Racing 905 engine guards and pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrM0t0

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I low-sided my Feejer last Thursday, and I think the 1st thing to touch down and leverage my front whel off the ground may have been my Wild Bill's peg's base plate. Not sure, but who knows.

I was at a dealer and saw a heavily farkled used Gen II that had Racing 905 engine guards and foot pegs fitted. The footpegs looked more comfortable, as they were further out, and "safer", as they were further up, by a long shot. The downside is the bars themselves detract from the aesthetics of the bodywork.

Does anyone here use them and have an opinion? I saw a group buy on them some time ago and assume someone took advantage.

I low-sided my Feejer last Thursday, and I think the 1st thing to touch down and leverage my front whel off the ground may have been my Wild Bill's peg's base plate. Not sure, but who knows.

I was at a dealer and saw a heavily farkled used Gen II that had Racing 905 engine guards and foot pegs fitted. The footpegs looked more comfortable, as they were further out, and "safer", as they were further up, by a long shot. The downside is the bars themselves detract from the aesthetics of the bodywork.

Does anyone here use them and have an opinion? I saw a group buy on them some time ago and assume someone took advantage.
Don't have the 905 bars, but I do have wild bills plates with kuryakyn pegs. What pegs did you have on the plates and were they folded out or up? Just curious for safety reasons.

..and if IIRC, someone on the board had issues with the 905's touching down and doing the same thing.

I run Wild Bill's and Kuryakins.. have to fold the Kuri's up in the corners..

but have them mounted such that if they do touch down the fold back..

(and yes, the are ground down)

..and if IIRC, someone on the board had issues with the 905's touching down and doing the same thing.

Do you have offsets too or just the pegs? I have Kuryakyns pegs mounted on their offsets. They have never touched down, but I'm not a real aggressive rider.

I have the pegs that came with the plates. They're set up so they fold up and back. What I think caught the pavement was the unhinged base partion of the peg, not the plate itself.

Do you have offsets too or just the pegs? I have Kuryakyns pegs mounted on their offsets. They have never touched down, but I'm not a real aggressive rider.
No offsets, but this was an AGGRESSIVE corner due to incorrect corner entry (too tight)on my part and having to make up for it at the apex to stay in my lane. 20 mph low-side.

The bars can be removed if you think driver-error will cause them to scrape pavement. I've scraped the bottom edges of the front bars while riding aggressively. You can, safely, scrape lots of bits. However, if you've managed to screw up a corner the bars/pegs/bike aren't the issue.

This is atleast the 5th person I know that has had a getoff from contact with Highway pegs...always an "unusual" corner or curve.

I am staying the heck away from these things.

Yep, I have them. Yep, you can take them off (but you'll need to probably buy new motor mount bolts unless those come with the bike).

Yep you can grind these too in just the right circumstances. Mine are now 'broken' in. I've ground off about all I can. The first time, kind of sucked, but after that, well it's much like dragging a peg. I did, further grind on mine to create more clearance.

Circumstances have to be just right though (suspension fully compressed, well crowned corner, etc).

I keep them on the bike though, I like the protection that they offer, and the highway peg mounts that are on them.

YMMV

I've seen the "higher" pegs and don't know what good they'd be. Your knees are still bent almost as much as they are when your feet are on the bike's own pegs, but now you have your gut curled up, too. Relaxing position? I wouldn't think so.

If my Wild Bill's crash me, I was probably crashed anyway. . . . That said, both of my low-sides were lost front tire, one in gravel, and one locked up on the brakes.

I've seen the "higher" pegs and don't know what good they'd be. Your knees are still bent almost as much as they are when your feet are on the bike's own pegs, but now you have your gut curled up, too. Relaxing position? I wouldn't think so.

If my Wild Bill's crash me, I was probably crashed anyway. . . . That said, both of my low-sides were lost front tire, one in gravel, and one locked up on the brakes.
Mine aren't that High.

IMG_0961.JPG

Well higher than wild bills. All those did for me was smash my shins/knees on the fairing trying to use them.

As mine are set, the peg hits my foot just under my heal and I 'rest' my legs on them. I could lower them a few more inches and they'd be safe, but they aren't an extension of the frame/motor mount bolt. I had those before the crash bars and they high.

If I make the SE Ohio Doo-Dah or what ever it's called this year you can sit on it and see if you like/hate it.

Edit: wf00shee though you were someone else. Still offer stands if I see you at an event/ride.

-MD

Last edited by a moderator:

Mine aren't that High.

IMG_0961.JPG

Well higher than wild bills. All those did for me was smash my shins/knees on the fairing trying to use them.

As mine are set, the peg hits my foot just under my heal and I 'rest' my legs on them. I could lower them a few more inches and they'd be safe, but they aren't an extension of the frame/motor mount bolt. I had those before the crash bars and they high.

If I make the SE Ohio Doo-Dah or what ever it's called this year you can sit on it and see if you like/hate it.

Edit: wf00shee though you were someone else. Still offer stands if I see you at an event/ride.

-MD
That's the exact setup I'm considering. What I'm wondering is if the lowest point on the 905 bars (not pegs) protrudes any less than Wild Bills pegs when they're folded up? I think we'd have to have two bikes side by side to really answer the question.

I appreciate everyone's input on the subject.