R.I.P. Dad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
As some of you know, my dad was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis approximately 9 years ago. When we originally got the news, everything we saw and read said that his projected lifespan was 2-5 years. This horrible disease finally took his life yesterday morning at 10 am.

Pulmonary fibrosis is essentially a scarring of the lung walls that inhibits the lungs from transferring oxygen into the bloodstream. The first 7 years were difficult, but, bearable. A year ago September, the disease advanced to the point where he required an occasional dose of supplemental oxygen. By this past April, he required oxygen approximately 80% of the time. 1 month later, he required oxygen full time, but, could still withstand a somewhat normal way of life. By September, the disease kicked the shit out of him and it advanced rapidly. Things we take for granted such as getting up to go get a drink of water turned into a huge ordeal and he couldn't walk from the living room to the kitchen without being completely exhausted and his body couldn't take all of the oxygen the machines would give him.

On Sunday morning, his oxygen saturation level dropped to a dangerous level. My mother called 911 and ,when he got to the hospital, he went into cardiac arrest. They put him on a ventilator and kept him 'alive'. My brother, sister, and I flew to Florida to be at his side and to comfort mom. On Monday, he showed some improvement, but, the outlook wasn't great. He opened his eyes when I got there Monday night and looked at all of us. While the reality is that he probably didn't know what was going on due to the medication and sedation, we're going to believe that he saw us and he knew we were there. Tuesday was a rough day and we knew we were going to be faced with a difficult situation soon. They called us Wednesday am and said his numbers were dropping rapidly and we should get to the hospital. At 10 am, with all of us by his side, he took his last breath and we said our goodbyes.

We knew this disease would take his life, we just didn't know how it would go down. We were relieved that his life didn't end by suffocation or another form of long-term suffering.

He will be missed by so many.

Rest in peace, Dad....my friend, my father, my hero.

Randy, I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my father several years ago, and to this day, I grieve. I hope you find solace in the memories of the good times that you had with your Dad. You and your family will be in my prayers tonight.

-Greg-

My condolences on the loss of your father.

I lost my father in 1996 after a heart attack, he was only 54. I remember him everyday and miss him everyday. Always remember the good times and they will get you by.

Neal

Peace and comfort on you and your family. I went through the same thing just over a year ago. Grasp the memories and hold them close for its in that part of your mind and heart that he will live forever.

Until the sense of loss eases, remember that the depth of the sorrow and grief is merely a reflection of the friendship, love and respect you shared.

My most sincere condolences to you and your family, Randy. Mike said it so eloquently above, that I'll simple say, "what he said." Peace, brother.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I still have both of my parents, along with the uncertainty & anxiety of how long that will last.

Death is one of the very few things guaranteed in lfe. How we spend the time before that ultimate event is the measure of mankind. It sounds like your dad measured up just fine.

Peace be with you, God's speed be with Dad.

Sorry for your loss Randy.

Lost my Mom 20 yrs ago this past NYE,I was 17, she'll always be 38. Keep them in your memories and that will always keep them alive in your heart, untl you meet again.

So sorry Randy. I Lost my dad 7 years ago and think of him daily. He still gives me advice to this day. Your post brought a tear to my eye. Take care, and condolences to you and your family come from Graham & Sue in the UK.

Tough times Randy. It is a beautiful thing you were by his side. To be there with the ones you love is a special, personal thing.

My Mom passed last June. We were gathered by her side and watched her blood ox drop to unsustainable levels and then she was gone.

To be surrounded by the ones you love as your light fades, I can only pray...

I am so sorry for your loss

As some of you know, my dad was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis approximately 9 years ago. When we originally got the news, everything we saw and read said that his projected lifespan was 2-5 years. This horrible disease finally took his life yesterday morning at 10 am. Pulmonary fibrosis is essentially a scarring of the lung walls that inhibits the lungs from transferring oxygen into the bloodstream. The first 7 years were difficult, but, bearable. A year ago September, the disease advanced to the point where he required an occasional dose of supplemental oxygen. By this past April, he required oxygen approximately 80% of the time. 1 month later, he required oxygen full time, but, could still withstand a somewhat normal way of life. By September, the disease kicked the shit out of him and it advanced rapidly. Things we take for granted such as getting up to go get a drink of water turned into a huge ordeal and he couldn't walk from the living room to the kitchen without being completely exhausted and his body couldn't take all of the oxygen the machines would give him.

On Sunday morning, his oxygen saturation level dropped to a dangerous level. My mother called 911 and ,when he got to the hospital, he went into cardiac arrest. They put him on a ventilator and kept him 'alive'. My brother, sister, and I flew to Florida to be at his side and to comfort mom. On Monday, he showed some improvement, but, the outlook wasn't great. He opened his eyes when I got there Monday night and looked at all of us. While the reality is that he probably didn't know what was going on due to the medication and sedation, we're going to believe that he saw us and he knew we were there. Tuesday was a rough day and we knew we were going to be faced with a difficult situation soon. They called us Wednesday am and said his numbers were dropping rapidly and we should get to the hospital. At 10 am, with all of us by his side, he took his last breath and we said our goodbyes.

We knew this disease would take his life, we just didn't know how it would go down. We were relieved that his life didn't end by suffocation or another form of long-term suffering.

He will be missed by so many.

Rest in peace, Dad....my friend, my father, my hero.

Randy, I don't know you but we share something that so many of us share, and I feel for your loss. Your tribute to your Dad was eloquent and really moved me. Take comfort in the life that he lived.

Randy -

Moments of silent reflection for your friend, your father, your hero.

I'm sorry to hear of your father's death. As I prepare to sip on coffee this morning, I'll pour a little into the sink and borrow a line from "Cooley High" - "This is for the brothers who ain't here."

Take care.

I am truly sorry about your loss Randy.

Sounds like you loved you Dad dearly.

Try to remember the good times.