R1 shift arm question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovetoo

Reaction score
Ever looking for a way to shift more smoothly despite my questionable skills,I just ordered the R1 shift arm as several people here have mentioned doing.My question is just how important is turning it backwards to a smooth action? I believe one post suggested there was no noticeable difference either way.It just occurs to me that it would be easier to tighten it if not backwards.

It will work either way. Just make sure you have clearance for the full range of motion.

Ever looking for a way to shift more smoothly despite my questionable skills,I just ordered the R1 shift arm as several people here have mentioned doing.My question is just how important is turning it backwards to a smooth action? I believe one post suggested there was no noticeable difference either way.It just occurs to me that it would be easier to tighten it if not backwards.

It's not that turning it around will add any benefit to amoothnes it's that the R1 arm is slightly offset and tuning it around makes for a more direct path for the linkage. I have one and it takes about 5 minutes to install, well worth it.

OK so I assume , then , that it is still pretty easy to install backward?
All your questions should be answered in this thread

A picture is worth a 1000 words...

IMHO cleaning all the gunk out and a little lubrication made it even sweeter.

I will never know as I did the R1 install and cleaning at the same time but it was night/day afterwards. :clapping:

I guess I will know which because I've done the clean/lube already.Thanks for the link- a picture is indeed worth a thousand words!

Latest posts