Radar Detector Mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rummy

Reaction score
I wanted to find a way to mount my Valentine1 Radar Detector so that it was in clear view while seated on the FJR and I did not want my body to block the rear view of the radar detector, I wanted front & rear protection. I purchased the Slipstreamer Radar Mount Kit from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse and fabricated a bracket that sandwiched between the mirror mount base and the faring. The end result is I accomplished what I set out to do, it is very sturdy, easy to view, easy to remove.

I have posted pictures to my PhotoBucket account for your viewing pleasure. Hopefully, this will give you some different ideas about mounting your radar detector. https://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/n...ntine1%20Mount/

Note: Click on each picture as I have added text to each photo.

I wanted to find a way to mount my Valentine1 Radar Detector so that it was in clear view while seated on the FJR and I did not want my body to block the rear view of the radar detector, I wanted front & rear protection. I purchased the Slipstreamer Radar Mount Kit from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse and fabricated a bracket that sandwiched between the mirror mount base and the faring. The end result is I accomplished what I set out to do, it is very sturdy, easy to view, easy to remove.
I have posted pictures to my PhotoBucket account for your viewing pleasure. Hopefully, this will give you some different ideas about mounting your radar detector. https://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/n...ntine1%20Mount/

Nicely done. Very clean. You were worried about laser from behind as a reason for mounting it there? Doesn't radar just cruise right through our meat?

Any concerns about bugs/rocks/whatnot smacking into it?

Looks good! Thanks for posting.

Rancho

I just mounted my V-1 before I went out to NAFO, and it saved my bacon more than once. I have it mounted on the right side, actually on top of the brake fluid reservoir. At first just had it Velcroed down, but I found a mounting plate while at NAFO from one of the vendors, which is a lot more secure. I also have added the visual alert LED, since the normal lights from the V1 did not get my attention during the day, and there was no way I could hear it.

My only criticism of your mount is that the V1 doesn't have any protection. If you use it like that long term, it will get beat up pretty fast.

I almost forgot. The other nice ting about having it mounted inside the cockpit area is that if you do get stopped, you can through your gloves over it, so the LEO doesn't see the V1. if they see you are running a detector, you will almost certainly get a ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to respond to some comments...

1. The main reason I mounted it where I did is: I wanted to visually see it and I did not want to degrade the rear view sensitivity.

2. Yes its out there in the open, but keep in mind it presents a small target and I will probably use some left over TankSlapper film on it or in-case it.

3. I don't really care about hiding it. I live in California and Radar Detectors are legal in this state. I can't see a cop pull me over for it.

4. I have it wired (audio) into my Starcom, when I hear it, I can then look at it.

Some change that I will do in the near future:

1. Remove the thumb screws and go with Hex bolts.

2. Trim-up and paint homemade bracket.

3. Change rubber O-ring with a strap, like the tool bag strap thats under our seats but with a tab (quick lease).

4. Add tank slapper film or a plastic transparent cover that I saw on the internet.

Some like me install in the tank bag. Out of sight out of mind. Especialloy when stopped. More like to get a performance award if it is sitting in plain sight. I have noticed no difference in detection. Plus it out of the weather and goes where my tank bag goes, from bike to bike.

3. I don't really care about hiding it. I live in California and Radar Detectors are legal in this state. I can't see a cop pull me over for it.4. Add tank slapper film or a plastic transparent cover that I saw on the internet.
I think the point TriggerT was making wasn't that it's a problem HAVING a radar detector, it's that if you do get stopped and it's seen by the LEO chances are real good you'll get the performance award just because you have one.

Instead of reinventing the wheel you may want to check out the waterproof V-1 cover offered by Legal Speeding. I used one before moving my V-1 into the tankbag. With the exception of losing the laser-detecting function it works fine in the tankbag. I also have mine hooked up to audio via a Starcom, and have a waterproofed V-1 remote display on my dash so I can see if the threat is in front or behind me. The remote display is also much easier to cover with a glove if stopped. Another advantage with having the V-1 in a tankbag is you don't have to remove it every time you're away from the bike, worrying whether it will still be there when you get back.

3. I don't really care about hiding it. I live in California and Radar Detectors are legal in this state. I can't see a cop pull me over for it.4. Add tank slapper film or a plastic transparent cover that I saw on the internet.
I think the point TriggerT was making wasn't that it's a problem HAVING a radar detector, it's that if you do get stopped and it's seen by the LEO chances are real good you'll get the performance award just because you have one.

Instead of reinventing the wheel you may want to check out the waterproof V-1 cover offered by Legal Speeding. I used one before moving my V-1 into the tankbag. With the exception of losing the laser-detecting function it works fine in the tankbag. I also have mine hooked up to audio via a Starcom, and have a waterproofed V-1 remote display on my dash so I can see if the threat is in front or behind me. The remote display is also much easier to cover with a glove if stopped. Another advantage with having the V-1 in a tankbag is you don't have to remove it every time you're away from the bike, worrying whether it will still be there when you get back.
The cover by LegalSpeeding is what I had in mind, but I normally don't ride in the rain (So. Cal), but if I did, I would not be speeding in the rain and would probably just remove it from the bike. If you think about the position that I have it mounted in, is not much different than people who mount it on top of the brake reservoir, but the face of the V1 can be viewed. I tried throwing my gloves over it too hid it like another poster suggested and that works too.

Everyone is a critic right?

My V1 is mounted over my right reservoir... I've never had an issue with front or rear radar detection in that position.

It's mostly protected by the screen, even in the rain... Though I carry a handful of disposable rain protectors (read: zip-loc bags) that I'll throw over for the occasional down pour. Like you said though, your less likely to be speeding in the rain and in really bad weather I just take it off and toss in in a side bag.

I don't think I'd put mine out there where yours is. It just feels to exposed to me. Where mine is now it's easy to cover with my helmet in the event of a stoppage. Radar detectors are mostly legal but that doesn't mean the po-po like to see them. It doesn't help you uh... talk your way out of anything.

I've avoided a number of citations just by being polite and nice. I don't think showing off the Valentine would have helped me in any of those situations.

If you're already hearing the audio via the Starcom, then on the reservoir should be visible enough IMHO.

The cover by LegalSpeeding is what I had in mind, but I normally don't ride in the rain (So. Cal), but if I did, I would not be speeding in the rain and would probably just remove it from the bike. If you think about the position that I have it mounted in, is not much different than people who mount it on top of the brake reservoir, but the face of the V1 can be viewed. I tried throwing my gloves over it too hid it like another poster suggested and that works too.
Very nice job on the mounting base.

My 8500 is mounted on resevoir mount & is totally behind windscreen, easily seen & reachable to mute when needed. It's also much harder for LEO to see than if on a pole sticking up in front of bike. JMO but I kinda feel much more stealthier with it tucked in . . .BTW I also need it in the rain . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on my water related experiences with a V1, I'd remove it from that position if there is a fog, much less rain!

Good luck with yours!!

I have mine velcroed to the right brake reservoir and have the audio piped thru to my autocom. It works very well this way. It is secured and has never even moved even at triple digit speeds.

When I leave the bike I peal it off and lock it away in a side bag

Nice install! How's the vibration on that rig?

Nice install! How's the vibration on that rig?
The Radar Detector is very solid, absolutely no vibration. I have since changed the mounting position a little, It's now under the mirror, I think it looks better there. For the most part I ran it for most of the summer and it has save my bacon.

Rummy