Radar Detector-Does It Exist??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSFJR

Reaction score
In Canada, most, if not all provinces have banned the use of radar detectors. My question is simple; does a make/model exist anywhere that would cover the current radar/laser technologies used by law enforcement yet be undetectable by local police or the RCMP when in use??? Many moons ago I had a Cobra model something detector, worked great until banned, and I know technology has advanced several steps since then. Any help, insights, experiences or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I guess you gotta ask yourself whats more expensive, a speeding ticket, or a fine for having a radar detector + the cost of said detector?

The latest sniffers get them all. Werd. You will get nailed in NB which has 'em. Not sure about NS. Save your money for farkles!

John.

The officer will still know you have one by the way you act when the warning goes off. Do you really think he's not watching when he pulls the trigger on you?

Bob

This is easy. Just keep an old throw-away RD on hand besides the good unit. If you get pulled over give em that one...PM. <>< :rolleyes:

This is easy. Just keep an old throw-away RD on hand besides the good unit. If you get pulled over give em that one...PM. <>< :rolleyes:
.... and be prepared for the ONE THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE. No thanks.

OK, this subject has my attention. 5 of us from here in St. Louis are doing a ride up into BC this summer. 3 run radar detectors. I need some advice from those experienced with riding in Canada.

Will we be able to just unplug our detectors and store them in a saddle bag when we cross the border, or will customs get their panties in a wad?

Thanks,

John

OK, this subject has my attention. 5 of us from here in St. Louis are doing a ride up into BC this summer. 3 run radar detectors. I need some advice from those experienced with riding in Canada.Will we be able to just unplug our detectors and store them in a saddle bag when we cross the border, or will customs get their panties in a wad?

Thanks,

John
According to Radarbusters.com: In Canada, the only three provinces that allow their use are Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

I think before going into the other provinces you'd better hide your detectors really well. It is illegal to even have them in your possession in Ontartio, so you assume some risk even packing them away. I can't imagine that they would go searching for them, but you never know.

Here's a small discussion about "speed measuring" devices in Ontario.

My last radar detector was a 'Fuzzbuster' waaay back when. They must have sold millions of those things and started an era of cat and mouse between drivers and police. When the consumers started winning, they did what any spoiled child does - they sulked and made the things illegal.

So Canadian authorities (and others) solved the problem by banning the things - though my brother's car has the Bel St1 - he's been running it for a year (I think) and has yet to have any issues.

However with Laser and 'instant on' radar systems what's the point? Unless you are in heavy traffic there's nothing to warn you of - and there's a real risk that your actions will tip the officer to the fact that you are equipped if it does go off.

If I get a ticket (and usually get a couple of tickets each riding season) I ALWAYS try to negotiate them down or fight them. At this time I have zero points on my record and some extra money left to pay off my ex as a result.

Riding in upstate New York last Saturday a friend and I were passed by an officer driving in the other direction - we were running about 75 in a burst (according to GPS). I was behind and a quick check of my mirrors (I hate the FJR mirrors) showed that officer saw (or more likely measured) us because his brake lights went on and he made a quick U-turn (it seemed to me that he cut off a vehicle travelling in my direction in his excited anticipation of executing the 'safety enforcement operation').

He came up behind me fast with his flashers on and when I moved to the right, he zoomed past me and came up behind my friend. Since he passed me I just kept going and then stopped and waited at the border for my friend to show up.

Reportedly we were travelling at 75 (him) and 78 (me) and my friend said the officer was 'upset' that I didn't stop. Well, that's just too bad. He passed me in his zeal to generate revenue, presumably hoping to score 'a double' and his only recourse would have been to let my friend go and come after me (and he'd accomplish nothing for doing this because I'd done nothing wrong on that score anyway) - once separated, he really had no choice.

And that's the rule we ride by . . . if you get stopped as a member of a riding group, the rest just keep on going. There's just no point in everyone getting a ticket where only one will do.

So, if you do get a ticket in the snowy north . . . just how often did you plan on driving/riding in Nova Scotia anyway? If you got a ticket and didn't pay it all they'd be able to do is to issue a warrant and revoke your right to drive in that province. So unless your country cabin is there and assuming you did get a ticket for a relatively minor infraction, I'd take your ticket home and frame it.

Having said that - take note that the Quebec Provincial Police are hot on equipment violations this year.

On the day before the speed stop I was pulled over in heavy traffic by a parked officer because he didn't like my headlight modulator (to quote - 'your bike has not legal lights'), but I carry a printout of the rules in the glove box which I showed him. But he happens to be right about my lights not being legal - I have non-standard European Silverstar H4s installed, but he didn't pick up on that.

He did take the time to carefully inspect the machine, paying special attention to the mufflers - he told me he looks for the DOT stamping (draw your own conclusions as to how one might get past them based on this information).

Last - a couple of weeks ago a police car came up close behind me and literally circled my bike (at highway speeds) with the officer leering at the machine the whole time. Apparently satisfied, he went after the person I was with (another friend, this one on a ZX14 equipped with Hindle exhausts), did the same inspection routine and pulled him over and ticketed him for having non-compliant exhausts. No requirement for reinspection, mind you. Just a ticket for $160. This way they can get multiples of $160 as the season progresses. See how it works?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, this subject has my attention. 5 of us from here in St. Louis are doing a ride up into BC this summer. 3 run radar detectors. I need some advice from those experienced with riding in Canada.Will we be able to just unplug our detectors and store them in a saddle bag when we cross the border, or will customs get their panties in a wad?

Thanks,

John

John,

A couple of us went around Lake Superior, last summer, we just unplugged the radar dectectors and put them away while in Canada. It is my understanding that it is not illegal to have them in your posession, but it is illegal to use them. One thing it is illegal to have in your posession is a firearm. Leave those at home for this trip. The Canuks get all bent out of shape concerning guns.

Have fun and good luck.

DCH

Thanks,

John

John,

A couple of us went around Lake Superior, last summer, we just unplugged the radar dectectors and put them away while in Canada. It is my understanding that it is not illegal to have them in your posession, but it is illegal to use them. One thing it is illegal to have in your posession is a firearm. Leave those at home for this trip. The Canuks get all bent out of shape concerning guns.

Have fun and good luck.

DCH

I posted an excerpt of the Ontario law in my other post linked above. I also emailed the proper authority in that province and was told ....

It IS ILLEGAL to even possess a "speed measuring warning device"...

unless you are carrying them in the unopened original sales container and transporting them out of the province. And I was told very clear via email when I emailed the authorities that it IS ILLEGAL to possess them. So please don't assume that you are OK to just hide them and get away with it (although that would certainly be my plan if I were going coast to coast in Canada). If you give the officers good reason to search your vehicle (and they don't need much reason to search if they suspect you might have a speed measuring warning device") you can count on losing your detector and getting a big fine.

I like this one:

(3) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Thanks,

John

John,

Have fun and good luck.

DCH

I posted an excerpt of the Ontario law in my other post linked above. I also emailed the proper authority in that province and was told ....

unless you are carrying them in the unopened original sales container and transporting them out of the province. And I was told very clear via email when I emailed the authorities that it IS ILLEGAL to possess them. So please don't assume that you are OK to just hide them and get away with it (although that would certainly be my plan if I were going coast to coast in Canada). If you give the officers good reason to search your vehicle (and they don't need much reason to search if they suspect you might have a speed measuring warning device") you can count on losing your detector and getting a big fine.

I like this one:

(3) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.
Wow, I guess I was wrong on that. Thanks for the post. I'll rermeber that if we go back up there!

DCH

We are only going to be in British Columbia. IF the info here is correct, we should be ok. I think I will try to contact the BC authorities before we leave just to make sure.

Thanks,

John

I found what I needed to know here: https://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/region...ional_1170.html

Automobile Radar Detectors

Three provinces do not prohibit radar detectors. They are British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. All the rest (including the territories) do prohibit radar detectors. The police will confiscate radar detectors, whether in use or not, and may impose fines up to $1000

Hi John,

I am in Alberta, I can tell you for sure that in BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan that radar detectors are A- :thumbsup: OK.

Well, if you're going to Canada and planning to break the law anyway, you might as well go all the way. Gear up the scoot, add a little radar absorbing paint, you get the idea.

Jam em!

Thanks,

John

John,

Have fun and good luck.

DCH

I like this one:

And you thought Kalifornia was bad. He He. PM. <>< :rolleyes:

It looks like the solution I propose won't be needed in this case but I'll share it anyway. When I head to Canada, I carry a prepaid PriorityMail box folded flat. At the border, I dump my radar detector along with clothes I've already used into the mailer and drop it in a postbox. The disadvantage is that I must be extra-alert for police when I head home.