quickshifter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
Hi,

I find myself thinking about a 2016, but as the auto-clutch model (I have a 2006AE) is unavailable in North America, and as I desire something to minimize manual clutching, I googled, and I find that there are a few add-on quickshifters available for various iterations of the FJR. They're all in the $300-400 range.

All that I could find are upshift only--less than ideal but better than nothing--and there's no guarantee any will work on the 2016, but has anyone tried a quickshifter on an FJR?

Here's one that can be programmed for up and/or down with a smartphone and comes in under $300, including the linkage for proper fitment. I don't think the '16 has any engine changes that matter to installation, so you should be good there. I don't have one, yet, so I can't speak to its performance, but reading through the literature on it, I'm impressed.

https://www.annitoriqs.com/producthome.php?make=15&model=154&year=37

Ok...What the Hell does a quick shifter do?
It let's you shift without using the clutch. Mostly they're upshift only. Not that I need it for racing, but racers use them because they shave a few tenths off each shift. They also lessen chassis attitude changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one that can be programmed for up and/or down with a smartphone and comes in under $300, including the linkage for proper fitment. I don't think the '16 has any engine changes that matter to installation, so you should be good there. I don't have one, yet, so I can't speak to its performance, but reading through the literature on it, I'm impressed.
Thanks. Are you considering getting one?

HotRodZilla posted: Ok...What the Hell does a quick shifter do?
"An excellent question," I said to myself, as I scrolled down to read palerider's succinct answer. Since I'm an engineer, I Googled for more detail. Quick shifters require some sort of engine control (ECU, PowerCommander) to take action when the rider moves the gear shift lever.

from RideApart.com, posted February 14, 2014; boldface not in original text:

As with most emerging tech, there are minor variances in how it can work. Some quick shifters rely on a type of positional sensor, which reads the physical state of the gear shift lever and informs the ECU in a change of position. Others use pressure sensors in the transmission itself, relying on the drivetrain pressure created by shifting without throttle adjustment to actuate the ECU response. Riders with older and/or mechanically carbureted bikes can enjoy quick shifters that use a direct link to the ignition coil. Roughly the exact same series of events happen, except instead of altering timing via the ECU, the ignition coil electrical supply is briefly interrupted.

Quickshifters, along with ABS and Traction Control, are fast becoming standard equipment on some of the sportier offerings from today’s manufacturers. BMW provides a quick shifter as standard on their S1000RR. Their new R1200RT has a neat little trick offered by the BMW Gear Shift Assistant Pro option, which allows for quick, precise, and smooth upshifts and downshifts. Aprilia also offers it as standard on their RSV4 and new Tuono, with their AQS (Aprilia Quick Shift) system including a secondary sensor in the gearbox that determines the currently engaged gear to further refine upshifts. MV Agusta and Ducati supply quick shifters as standard on some models, and Triumph offers a quick and easy bolt on option for the Daytona 675R.

HotRodZilla posted: Ok...What the Hell does a quick shifter do?
"An excellent question," I said to myself...Since I'm an enigneer, I Googled for more detail. Quick shifters require some sort of engine control (ECU, PowerCommander) to take action when the rider moves the gear shift lever...
The above article focuses more on how the shift is sensed than on what happens to make the Quick Shift possible. The following is supplemental information.

When the Quick Shift Sensor detects that the shifter is being moved to initiate a gear shift, the electronics will alter spark timing and/or fuel injection just enough to unload the power delivery to the transmission and allow the shift to be completed. Consumer level Quick Shifters have fixed spark/fuel action determined by the OEM builder. Race and off-road Quick shifters can have one or more adjustable features such as rate of power reduction, duration of power reduction and rate of power resumption.

That's actually kind of cool. I know I've heard of bikes coming with them, specifically the BMWs, but I didn't know it was something that could be added on aftermarket. If that works like it should, that's cool, and not really bad for just over $200.

There is nothing cooler sounding than a liter bike full on the gas when the rider pops it up a gear using a quickshifter - its a weird combination of noises that I will not attempt to spell phonetically but it's intoxicating....

Regarding ups and downs, I believe BMW's S1000RR has the downshift capability built in from the factory while the new R1 is still only for upshifting. I've only ever heard of aftermarket units that provide upshift until the comment earlier in this thread about the Annotori - I might have to look into that for my track bike....

Thanks. Are you considering getting one?
Considering it, yes. Unfortunately, my farkle budget is nonexistant, so it's just on my wish list for now. Pretty far down the list, since I'm perfectly capable of blipping the throttle and ignoring the clutch except for stops. I don't tend to downshift much either.

DeSudet comments, "blipping the throttle and ignoring the clutch except for stops". Provided you do not rake the gears, is there any mechanical downside to this? I used to do it but I think I read somewhere it was harmful to the shifting fork, dogs or something??? Experts please offer your thoughts!!

There is nothing cooler sounding than a liter bike full on the gas when the rider pops it up a gear using a quickshifter - its a weird combination of noises that I will not attempt to spell phonetically but it's intoxicating....
Regarding ups and downs, I believe BMW's S1000RR has the downshift capability built in from the factory while the new R1 is still only for upshifting. I've only ever heard of aftermarket units that provide upshift until the comment earlier in this thread about the Annotori - I might have to look into that for my track bike....
I just spoke with them. Nice people, and yes, that unit can do up and down. They discourage down because if you're careless you can cause a skid. But it will do it.

If I get the 2016 in April I'm going to get one of these too.

I just spoke with them. Nice people, and yes, that unit can do up and down. They discourage down because if you're careless you can cause a skid. But it will do it.

Definitely keep us posted if you do! I'd love to know ahead of time if it's really worth it or not. Of course, I've got a couple grand of other little farkles to get through before this, but still good to know!

Definitely keep us posted if you do! I'd love to know ahead of time if it's really worth it or not. Of course, I've got a couple grand of other little farkles to get through before this, but still good to know!
You can be sure I will. This seems like the perfect combination of A and AE. The one major flaw, for me, with the AE is (and I know just how crazy this sounds) the lack of a manual clutch. There are times/things when/that only a clutch will do. As I enter my down-sloping driveway, I miss the ability to pull in the clutch and glide into the garage. Ditto as I roll up to a stoplight/stop sign. Sometimes I just want to blip the throttle (a seriously bad idea on an AE). I know I can find neutral and do all these things, but it's way too complicated compared to a simple clench of my left hand.

My arthritis doesn't totally preclude me from using a clutch, but it gets bad on long slogs through heavy Los Angeles street traffic. If the quick-shift allows me to limit clutching to only complete stops, that would be a grand compromise.

Come April we'll see where things are financially.

I'm telling you. Someone needs to donate their bike to Recluse for a little bit. I don't know if it's even possible, but a Recluse clutch would basically make the bike an AE. It wouldn't have thumb shifters, so no joy for the guys with bad ankles, but just like dirt bikes, the clutch lever could be removed if one wanted. They're around 800 clams for a dirt bike...

I don't know what the big deal is concerning this quick shifter, I used to clutchless shift gears all the time on my '68 Honda CL450. Just unload the throttle enough to accomplish the necessary foot action then on you go. Downshifts were a bit trickier, but quite do-able. I rode it like that for years...

... until the main crankshaft bearing cap between the throws split in two.

Brodie

uhoh.gif

DeSudet comments, "blipping the throttle and ignoring the clutch except for stops". Provided you do not rake the gears, is there any mechanical downside to this? I used to do it but I think I read somewhere it was harmful to the shifting fork, dogs or something??? Experts please offer your thoughts!!
Good luck finding a definitive answer. There's always been some debate over that, but my takeaway was that if you do it well, and aren't extremely rough about it, there shouldn't be an issue. Check out some youtube videos of how a m/c transmission works and you'll see that the gears are constantly meshed and shifting just moves dogs into the gear you want to be in. It's a pretty sturdy design and should be able to take a fair bit of abuse. Plenty of riders have always gone with clutchless shifting and never had a problem.

The 'blip' I mention is a slight roll off the throttle to remove tension from the current gear so the moving parts will separate more easily. Continued steady pressure on the shifter will then slot the teeth you want to be engaged into place and you can roll right back onto the throttle. This is exactly the same thing a quickshifter does by cutting the ignition circuit briefly. The QS just happens to do it all in 50-60ms rather than the 250-500ms doing it manually. The risk is the same either way, the QS just removes you having to work the throttle to do it. For me, the Annitori being tuneable is the biggest selling point. You can increase or decrease the ignition kill time to fit your personal style. And the clutch is still always an option if you feel like being more laid back with shifting.

I think the bottom line is that you should ride your own ride. If you're not comfortable doing it, don't let anyone pressure you into it. Not even us asshats. :D

I don't know what the big deal is concerning this quick shifter, I used to clutchless shift gears all the time on my '68 Honda CL450. Just unload the throttle enough to accomplish the necessary foot action then on you go. Downshifts were a bit trickier, but quite do-able. I rode it like that for years...

... until the main crankshaft bearing cap between the throws split in two.

Brodie

uhoh.gif
I've upshifted clutch-free on the highway for years; downshifting is another matter. But that's on the highway. If you're able without using the clutch to smoothly up- and downshift consistently in heavy traffic at low speeds for hours day in and day out, sometimes with a passenger, you're a better rider than I am. (Actually, there's no doubt about that.) But I'm hoping for smooth, consistent, low-speed, clutchless up- and downshifting (a la the AE) on a 2016, and if a QS can give me that for around $300, it seems like a good add-on for me.