Radar detector stealth location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spankyaf

Reaction score
I've escalated my war against Ontarios draconian Bill 203 by investing in a laser jammer so I no longer need the RD to see down the road to pick up laser.

My question has anyone mounted their RD hidden low in the cockpit or in the storage cubby? ( which is too narrow without being cut)

I know about remote rds but I'd rather use what I have.

I looked once at something similar and it got more and more complex it it's not a remote.

First, you need power. If using a battery detector, the batteries need to be changed.

You need to be able to access the controls. If you get pulled over, you want to be able to silence it quick, especially since aren't they illegal where you are?

You need to be able to perceive the thing going off. If illegal in your province do you really want a radar screamer at 100+dB?

You need physical mounting and theft protection.

In the end for me, mounting in the clear top pouch of the tank bag with a map that could slide over it was easiest, with earbuds. While I don't use it much, there's also an MP3 player and even thought they are not legal in a lot of states I doubt the earbuds will be questioned.

I looked once at something similar and it got more and more complex it it's not a remote. First, you need power. If using a battery detector, the batteries need to be changed.

You need to be able to access the controls. If you get pulled over, you want to be able to silence it quick, especially since aren't they illegal where you are?

You need to be able to perceive the thing going off. If illegal in your province do you really want a radar screamer at 100+dB?

You need physical mounting and theft protection.

In the end for me, mounting in the clear top pouch of the tank bag with a map that could slide over it was easiest, with earbuds. While I don't use it much, there's also an MP3 player and even thought they are not legal in a lot of states I doubt the earbuds will be questioned.
Sorry I use Vizalert in my helmet, the Bel sti is not detectable by Spectre, and it I will hard wire it to the electrical system with a handlebar kill switch to shut down the jammer. But you raise a good point about beinag able to switch it back and forth with the car. I hate the tankbag thing though... used it way back when

Last edited by a moderator:
Laser jammers are, IMO, worthless at less than 500-700'. The police laser WILL acquire the target at distances closer than this. In the US, due to a ruling in New Jersey years ago which many states (but not all) have adopted restrict laser use to less than 1000'. Thus, it will only help for a couple hundred feet. If you were coming through my part of town, it would be completely worthless since 99% of my laser use is at around 400'.

Laser jammers are, IMO, worthless at less than 500-700'. The police laser WILL acquire the target at distances closer than this. In the US, due to a ruling in New Jersey years ago which many states (but not all) have adopted restrict laser use to less than 1000'. Thus, it will only help for a couple hundred feet. If you were coming through my part of town, it would be completely worthless since 99% of my laser use is at around 400'.
I am confused, i thought the whole idea of using a laser jammer is that it continuosly jamms/confuses the police lidar unit, resulting in no reading being displayed.

I agree with your point in the case of a laser detector, for the reasons you've outlined, i.e. it simply let's you know in advance that you've got a ticket.

I am confused, i thought the whole idea of using a laser jammer is that it continuosly jamms/confuses the police lidar unit, resulting in no reading being displayed.

I agree with your point in the case of a laser detector, for the reasons you've outlined, i.e. it simply let's you know in advance that you've got a ticket.
From the enginerd side, the jammer does put out a series of pulses at the right frequency and rate. But the gun is typically focused on a big parabolic reflector - your headlight - giving it an instant and focused return. Of course, you could use the paint from a F-22 fighter jet on your headlight.

When you have LIDAR/LASER in the area IMHO your best defense is in how you watch the road and traffic.

You need to update your research. Laser diode jammers can prevent acquisition at point blank range.

Go the "Guys of Lidar" website and do some reading

You get rid of the RD but what if the LEO is using microwave and not laser? Does this device disrupt microwaves as well?

You need to update your research. Laser diode jammers can prevent acquisition at point blank range.
Go the "Guys of Lidar" website and do some reading
It appears they have improved some, but not one of the units on their web site provide anywhere close to total protection. In only one example did they show a complete jam. The rest of the scenarios (mind you most of which I use the Lidar), there was laser punch through.

I've escalated my war against Ontarios draconian Bill 203 by investing in a laser jammer so I no longer need the RD to see down the road to pick up laser.
My question has anyone mounted their RD hidden low in the cockpit or in the storage cubby? ( which is too narrow without being cut)

It would take a lot of luck to get the correct laser jammer vs a particular gun and at the same time have the officer fail to aim for a license plate or headlight to avoid getting a ticket. Very small odds that this would all come together.

Do I understand that you want to hide a radar detector so the Mounties won't see it? Bad idea, very bad idea. The officers use a radar detector – detector (RDD) and they work real good. Yes, some radar detectors are shielded, but not many to all detector - detectors. Another low odds scenario.

Living in Ontario myself I am familiar with the the LEO issues. I've looked into the idea of a laser jammer. Problem is (as I understand it) when the laser gun (being used by the police) is being jammed, it shows an error code. (Some jammers are better than others from what I understand, but they all tend to do this)

I suspect the LEO will see this error code and immediately realize he is being jammed. (In spite of their traffic enforcement duties, most LEO's are reasonably bright people in Ontario) So when the LEO see's the error code show up on the laser gun he will know someone in front of him has a jammer, The vehicle that passes as the error code goes away is the one with the jammer. So now the LEO will probably pull you over for a roadside chat anyways. He may not be able to prove anything or give you a ticket, but he can certainly take his time talking to you. And then _if_ he finds the jammer......

I think a better approach is passive not active. The main source of laser return signal on your FJR is the headlight reflector. Get an IR blocking cover on your headlights and I would suspect you would be pretty much invisible to the laser gun. I tried the "Veil" coating last year. Less than impressed: kinda blotchy application, first torrential rainstorm I went through washed half of it off. Plus, it blocked too much of the visible light for my preference.

My next approach (If I ever get around to it) is to get a couple of the licence plate laser blocking shields. Clear plastic that blocks the IR wavelength. Cut those to shape as headlight guards. Attach them to the headlights using some quick release mechanism (velcro). Leave them on most the time, but if I'm running at night I could just pull them off and keep them in the sidebag.

Also consider the fact that even though they use alot of laser in Ontario, they still use alot of regular Radar as well as RDD's (detector detector's). Something like the Bell STi Driver might interest you in this case.

Anyways, Just my $0.02 worth...

- Colin

It would take a lot of luck to get the correct laser jammer vs a particular gun and at the same time have the officer fail to aim for a license plate or headlight to avoid getting a ticket. Very small odds that this would all come together.

Do I understand that you want to hide a radar detector so the Mounties won't see it? Bad idea, very bad idea. The officers use a radar detector – detector (RDD) and they work real good. Yes, some radar detectors are shielded, but not many to all detector - detectors. Another low odds scenario.
I was thinking that in the case of the laser jammers, if you use more than recommended, e.g. the same number of transmitters as would be recommended for a large car on a bike you're likely to tottaly "swamp" any Lidar the cops may be using - does this not make sense?

The laser beam is so tight and the target area so small and specific that the laser return signal from a motorcycle is basically the same as one from a car.

Dude ... you really need to keep up on things

The Bel Sti has been about 2 years totally invisble to the "RDD" .. its called Spectre by the way.

The jammers use a software that ids the guns pulse rate and sends back the precise pattern to delay a read.

There is no "matching up"

Gettin back to the subject.... If ya shave yer anus, Well ya could hide it there.

No Thanks necessary.

:jester:

Living in Ontario myself I am familiar with the the LEO issues. I've looked into the idea of a laser jammer. Problem is (as I understand it) when the laser gun (being used by the police) is being jammed, it shows an error code. (Some jammers are better than others from what I understand, but they all tend to do this)

I suspect the LEO will see this error code and immediately realize he is being jammed. (In spite of their traffic enforcement duties, most LEO's are reasonably bright people in Ontario) So when the LEO see's the error code show up on the laser gun he will know someone in front of him has a jammer, The vehicle that passes as the error code goes away is the one with the jammer. So now the LEO will probably pull you over for a roadside chat anyways. He may not be able to prove anything or give you a ticket, but he can certainly take his time talking to you. And then _if_ he finds the jammer......

I think a better approach is passive not active. The main source of laser return signal on your FJR is the headlight reflector. Get an IR blocking cover on your headlights and I would suspect you would be pretty much invisible to the laser gun. I tried the "Veil" coating last year. Less than impressed: kinda blotchy application, first torrential rainstorm I went through washed half of it off. Plus, it blocked too much of the visible light for my preference.

My next approach (If I ever get around to it) is to get a couple of the licence plate laser blocking shields. Clear plastic that blocks the IR wavelength. Cut those to shape as headlight guards. Attach them to the headlights using some quick release mechanism (velcro). Leave them on most the time, but if I'm running at night I could just pull them off and keep them in the sidebag.

Also consider the fact that even though they use alot of laser in Ontario, they still use alot of regular Radar as well as RDD's (detector detector's). Something like the Bell STi Driver might interest you in this case.

Anyways, Just my $0.02 worth...

- Colin
Ok ... you've got some knowledge.

The latest jammers dont give error codes but even if they do many lidar guns give spurious error codes all the time. Light reflection, bad aiming, jerky motion etc. The Leo expereinces this all the time and nothing out of the ordinary. Of course if you JTG ... jam to gun you're going to take your chances.

The strategy is you jam only long enough to scrub off speed and then you "release" the jam... leo gets read everybody goes home happy.

Passive is good only for the long shots... you need to cover those massive headlights ... Ventura lite guard and Veil is my preferred method. Yes its hard to apply but I'm not going for good looks either. There's a new formula coming out by the way that is more effective but I havent heard how it goes on yet. I do know you can apply with one of those hobby spray kits and get a nice job.

Anyway thx for the replys

I took my Passport out of it's shell and mounted it under the cowl in the nose of my AE. I have it hard wired, and it reports to the HARD in my helmet. It works very well through the front of the bike for radar. Of course for LIDAR, you're SOL.

Latest posts