quieter aftermarket exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
I originally installed Blue Flame aftermarket exhaust on my 08 four years ago. I,ve grown to love the look but have grown weary of the noise they emit. I recently rode a friends 08 with stock exhaust and find that I prefer the quieter sound of the stock exhaust over what I installed.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket exhaust that would be as relatively quiet as the stock cans?

Any chance that the cans have gotten louder as the packing has worn out? Can they be repacked? Maybe call the manufacturer and ask if they do that for a nominal fee? Also, something I learned just recently is that Staintunes are one of the quietest on the market, slightly louder than stock, based on the comments by SkooterG on this forum. Also very expensive when new, about 1550. I just bought a used set on this forum.

Based on kman09's response below, I'm throwing in this edit: FJR posts on Leo Vance cans

CLICKY1

CLICKY2

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Staintune w/baffles in, and Leo Vince w/ baffles in. Any Mfg,. that has baffle inserts will be noticeably quieter.

Shop and compare,not sure if Vance and Hines have baffles or not. But they make a nice exhaust. :)

I have the Leo Vince w/ baffels and they are a little louder than stock, w/o the baffels they have a nice rumble.

I have the Leo Vince w/ baffels and they are a little louder than stock, w/o the baffels they have a nice rumble.

I also have a set of the LV's and the quiet baffles. I took them off after ~40,000 miles because they were getting too loud. They need a repack and LV wants too much for the OEM packing material. I may have to see if I can find some generic stuff that works the same and will last as long. If you are looking at aftermarket and want them to stay quiet, remember that most of these are packed and will gradually get louder.

Ross

Why not just go back to stock? :unsure:

What would you hope to accomplish with the aftermarket exhaust can that the stock cans won't do?
That was my thought, and if you don't have the stock someone will probably trade with you. That's how I got a great deal on my Beowuff's.

I originally installed Blue Flame aftermarket exhaust on my 08 four years ago. I,ve grown to love the look but have grown weary of the noise they emit. I recently rode a friends 08 with stock exhaust and find that I prefer the quieter sound of the stock exhaust over what I installed.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket exhaust that would be as relatively quiet as the stock cans?
The BlueFlame cans (at least the EVO 3) support two (2) baffles, and they are not loud with bot baffles in. I've been running mine with the single baffle in for the past 160k+ miles (between the two bikes) and wouldn't give them up for anything. I always use HL 33NR earplugs.

If by some chance you still find it too loud with both baffles in :blink: I have a much simpler and MUCH cheaper suggestion ($26 for a pack of 200 33NR plugs) ;) :

Why not just go back to stock? :unsure:

What would you hope to accomplish with the aftermarket exhaust can that the stock cans won't do?
That was my thought, and if you don't have the stock someone will probably trade with you. That's how I got a great deal on my Beowuff's.

I,m not crazy about the look of the stock exhaust, especially with the bags off

I have a set of (near) mint stock cans if anyone wants them cheap. I tried to make my bike mint condition, and then gave up and just rode it! Cans are nice, but actually quiter than my banged up cans.

The look is classic, but a little heavier than aftermarket. Anyone ever think of painting them?

Jim.

My '04 came with Remus Revolution cans, they must have an additional baffle installed as they are very quiet. Riding buddies have told me they give a nice 'growl' when accelerating, but I don't hear it.

I couldn't find these on the Remus site, so I guess they are discontinued. I noticed that all their mufflers seem to have a 'lifetime' re-pack warranty - not sure how I would ever go about claiming it though.

Last week, while pulling out of my local coffee shop parking lot, an old (probably my age!) man asked "Why can't all bikes be as quiet as yours?". There are a LOT of loud-pipe Harleys in my 'hood, which may explain this.

006-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

Al

I now own KMan's Leo Vince pipes. They're the quietest aftermarket pipes I've heard, I really like them. They still have a nice sound though. Without the baffles they're still not too loud but you can hear them when cruising on the highway. With baffles in it's like stock exhaust when cruising.

Least expensive option is stock, but stay away from any modified hacked up cans.

If money is no object... Remus!

--G
Even though I love the beowulf cans, I lust for the remus hexicones. Sweet look and sound.
You and me both junior! Unfortunately I'm not willing to part with the $$$ to fulfill the lust... ;)

--G

Least expensive option is stock, but stay away from any modified hacked up cans.

--G
Even though I love the beowulf cans, I lust for the remus hexicones. Sweet look and sound.
You and me both junior! Unfortunately I'm not willing to part with the $$$ to fulfill the lust... ;)

--G

If Low and Silent wasn't such an easy mark. I mean a nice guy, I probably would have the trooper mod.

But I'm finding out the after market cans have ruined my fuel economy. Because I'm always running it in the higher rpm range. God I love the sound of this motor. :yahoo:

--G

--G

If Low and Silent wasn't such an easy mark. I mean a nice guy, I probably would have the trooper mod.

But I'm finding out the after market cans have ruined my fuel economy. Because I'm always running it in the higher rpm range. God I love the sound of this motor. :yahoo:
+1 on the Hexicones. My '08 I bought used came with them so the previous owner took the big $ hit. I have not tried them with the baffle inserts as I find the sound level and tone without them is very nice. In fact, the airbox mod I did to let it breath more can be as loud as the exhaust when pouring the coals to it.