the LT. My wife didn't like the LT because she thought the position reminded her of a gynocologist visit - legs spread too wide- she is about the same height, but had no issues with peg length - just width.

2. She is fairly comfortable with Givi trunk though we will probably take off the rubber backrest that you have to pay extra for. it pushes her a bit too far forward. the biggest limitation is the seat. The LT seat is pretty damned comfortable - the rear seat on the FJR is NOT. The front seat is only passable after a LOOOONG break in IF you plan on lots of hours in the seat.

As far as corbin with back rest -- that is a pretty good option, though there are better seats - but if she is like my wife - giving up the trunk (and storage) would not be an option.

I would suggest a mayer or russel seat for you both - with a givi 52 liter or 46 liter top case.

ATLDB,

As of about two weeks ago there were 2 06AE's at Mountain Adventures in Conyers Ga. You can also look in the classifieds here there was an 06 for sale in Dallas Ga. Check out the Cycletrader.com also several around in neighboring states for sale. You shouldn't have a problem locating one.

A Givi trunk with/or without backrest (depends on what you use to mount the Givi actually as to whether or not you need the Givi rubber backrest thingy) helps a ton with wifey comfort. That takes away 100% of the Oh-shit I'm gonna fall off the back feeling when you roll on the throttle.

On bikes that I've tried Corbin backrests on, the Corbin back rests have been OK for short rides but too close up and too short to be of any real value. You can't lean into them. They are more to just hold you into place. The luggage does much better in this regard if you know what I mean. (but alas other opinions may vary, we've tried them and didn't like them, not for anything longer than a short outing, but again, it helped keep her on the bike and take a way the fear of falling off.

The seat and leg stuff can also be dealt with. Some don't' find the stock seat too bad, or can address it with just an Air-hawk or pad, which also may give you another 1/2 inch more legroom. All in all it's not too bad as long as your wife isn't a gorilla.

As others have said there are plenty of good folks on this forum that will let you sit on their bikes and perhaps take it for a test ride even.

1. Two up comfort is great for large folks, IMO. [i'm 5'18" and wife is 5"10", we weigh in at 350 lbs combined. (I could do pennance for revealing her curb wt, if you know what I mean)] I have heard several passenegers complian about knee pain, including mein Frau. We think it is the angle of the rear seat moreso than the peg position. The seat cants the passenger forward a little too aggressively for touring, although it's just right for sporty riding, IMHO. I am thinking about having a custom seat made that is more parallel to the ground and slightly taller, cause I don't want to lower the pegs. I think that would take a lot of the pressure off her knees. Adding a backrest (just installing one on mine this week) may also help.

2. Check out the racks offered on this forum. I bought one from OHFJR, really nice, allows 2 mounting positions for Givi case, although I don't want her leaning back too far on the Feejr, this baby packs it in. On the other hand, it will allow her to lean back and relax a little, and that should help take pressure off her knees.

My wife LOVES Garauld's backrest. She says it is perfect as if were custom made for her. She is comfy on the seat and pegs. She is 5'3".

Hmmm. I don't feel like a newbie anymore. I have had my 06A for few weeks now and the default ergos of this bike suite me (almost) fine. I am 6'. I have the seat in lowest, but will try it in highest (1") in the next few days. I think for me that will reduce the slight leg length issue.

Anyway, I think you guys are making too much out of seat height, backrests Vs luggage with backrest, top case with backrest, footpegs lowered, new seats, etc etc etc. These customizations don't really change anything of the core bike, sometimes you have to adjust to the bike. (It's like, "this is my rifle ... there is no other like it."- you get the idea?) If you want a staid bike, then get a hardley and rock in the boat.

Concentrate on whether you like the bike first (solo)! Everything rear of the gas tank is customizable for wifey, but the guts of the bike is what matters to the rider. (We all know anything is customizable!) Handling stability, cornering and power - not in any particular order - are top notch. I have test rode several sport-tourers, ST1300, 1200GT & RT, Interceptor and others. Finally, I have landed on to the "FJR1300" - I spell it out loud in the house and the kids and even my wifey get a kick out of it!

Of course, the forum members were 'beta testers' for yamaha since FJR1300 got introduced. It has been progressively improved.

I just hope 07 doesn't come out with a color that I would kill for!

Try starting a new topic with a title like. "Anybody in the _____, Georgia area, (subtitle) Willing to let me & my wife sit on your bike?" I'm surprised some people haven't offered yet. We usually go the extra mile for a prospective convert.

I think you're right Toe, about the post title. Maybe a request to the admins to change. I've been skipin reading due to the title, not realizing the specifics of the post.